Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimmy-mcnulty.gif

What shits me is we had this one bloke go through multiple times saying he's pretty keen but it hasn't got a rangehood in the kitchen and it doesn't have a garage door and the clothesline doesn't go up and down so I will offer you $30k below the asking price. Mate.. I'll put a ******* rangehood, garage door and brand new clothesline in if you give me what I'm asking. How's that? No? Well **** off then and stop wasting my time with your bullshit low balling. I'll rent it out again to shitful tenants before I give it away to some moron who thinks they're on gumtree. /rant

$30k under asking isn't a low ball offer, but that's a pretty piss poor justification. A house near me sold recently and the owners were offered $300k under asking. Considering the asking was under $1m that's a low ball offer. Real estate is a mix of people who think that a weekend spent painting and tidying up the garden adds $50k to their house and people who think that dated tiles in the bathroom warrant a $50k discount.

You get a like for McNulty.gif, though.

$30k under asking isn't a low ball offer, but that's a pretty piss poor justification. A house near me sold recently and the owners were offered $300k under asking. Considering the asking was under $1m that's a low ball offer. Real estate is a mix of people who think that a weekend spent painting and tidying up the garden adds $50k to their house and people who think that dated tiles in the bathroom warrant a $50k discount.

You get a like for McNulty.gif, though.
It's all relative. $30k below the bottom end of the range we have on it which is very reasonable to begin with given the competition and the current market is still low balling. $300k below sounds unbelievable. I've never heard of that happening before with a house priced under the million to start with and I doubt the real estate agent would have even bothered writing it up unless the owners were ridiculously desperate in which case perhaps the agent told the buyers this just to get the sale..

Bertram is pretty cheap by Perth standards but I still don't think $30k under asking is offensive. IIRC when I bought my place the price was reduced a few times then I offered $20k below the asking range. From what I heard 2nd hand the place I was talking about was listed in the $800s and sold in the high $700s, so an offer in the $400s is almost a 50% discount. No agent worth their salt would write that up.

If you list a house for $300k for example and the best offer you get is $270k then that's what it's worth at the time. There are a s**t ton of houses built in new developments in Perth post 2000 where the land was cheap and the houses were cheaply built, so it's a buyer's market. Sucks if you are trying to sell but market forces are market forces. 'Well I listed it for $300k so don't worry about any offers higher than that' said no home owner ever.

Bertram is pretty cheap by Perth standards but I still don't think $30k under asking is offensive.
It's very competitively priced so whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm offended it does s**t me. It's a waste of everyone's time. If you put a range on a house you're expecting somewhere in the middle of that not $30k below the minimum. As I said, I'll rent it out again before I give it away but maybe you'd be happy to take that. Horses for courses/each to his own. I don't have a problem with low balling either if that's the starting point of your negotiation. I've still got a price I won't go below so start wherever you like because that won't change. The bloke I'm talking about was a first and final offer based on the reasons already stated. G.T.F.O. Go and buy a house that already has all the things you seem to think are deal breakers/a reason for me to bend over and give you a house. It aint happening no matter how many times you come to the home opens and seem keen. Find at least another $30k or maybe go look in the older parts of Orelia, Medina, Calista or Parmelia. I'm sure there's some real bargains there.

Hmm.. you got me ranting again.

Ranting is healthy.

Expectation is the issue in buying and selling things. My house had a range, I offered under that range, they accepted. Were they desperate to sell? Did I get a bargain? Was their range optimistic? All irrelevant in the end. As a potential buyer I'm under no obligation to offer inside your range, and as the seller you are under no obligation to engage my offer. Whatever range you set, you are always going to have people nibbling at or below the bottom end. If you set a range of say $300-330k expecting $315k and don't engage any offers below $300k that is your prerogative. The reality is that if there are 10 or 20 or 50 comparable houses in that price bracket then odds are someone will be willing to accept a low ball offer and there are people out there looking for that someone. I've also seen houses sit for 6-12 months then sell for less than supposed low ball offers.

I'd rather live north of the river than in that pocket of Kwinana that is now Bertram, Wellard, Aubin Grove & Orelia.

Excuse me. There is nothing wrong with Aubin Grove and it is much further north than Kwinana thank you.

