Mod. Notice The people have spoken, the mods have listened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting week on the board, seems like angst despite wins at times. All good

This thread is not the official game day thread but rather a precursor to explain the next step in trialling dual game day threads and giving posters a heads up on our thinking.

Last week I was being a bit distracted so didn't pay great attention to the new threads and the subsequent discussion. As such it was Vicky Park, 76woodenspooners, Magpie Girl and especially Anzacday who did the hard yards and shouldered the work. As such in our discussions behind the scenes AD suggested that I as the most unaligned and laziest would be best to announce the 2nd instalment of dual threads. So here I am. Seriously though AD put a lot of work into this and is to be thanked.

I want to make a few points first. Reading through the threads after the fact was interesting. There was far more angst than required and too much looking for sinister motives.

The first thing to say this was created out of a desire to improve the game day thread and trial something new. Despite some interpretations to the contrary there was absolutely no desire to create two camps of posters. The two threads are designed for whoever wants to participate and participation in both is encouraged.

Second is, like the posters, the mods have mixed views about the need and benefits of the dual thread concept. It was discussed and opinions varied reflecting very well the feelings of the board. We are not as a group trying to force a view onto the rest of the board. This idea came from the discussions we have with a number of posters about how they see the game day thread. Some have problems with it. This is an attempt to try something new and hopefully improve the board. While we don't all see dual threads as ideal what we are united in is a desire to give the idea a fair chance and not scuttle it before it has a chance to succeed or fail. It will be trailed and discussed with input from anyone interested and may become something we go forward with.

Third is last match day too many posters started seeing problems that weren't there. The naming of the threads was a tip to the club colours, a recognition that these were two equal Collingwood threads. There was absolutely no racial overtones as some suggested. There was no good posters bad posters. There was no division of posters intended. Unfortunately after some good natured posting the concept of the White v Black was taken far too far. No need to apportion blame to anyone but posters from both sides of the divide some of you sort to create were at fault. Emphasise both sides of non existent sides.

Still there were some positives to come out of the trial, many posters seem to have enjoyed it and there is enough good will for us to listen, modify and try again. So this week we will have two game days threads for everyone. The will be renamed "Lets analyse this" and "In the outer". No names are perfect but rather than find fault with this attempt we would ask you to embrace the postive, give the idea it's chance and then we can all rediscuss in the next instalment of " The people have spoken"

"In the outer"

As the name suggests this thread is designed to include the sort of short witty, frustrated, rapturous, angry, dismayed, smartass, taunting, pissed off, victorious, etc etc comments you may hear shouted from the crowd at any footy crowd. Let your emotions go a bit , vent. Analyse a bit if you like, make a deeper or longer comment. Heckle another supporter within the confines of what BF accepts. Dip at the umpires or opposition. Having a discussion is fine but remember it may get lost in the noise and excitement so to speak. If you have to sift through others short tirades to have that discussion I am sure you are not the poster that will mind.

"Let's analyse this"
Imagine you are sitting down at quarter time with your mates. The bloke behind you has let go with some profanities mixed with great sledges that made you laugh. The old lady in front you are worried is going to burst a boiler if the umpires pay another free against the Pies. Real "in the outer" stuff. For now though you and your mates are analysing the match a bit more. Comments on individual players , discussion of tactics, prognostications on the match etc etc. Bit more analysis than "in the outer". Can be angry, circumspect, triumphant or whatever but won't be straight out venting like some of the comments we see from "in the outer"

So this will be the basis of the game day threads that will go up tomorrow. More than anything we want to emphasise there is no design to have two camps of posters. We will actively work against that idea. Some of last weeks problems came when banter changed to posters directing other posters to one or other thread. As such we will come down on anyone who tries to give such directions this week. Deleted posts and even thread bans will be applied. Likewise for this week let the moderators be the judge of whether comments are appropriate to the thread. Any poster who has a concern can report their concern to us rather than police the thread themselves.

Enough of the negativity. Let's embrace the concept of two different game day threads designed for all, give it a chance and then discuss it in the aftermath.

A win will make this a whole lot easier. Go Pies.

Last edited:
Wow.. you guys are taking this seriously? I think it's a good idea personally. But can you clarify the rules and expectations a bit clearer. I see myself swinging between the two but mainly staying in the outer. Hypothetically, If I feel the urge to drop into the sedate thread and lob a few hand grenades just to make sure they are still alive in there (and I know this is going to be very tempting) .. what will you mods do? Likewise, if someone in the outer thread starts calling out posters for emotional ranting...

Im thinking the concept will only work if you guys delete "inflammatory" posts fairly quickly before they illicit too many responses. And if we as posters be sensible for a change, exercise restraint and refrain from our primal urges and respect the tone of the thread we're in. Best of luck.

