Player Sponsorship The people’s choice is SIER - Read the Mid Season Review p 21

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m more than happy to go and can make it.
Ofcourse if there are sponsors who have not received a prize happy for them, but I’m in, sure.

:)
Enjoy it SV. I really liked it last year

JB1975 and Saintly Viewed the mid season review should be really interesting tomorrow.
Everyone will be very keen to hear your report.:)
Enjoy the evening

JB1975 and Saintly Viewed the mid season review should be really interesting tomorrow.
Everyone will be very keen to hear your report.:)
Enjoy the evening

Thanks MG. Some might say that it's an unfortunate time to visit the club, and we are indeed having a hard time of things, but I think that it's an opportune time to deepen the connection between Big Footy and the CFC.

To this end I have compiled a book of collective Big Footy wisdoms, especially my own, and I look forward to delivering this hefty tome to the club tomorrow evening. Of course I won't mention any posters by name, because it is a precious jewel emanating from the entire Collingwood Big Footy family, and it is titled 'Collingwood Big Footy: We're Here to Help...Really'. This compendium of unrelenting truth and searing insight will, I am sure, get our season back on track.

Or I could be making this up, which is my way, but I am undeniably looking forward to meeting SV and having a gawk at some of the workings of the club. I'll try and write a report worthy of the experience.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks MG. Some might say that it's an unfortunate time to visit the club, and we are indeed having a hard time of things, but I think that it's an opportune time to deepen the connection between Big Footy and the CFC.

To this end I have compiled a book of collective Big Footy wisdoms, especially my own, and I look forward to delivering this hefty tome to the club tomorrow evening. Of course I won't mention any posters by name, because it is a precious jewel emanating from the entire Collingwood Big Footy family, and it is titled 'Collingwood Big Footy: We're Here to Help...Really'. This compendium of unrelenting truth and searing insight will, I am sure, get our season back on track.

Or I could be making this up, which is my way, but I am undeniably looking forward to meeting SV and having a gawk at some of the workings of the club. I'll try and write a report worthy of the experience.

I would be happy to provide a belly button lint sculpture for you to take as a mark of esteem on behalf of us all.

I would be happy to provide a belly button lint sculpture for you to take as a mark of esteem on behalf of us all.

I think I'd appreciate that, and I also suspect that a sculpture crafted from belly button lint would seem decidedly less strange and make considerably more sense to the club than most of what gets said around these parts.

I'll pass it on to Callum Brown, because I'm sure that he can't produce any belly button lint of his own given his inadequate size of his jumpers.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think I'd appreciate that, and I also suspect that a sculpture crafted from belly button lint would seem decidedly less strange and make considerably more sense to the club than most of what gets said around these parts.

I'll pass it on to Callum Brown, because I'm sure that he can't produce any belly button lint of his own given his inadequate size of his jumpers.

Sometimes I think the belly button lint produces the person rather than the other way round. Maybe that's the answer to Callum and his fondness for crop tops and innacurate goal sense. Belly button lint. Or ponies.

I was going to do a belly button lint sculpture of a hamstring and call it "unavailable" but figure that may be too topical and obvious. Like that song I composed for that girl in year 10 called "I want to boof you but in a respectful way". My first restraining order. I'm feeling quite nostalgic.

Also I do have some heavy pony defence equipment handy and thought the club would appreciate all the firepower it could get given the only inevitable next step in the on going cluster* of a season we are having is a full blown pony incursion. If you would just like to go to the Panamanian flagged freighter at berth 12 and ask for Jamal he will set you up. The crates will be marked "baby powder. Do not drop".

If you run into any problems tell them you were taking orders from a seven foot bipedal horse. When they commit you be nice to Crusher. He's my homey. By the way I don't know you.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was interesting night.

I’ll write a bit more when I have a bit more time later tonight.

Justin Longmuir was main speaker. Very very astute guy.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Review Night ~ Theatre Glasshouse

The review was tonight and the main presenter was Justin Longmuir.
Brad Gotch was also present.

It’s evident that Justin, has a deep understanding of football. Can see why he is considered a coach in waiting.

He is in charge of the defensive group.

Tonight we were presented with an overview of what a defensive coach presents to the playing group match on match.

We got to see the basics presented for the Richmond game.

They have a real good IT / Video program called Pierro. (I remember the name as a horse named Pierro won the Golden Slipper. But I digress.)

They show where the players should be positioned and what the opposition is looking to do. There was quite a bit on this.

Justin also likes to present an idea pre game day with some humour. In this case he presented a lost bet guy who had to jump out a plane. A fake jump and was showing players a bit of humour.

