Expansion The perfect AFL fixture requires 22 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL just needs to stop basing the fixture around the big Vic teams. The games featuring the big clubs are slotted into the prime times and everythig else is organized around that ensuring nothing will ever change.
Not one Friday night fixture at the new Perth stadium, seriously.
The Saints, Dogs, Roos and Ds need to join forces with the interstate clubs and demand a more equitable fixture.

I reckon the AFL got the shits on a couple of weeks back when the WA Government said you aint getting revenue from other events at Perth Stadium so they just said no big games at the new stadium.
And once again our pathetic CEO's of our two clubs just accept it and make excuses like it is hard to do a fixture. I got to give it to AFL house, they seem to have all the presidents firmly by the balls.
Won't happen bit until there is a breakaway league formed which would not be every hard to do then it will always be organised around the old VFL clubs and their wants and needs. We joined it so we have to put up with it until we have the balls to walk away with the other clubs outside of Victoria and start again.

3/4 of the country, perhaps, but when you rule out those who don't care whoever plays, the Vic market is about 50% of the football audience.

You would be correct I reckon and half the footballing audience not interested is a lot, I know how it works Telsor but it really has become a bore Friday night footy when once it was of interest. But it is on Tv so many still watch it. Just as they would if it was Sydney V Fremantle or West Coast V Adelaide.

The lack of Friday night games in Perth has more to do with time zones than it does 'big vic clubs'. (and a bit to both WA teams not exactly expected to figure hugely next year).

If you don't believe me, check how many such games Adelaide gets.
You’re just being Bias towards eastern states though. Do you think West Australian’s enjoy the 1:10 est games in an international comp. The big vic supporters might get a little upset if they’re required to stay up late in front of the telly.

Only way to have a truly fair comp is a true H&A season.
Time to cull the numbers by meging. What is fair for one is fair for all.
Merged teams alternate jumpers between the former clubs.

Richmond - Melbourne = Melbourne Tigers
Essendon - North = Essendon Roos
Saints - Hawks = Southern Saints
Collingwood Carlton = Collingwood Blues
Geelong - Bulldogs = Geelong Dogs
New team = Tasmanian Devils
Gold Coast may end up representing Northern Australia and play in Darwin, Alice, Cairns, & Townsville.
14 team comp and 26 game H&A season.
All fixed!

hows this one.

keep the current 18 teams.

play 23 rounds in years 1 & 2 and 22 rounds in year 3.

that would means 68 games over a 3 year period, 4 v every team , 2 home, 2 away.

still not even however, as you may draw a club twice in year 1 when they are good and once in year 3 when they are hopeless.

besides the AFL would not go with this as it would mean blockbusters, rivalry games and derby's etc would not be played twice every year.

you could also play an allstars/state of origin type game in year 3 to cover that extra week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back