The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone ever stop to think about International Charlotte supporters that started in the early 90s vs North Carolina natives?

The native North Carloinians would now most likely follow the Charlotte Bobcats (eek), while most of us international guys followed the Hornets pathway to New Orleans, Oklahoma City and then back to Nawlins full time as the Pelicans (correct me if I'm wrong).

While we've never had too much team success, we have had a fair few superstar/hall of famers play for us and now possess the brightest future in the entire league.

What's the most exciting thing that's happened for the Bobcats/Hornets? Getting Kemba is literally the most exciting thing that's happened to them in 15 seasons. How sad is that.

A really interesting sliding doors type moment for mine.

Does anyone ever stop to think about International Charlotte supporters that started in the early 90s vs North Carolina natives?

The native North Carloinians would now most likely follow the Charlotte Bobcats (eek), while most of us international guys followed the Hornets pathway to New Orleans, Oklahoma City and then back to Nawlins full time as the Pelicans (correct me if I'm wrong).

Remember having this discussion on forums during the re-branding.

Most Louisiana folks hated the old moniker and colours. I always loved them and thought we had a unique look. It's one of the reasons I can't believe people still go ga-ga over our red unis... I mean half the NBA (literally) wears red.

I did hate having to follow a team owned by George Shinn though.

While we've never had too much team success, we have had a fair few superstar/hall of famers play for us and now possess the brightest future in the entire league.

We are Even Steven. We lose a star, we gain a star - it never fails.

Baron leaves, CP3 checks in. He checks out, AD lands. AD throws in the towel, and it's howdy doody Mr. Williamson.

And while it's hard to predict the future, this is going to be an easy team to root for. Jrue, Favors, Zion - some solid citizens there. Go Pels.

What's the most exciting thing that's happened for the Bobcats/Hornets? Getting Kemba is literally the most exciting thing that's happened to them in 15 seasons. How sad is that.

One of my mates was in the same boat and me and said something to the effect of "great time to jump off".
Both still Pels fans - he's now living in Texas, probably one of very few Pels fans in the state!

This is very much the situation I found myself in when New Orleans became the Pelicans. My head was telling me to head back to the Hornets because "Pelicans" was such a lame moniker but my heart was already too invested in the people. Dodged a bullet there.

This is very much the situation I found myself in when New Orleans became the Pelicans. My head was telling me to head back to the Hornets because "Pelicans" was such a lame moniker but my heart was already too invested in the people. Dodged a bullet there.

I hated Pelicans at first too, but like it now. They are really powerful and awesome birds

Yeah, same for me to the point where recent talk of a(nother) rebrand had me saying "hell no"!! Especially with the alternative suggestions of things like Brass or Krewe.

Voodoo could have been cool

So happy to see my baby in amazing hands.
My story is being a Charlotte fan and just following to franchise with reckless regard.

This upcoming season is the most hope this thread and fans have ever seen. Zion is just a plus.

Trust me when I say that.

WBD baby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zion weighs more than Aaron Sandilands, who struggled with knee problems for much of his career and is 15 cm shorter. Won't end well unless he goes and plays as an offensive lineman

The only team of mine I could get excited about this year and we suck. Again. The fact that Snake Davis and his Lakers are top of the league just makes it worse.

The only team of mine I could get excited about this year and we suck. Again. The fact that Snake Davis and his Lakers are top of the league just makes it worse.

Not really excited about Gentry's coaching at present.

Doesn't know whether he wants to start Faves, Melli or Okafor.

Hasn't found a niche for Redick yet.

Gives NAW the hook pretty quick.

And the defence is awful. There's no way we should be this bad defensively. I mean it's only nine games, but this is what training camp and pre-season are for.

Not really excited about Gentry's coaching at present.

Doesn't know whether he wants to start Faves, Melli or Okafor.

Hasn't found a niche for Redick yet.

Gives NAW the hook pretty quick.

And the defence is awful. There's no way we should be this bad defensively. I mean it's only nine games, but this is what training camp and pre-season are for.

Gentry is a good relational coach with players and did an excellent job bearing the brunt of the turmoil last year but otherwise his coaching is never anything to get excited about.

Though there can be a case made that the Rockets defence was poor early days under Bzdelik until they got the schemes down pat, there's no way we should be the worst defensive team with the personnel we have. Can only improve I suppose.

Underwhelming start to the year obviously but the silver lining is the game time the kids are getting. Trading back to get Hayes and NAW is currently looking a very shrewd move. There's a nice vibe amongst the squad.

So frustrating though that we finally invest so much into health and training and still manage to have a perpetual horror run with injury.

Underwhelming start to the year obviously but the silver lining is the game time the kids are getting. Trading back to get Hayes and NAW is currently looking a very shrewd move. There's a nice vibe amongst the squad.

So frustrating though that we finally invest so much into health and training and still manage to have a perpetual horror run with injury.

True, albeit none of the injuries seem too serious which at least gives us a chance to look at different line-ups.

One reason why I was confused with the Redick signing was that we must have known that this was going to be a season of experimentation. We have to find out who can play with Zion and who can't. We also of course have to see what we have with the three ex-Lakers, as well as with Hayes & NAW obviously. The reality is that we have to prioritise experimentation over winning this season despite signing two big-money vets, which is a strange state of affairs.

Having decided not to extend Ingram, it'll be intriguing to see what we do next there too. It will be a seller's market at the end of the season, and one of the handful of woeful teams with cap space will probably offer him a max or near enough to. Lots of decisions for Griff to make.

I wasn't too unhappy with staying with Gentry this season. Thought he deserved the opportunity after dealing with the tumult of last season with real integrity. But it's pretty clear that he is (and honestly, really always has been) a pretty significant part of our problems. At this rate he can't last longer than halfway through the season. Though we've been hit hard by absences, we should be better than we are and should be at least mediocre on defence. For the second half of the season, it should be Chris Finch's audition as a head coach.

I wasn't too unhappy with staying with Gentry this season. Thought he deserved the opportunity after dealing with the tumult of last season with real integrity. But it's pretty clear that he is (and honestly, really always has been) a pretty significant part of our problems. At this rate he can't last longer than halfway through the season. Though we've been hit hard by absences, we should be better than we are and should be at least mediocre on defence. For the second half of the season, it should be Chris Finch's audition as a head coach.

Tbh I think we'll ride with Gentry through the end of the season, unless it gets really bad even with Zion back.

This season was never about making the playoffs, it was more about sorting through what we added in the trade and the draft. That said, there's no excuse for us being as poor as we have lately.

I suspect if we're going to can Gentry, it''ll happen in May. I just hope Zion coming back (touch wood) doesn't inspire us to 35 wins and let Gentry coach another season. It's time for something different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back