A real take away from me is the idea that players both on and off the field need to focus on the tasks at hand and not get unfocused. He said no player can be present 100% of the time on field but the better players learn to re focus quickly. An example might be a poor disposal so player thinks about that for too long. Or focus on a poor umpire decision. The lesser player let’s it play on their mind for too long then maybe make more mistakes. The champion player puts it aside quickly and treats the next kick or handball n it’s merits.

(A good laugh was had, when he said to us, do we focus on a bad umpire decision during a game and forget to focus on the ball. Touché.)

There was observations about how we are losing our shape and our poorer running and disposal.

All the faults we think of are very well known by the coaches.

It was discussed as there is a slight dint in confidence. We have had two 6 day breaks in a row, 2 travel games in a row. It’s not an out for the playing group but a reason.

We just have to keep working hard. We have a fortunate 9 day break where the payers are encouraged to keep handling the ball. Play freely.

Injuries were just covered but they know all about it and then the time was pretty much up.

I think the key messages are the club coaches are very aware of everything and seeking to work through it.

The coaching group is very collaborative. Justin says every coach can say any suggestion and best idea wins.

For me, it was an interesting insight into preparation. And some aspects of how the game is played and what the team is looking to do.

A very even competition. They feel they can get back to their better form which they feel stands up to any side.

SV's report is excellent, pretty much covers the entire session. In fact, I hope that our players retain as much info from Longmuir's presentations as Saintly.

I suppose I tried to imagine what it'd be like to have to absorb Longmuir's instructions and to have to listen to him all the time, and I have to say that there's something quite personable about the guy. He has a way of delivering a fair amount of content in an earthy and concise manner, so no surprise to me at all that the players have reportedly responded well to him.

He acknowledged that injuries have placed some pressure on the cohesion of the defensive group, but my impression is that he remains satisfied with the overall performance of our defence. On the other hand, there was considerable discussion about the broader performance of the team, and the inference could be drawn that things such as ball movement, midfield output, low clearance numbers, and reduced pressure were all applying greater stress on our defence.

The confidence of the playing group is rather low, which seems quite evident to most observers, but the review opened out a bit on the ways in which this lack of confidence --both individually and collectively-- can manifest and perpetuate itself. Too many players getting sucked into contests is one part of it, but slow ball movement, lack of running from congestion, unwillingness to pull the trigger with key handballs and kicks, and the failure to execute basic skills under a modicum of pressure are also elements of the same problem.

But the players maintain morale, and they maintain a belief that things can turn. The considerable break between the Richmond game and our next outing will give the players a lot more time on the training track, which gives them some opportunity to regroup emotionally and to recover physically.

There were a couple of references to the Melbourne game, which appears to be a high-water mark this season in terms of our pressure and ball movement. This is the standard we need to rediscover. The coaching staff are as frustrated as the supporters by our crab-like movement (which is also playing havoc with the running patterns of our forwards), and there has been no major strategic shift to have brought this painful play upon us, but the trick is to restore the player's confidence in themselves and in their teammates. Easier said that done, but the club certainly doesn't see the situation as hopeless.

The hour went fast. I've sat in other lecture theatres for that period of time where it felt like time travelling, like I'd aged a decade while the rest of the world barely took a breath, but that was an engrossing and enjoyable 60 minutes. My thanks to the Big Footy crew for enabling the experience, and a shout out to MG for organising it.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is he in fact lazy and underperforming as a result ? If so trade
Not the thread for that.

Plenty of other threads to go to town.

This is about our player sponsorship which is a great part of bigfooty if that’s of interest to participants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Review Night ~ Theatre Glasshouse

The review was tonight and the main presenter was Justin Longmuir.
Brad Gotch was also present.

It’s evident that Justin, has a deep understanding of football. Can see why he is considered a coach in waiting.

He is in charge of the defensive group.

Tonight we were presented with an overview of what a defensive coach presents to the playing group match on match.

We got to see the basics presented for the Richmond game.

They have a real good IT / Video program called Pierro. (I remember the name as a horse named Pierro won the Golden Slipper. But I digress.)

They show where the players should be positioned and what the opposition is looking to do. There was quite a bit on this.

Justin also likes to present an idea pre game day with some humour. In this case he presented a lost bet guy who had to jump out a plane. A fake jump and was showing players a bit of humour.

