Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun times in Kalgoorlie

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/c...t-after-local-boys-death-20160830-gr4bzn.html

A 55 year old man was due to appear in court on manslaughter charges following the death of a 14 year old boy last weekend

Protesters aside the courthouse wanting justice have gone ballistic - it seems the man driving a ute has had a "crash" with the boy who was riding a scooter which had earlier been reported stolen

The way I read it was a 55 year old bloke hit a 14 year old kid who was riding a stolen scooter.

"which was reported stolen on Sunday and was linked to the accused, was involved in a crash with the 55-year-old"

This is the bit where I thought it was either his scooter or someone he knows.

Which had been stolen from him - is that how others read it. Talk about taking road rage to the next level.

Would be a crazy place to be atm - tempers would be running extremely high

It reads that way doesn't it

This is a powder keg I fear. I'm not sure what Kalgoorlie is like but I suspect the issues with some indigenous youth aren't dissimilar to what they were like in Broome

Petty theft is an issue so I'd hazard a guess that the boy has stolen the scooter and the man has either chased, gone looking or randomly crossed paths with him and run him down deliberately (he's being charged with manslaughter so it's not considered an accident by the cops)

The report doesn't say but it's a fair assumption the 55 year old man was white

There will be a lot of people excusing the mans actions on the basis that youth crime is very frustrating and that not enough is done to prevent it and/or punish the perpetrators. Whilst I can understand him being upset it in no way justifies killing the boy by any stretch

Conversely the indigenous community will obviously be upset that a young boy has been killed by a white man and will be looking for justice/retribution hence the protests.

Level heads will be needed but ****ed if I'd want to be anywhere near that town right now

Why are they protesting about demanding justice by attacking the court building, where the accused is about to face court? Isn't that justice in it's proper form??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are they protesting about demanding justice by attacking the court building, where the accused is about to face court? Isn't that justice in it's proper form??
Because like all these protests, a fair proportion of them are just there because it's a good excuse to shout and smash stuff.

If the kid was killed in a police chase, I could understand it. I wouldn't agree with it, but I'd understand it.

If the kid was killed in a police chase, I could understand it. I wouldn't agree with it, but I'd understand it.

There must of been stuff happening in the lead up to all of this and this has lit the fuse. Doesn't help in anyway and I read the family is trying to defuse the situation.

Takeaway Alcohol ban in place is interesting in a place like Kalgoorlie

Wasn't unusual in Broome for the cops to shutdown the bottleshops if trouble was brewing or they thought there might be some - people in the surrounding communities coming to town for a big funeral was often a trigger. I'd suggest Kalgoorlie would be similar

That's on top of the restrictions already in place - no beer in longnecks, no alcohol sold in larger than a 750ml container so no cask wine/goon bags, only one visit per day per person etc

It's a circuit breaker

There must of been stuff happening in the lead up to all of this and this has lit the fuse. Doesn't help in anyway and I read the family is trying to defuse the situation.

Mate this has been brewing for a long time, I think it was inevitable.

There are reports also that a heap of grog was knocked off this morning from a pub in Boulder.

Things could get a bit sportier tonight.

Would hate to be the person working in the pubs when that happens.

Do the bottle shops just close there doors
Yep, just shut the doors - you might get half an hour or so notice that it was happening but if you were out of beer stiff s**t you weren't getting any.

If there wasn't any trouble they'd reopen - keep in mind no bottle shops ever opened before midday either. I'm still surprised to see bottleshops open at 9 in the morning here after two years back in Perth

Which had been stolen from him - is that how others read it. Talk about taking road rage to the next level.

Would be a crazy place to be atm - tempers would be running extremely high

It's what they said on the radio this afternoon, Mix 94.5 (yes, I am that old). Motor scooter was stolen from the man, Sunday, he saw it ride past his house Monday so jumped in his ute and set off in chase.

It's what they said on the radio this afternoon, Mix 94.5 (yes, I am that old). Motor scooter was stolen from the man, Sunday, he saw it ride past his house Monday so jumped in his ute and set off in chase.

Car and motorbike theft (in fact, anything that pretty much isn't nailed down or locked up) is a daily way of life in parts of Kal./Boulder There's almost daily videos posted online of offenders just brazenly entering properties and helping themselves, they don't give a stuff, nothing happens to them.

People feel like they're living under siege in their own homes.

S
Car and motorbike theft (in fact, anything that pretty much isn't nailed down or locked up) is a daily way of life in parts of Kal./Boulder There's almost daily videos posted online of offenders just brazenly entering properties and helping themselves, they don't give a stuff, nothing happens to them.

People feel like they're living under siege in their own homes.
Sounds great must move up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back