Holy shite, there's houses in Medina that are >200k. That's cheaper than Armadale, which I've always considered the pinnacle of Perth's cheapest and nastiest. Even Orelia and Parmelia are cheaper. Something must be real rotten in the city of Kwinana.

Holy shite, there's houses in Medina that are >200k. That's cheaper than Armadale, which I've always considered the pinnacle of Perth's cheapest and nastiest. Even Orelia and Parmelia are cheaper. Something must be real rotten in the city of Kwinana.

Always have been cheaper than Armadale.

They are usually old and small timber-framed houses. Poorly insulated and cold in winter. High maintenance and usually in need of substantial renovation.

What used to be first home buyer stuff but these days the grant only applies to new builds, so that's where the first home buyers go. Into their brand new modern and much more energy-efficient homes, usually with underground power and fibre NBN.

Are they funky and cold?

Armadale hasn't been the worst in a long time, not since they tipped millions into the city centre. Don't get me wrong, parts of it are fecking terrifying, but even in its own region, Gozzy and Maddo are worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People picking on my area. :(

But you're mostly right. Medina and Calista are pretty shitty. It's like a throw-back to the 80s with shitty shops and bingo halls. Kwinana shopping centre attracts all the dregs of the area and the nearby pub is pretty bad, but we've never seen anything that bad. Leda, Orelia and Parmelia are bad, and Betram isn't any better. Just really shitty houses and no pride in them, s**t all over the verge, kids riding around all hours of the day etc. Big drug problem, but I guess that's everywhere nowadays.

Crazy thing is they actually have pretty good schools; Peter Carnley Anglican, King's College and St. Vincent's have really good facilities etc. and they'er building a new $15 million school in Wellard.

We're at the Wellard Village and very happy. The house next to us is for sale with the guy looking to take a $60k hit. There appears to be a lot of renters and a lot of houses for sale. Maybe they thought they'd turn a quick profit...But from I've seen, it's a good, quiet area. Hardy hear anything bad happening around the place except for the odd car break-in. Lots of families and business-people getting off the train. Providence is down the road and that's a popular, good-looking estate.

I don't know. It's not perfect, but it suits us (and a lot of people). We came up from Waroona to be closer to work. Waroona has a lot of problems, and none of that is really related to the fires. Wellard has great public transport which suits us, lots of good parks, we have a good house with a grassed backyard and we can take our dogs to the a lot of really good, quiet places like the Spectacles or Sloan Reserve or Kwinana beach.

I've never understood the logic behind putting a range on a house for sale. If you advertise a property at say $450-$499,000 then what buyer is going to offer anything over $450k

In a sellers market maybe, when there's a possibility of multiple buyers wanting to make an offer but not in this market

I've never understood the logic behind putting a range on a house for sale. If you advertise a property at say $450-$499,000 then what buyer is going to offer anything over $450k

In a sellers market maybe, when there's a possibility of multiple buyers wanting to make an offer but not in this market

Real estate agent horse s**t, really.

'What did that sell for?'
'In the range of $700-800k'
'Thanks, that's really helpful. utensil'

Seller wants the top number. Agent wants to bring people in with the bottom number and try and drive them towards each other.

When I rise to power real estate agents will be summarily executed.

Life would be simpler if every house just had a price and you could only offer that price to buy it.

Not selling for $500k, make it $490k. Etc.
I'm interested in a place that's advertised "325k-375k".

C'mon man, just cut to the chase.

About 16 years ago we looked at a unit in Highgate and it ended up with us and a single mother with a baby at the agent's office to put in an offer. We went first, made our offer and the single mother then made an offer $100 or something more and got the place. Pretty obvious the agent told her what our offer was. Bitch.

I'd prefer that to the usual bullshit they carry on with.

Technically they can't disclose the details once a property is under offer, but 'sif they won't drop the world's most unsubtle hints if there's an extra buck in it for them.

'House is listed for $500k. That person over there has offered $500k. Here, this piece of paper says so. Do you want to make an offer?' would be A OK with me.

I'd prefer that to the usual bullshit they carry on with.

Technically they can't disclose the details once a property is under offer, but 'sif they won't drop the world's most unsubtle hints if there's an extra buck in it for them.

'House is listed for $500k. That person over there has offered $500k. Here, this piece of paper says so. Do you want to make an offer?' would be A OK with me.
Would you be okay with that if you were the one that offered $500k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back