A real take away from me is the idea that players both on and off the field need to focus on the tasks at hand and not get unfocused. He said no player can be present 100% of the time on field but the better players learn to re focus quickly. An example might be a poor disposal so player thinks about that for too long. Or focus on a poor umpire decision. The lesser player let’s it play on their mind for too long then maybe make more mistakes. The champion player puts it aside quickly and treats the next kick or handball n it’s merits.

(A good laugh was had, when he said to us, do we focus on a bad umpire decision during a game and forget to focus on the ball. Touché.)

There was observations about how we are losing our shape and our poorer running and disposal.

All the faults we think of are very well known by the coaches.

It was discussed as there is a slight dint in confidence. We have had two 6 day breaks in a row, 2 travel games in a row. It’s not an out for the playing group but a reason.

We just have to keep working hard. We have a fortunate 9 day break where the payers are encouraged to keep handling the ball. Play freely.

Injuries were just covered but they know all about it and then the time was pretty much up.

I think the key messages are the club coaches are very aware of everything and seeking to work through it.

The coaching group is very collaborative. Justin says every coach can say any suggestion and best idea wins.

For me, it was an interesting insight into preparation. And some aspects of how the game is played and what the team is looking to do.

A very even competition. They feel they can get back to their better form which they feel stands up to any side.

SV's report is excellent, pretty much covers the entire session. In fact, I hope that our players retain as much info from Longmuir's presentations as Saintly.

I suppose I tried to imagine what it'd be like to have to absorb Longmuir's instructions and to have to listen to him all the time, and I have to say that there's something quite personable about the guy. He has a way of delivering a fair amount of content in an earthy and concise manner, so no surprise to me at all that the players have reportedly responded well to him.

He acknowledged that injuries have placed some pressure on the cohesion of the defensive group, but my impression is that he remains satisfied with the overall performance of our defence. On the other hand, there was considerable discussion about the broader performance of the team, and the inference could be drawn that things such as ball movement, midfield output, low clearance numbers, and reduced pressure were all applying greater stress on our defence.

The confidence of the playing group is rather low, which seems quite evident to most observers, but the review opened out a bit on the ways in which this lack of confidence --both individually and collectively-- can manifest and perpetuate itself. Too many players getting sucked into contests is one part of it, but slow ball movement, lack of running from congestion, unwillingness to pull the trigger with key handballs and kicks, and the failure to execute basic skills under a modicum of pressure are also elements of the same problem.

But the players maintain morale, and they maintain a belief that things can turn. The considerable break between the Richmond game and our next outing will give the players a lot more time on the training track, which gives them some opportunity to regroup emotionally and to recover physically.

There were a couple of references to the Melbourne game, which appears to be a high-water mark this season in terms of our pressure and ball movement. This is the standard we need to rediscover. The coaching staff are as frustrated as the supporters by our crab-like movement (which is also playing havoc with the running patterns of our forwards), and there has been no major strategic shift to have brought this painful play upon us, but the trick is to restore the player's confidence in themselves and in their teammates. Easier said that done, but the club certainly doesn't see the situation as hopeless.

The hour went fast. I've sat in other lecture theatres for that period of time where it felt like time travelling, like I'd aged a decade while the rest of the world barely took a breath, but that was an engrossing and enjoyable 60 minutes. My thanks to the Big Footy crew for enabling the experience, and a shout out to MG for organising it.

Wonderful insights. I really hope we don't lose him so soon.

Wonderful insights. I really hope we don't lose him so soon.

It would be good to hold onto him for a bit longer, at least until the end of the season, but the best people in Longmuir's line of work will always have one foot out the door. He's a WA lad, so if Freo are keen on Longmuir then I reckon he'd be keen on them.

The imperative is to try and make our coaching group resemble the on-field defence, so that the system is strong enough to cover the loss of specific individuals...as much as it can for as long as it can.

I was lucky enough to win the President's Dinner prize for last night, and I have been anticipating and looking forward to it all year.

It was an amazing night and I had some wonderful dedicated Collingwood supporters on my table, including GoneCritical, who was an excellent companion both at the table and watching the game. He kept me calm when the game got stressful and we shared many happy Collingwood memories of the past.

I was a bit overwhelmed by how many people were at the President's Dinner - over 300! I had no idea of this corporate world of footy, as I'm usually just an ordinary supporter, rugged up in the stands. The night went too quickly, with the dinner, speeches and the game, which was all-consuming. I wish I had had more time to just savour the atmosphere and relax. I saw Eddie and a couple of ex players but the huge numbers meant that it certainly wasn't an intimate night, but very enjoyable and a fantastic experience.

Thanks BigFooty and MagpieGirl for the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back