I thought the obvious elephant in the room attributed to our colors was hilarious. Funnier reading through the threads seeing SphecialEd posting in the white game-day thread with obvious posts that should have been in the black thread. It was like he was the character where Eddie Murphy plays a blind guy, finds out he is white and loses his s**t. That seen was funny, and the game day concept was and will be a lot of fun.

I want to be from the outer and I also want to analyze too. So I will be in both camps. Well done mods for sticking to the concept. I'd try and rejig the threads and rename them. 'Lets analyze this is a little lame but all in all good work. I hope posters can take it lightly and enjoy the board, nothing stays the same.

Well done and you know it will be possible to post in both threads. Mught well bd quite cathartic

Good summation Gone C.

I think this is a good approach.

My biggest gripe (not that I am a griper) is the old match day thread at times, became too much repeated nasty comment at individuals. It likely was the reasons some posters on the whole steered clear of the game day thread.

Anyway it's been discussed, this approach of two threads seem quite good.

Let the fun begin.

Most importantly let's win the game :)

I think you'll find the people in the 'let's analyze this' thread are generally more, 'it's just a game at the end of the day' type posters so as long as you are not trying to ruin the experience and it's in good fun, your banter, if in good taste will be welcomed IMO.
And for some of the more passionate supporters this explains their need to poke the more calm analytical supporters with a stick.. Looking for signs of life. Conversely the analytical posters find it very hard to not admonish the childish tantrums they see and are unable to relate to. It's all a big interesting social experiment.

And for some of the more passionate supporters this explains their need to poke the more calm analytical supporters with a stick.. Looking for signs of life. Conversely the analytical posters find it very hard to not admonish the childish tantrums they see and are unable to relate to. It's all a big interesting social experiment.

Being passionate and/or analytical is not mutually exclusive Doodles.

Being passionate and/or analytical is not mutually exclusive Doodles.

Yep, being passionate doesn't require someone to go off the deep end. I bleed black and white, but I rarely feel the need to go off my tree at certain players, or the club (particularly on a message board).

Mods, good work on the names. Hard work to please everyone.

you and poking ;)

All part of the rich tapestry of poking posting :p

Doubt you'll find many on bigfooty. I'm as passionate as they come I'm also very analytical.
Lol.. you are kidding aren't you! There are plenty who couldn't analyse a stop sign. Equally there are plenty who display the passion equivalent of a cumcumber sandwich.

Lol.. you are kidding aren't you! There are plenty who couldn't analyse a stop sign. Equally there are plenty who display the passion equivalent of a cumcumber sandwich.
IMG_1370.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, but you're looking in the wrong place. The fact people are passionate that they've registered a bigfooty account suggest they aren't in the cucumber zone. Don't you agree?

Last edited:
Yep, being passionate doesn't require someone to go off the deep end. I bleed black and white, but I rarely feel the need to go off my tree at certain players, or the club (particularly on a message board).

Mods, good work on the names. Hard work to please everyone.
It's more about having the emotional intelligence to realise that for some other posters who are not YOU ...it does...

Oh mods! It's not easy being blue when something alternatively green gets a boisterous red flag on a day turned intellectually yellow that the white characters of keyboards morph towards exhortations so black.
Now that Debono can no longer be pulled out the hat my next trick shall be to shift the PC (ahem) away from the Outer room so I can gloriously ponder AT the game!
6d594925cd66a8e8c22cb39c5279863e.jpg

Bleed black and white I say and be done with it. One thread two threads once I caught a fish alive (look it up if you have to) - it doesn't matter if people get carried away for aren't we all side by side anyway
9de707a9ecf81c0c21a4829b73f2a207.jpg

Yep, but you're looking in the wrong place. The fact people are passionate about registering a bigfooty account suggest they aren't in the cucumber zone. Don't you agree?
No, we are talking about expression. This is a forum for expression, be it passion and emotion or be it analytical thought. You get judged on what and how you express here... Not on signing up. It is encumbent on us all to recognise that we all express differently and we all have a right to express differently without the judgement and condemnation. That is where it goes wrong... The judgement and condemnation.

No, we are talking about expression. This is a forum for expression, be it passion and emotion or be it analytical thought. You get judged on what and how you express here... Not on signing up. It is encumbent on us all to recognise that we all express differently and we all have a right to express differently without the judgement and condemnation. That is where it goes wrong... The judgement and condemnation.

Yeah, so why is there opposition to people doing this in separate threads?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Um sorry, so you are agreeing with us?
Not at all. What I read from your posts... You are basically saying that everyone who doesn't post like you, or who post stuff you wouldn't, that is emotional, petulant, angry etc in a game day thread is an idiot. It's exactly this attitude that has brought us to a two thread scenario.

Not at all. What I read from your posts... You are basically saying that everyone who doesn't post like you, or who post stuff you wouldn't, that is emotional, petulant, angry etc in a game day thread is an idiot. It's exactly this attitude that has brought us to a two thread scenario.
Err no. The opposite actually.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back