Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, I think its a great location and would go there a fair but I reckon. But what happens to the bowls club? Old people have plenty of time on their hands to write letters and complain to the Council, so will be hard to see it getting off the ground.
I'm not sure how I know this but I think the bowls club moving has been on the cards for some time but I didn't know what was happening to the land.

Good on Freo council.

people will whinge, Call everyone campaigners, Complain that it's PC gone mad

But we're heading towards a direction where we are talking, Maybe in 5-10 years we can talk about "maybe we've failed the aboriginal people a bit, what can we do better?"

Good on Freo council.

But we're heading towards a direction where we are talking, Maybe in 5-10 years we can talk about "maybe we've failed the aboriginal people a bit, what can we do better?"
I get that but surely this decision's real basis is fiscal in nature.

Good on Freo council.

The thing is the kids wouldn't have a clue about this. They just aren't generally brought up that way now, all they see is that their event is taken away.

Why don't Freo put on some celebrations as well on NAIDOC day for example then if they already don't?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support the decision because I would like to see the celebration moved to a different date and even if at this stage it's just one council, it's one small step. But this appears quite rushed and shortsighted and TBH I think this decision by Fremantle council will, rather than reconcile just cause division and widen the gap again. How much consultation took place and with who - it feels more like a lack of funding and an excuse was needed to can it and this was it - I so hope I'm wrong

The thing is the Freo council fireworks were lauded as a family friendly day to peacefully celebrate compared to the drunken yobbo violence that often strikes at the Skyworks. So the Freo mayor seemingly has a few of his mates get into his ear that its a 'non inclusive' event and is planning to spend that money elsewhere? Smacks of nepotism and bullshit.

Why can't we just move Australia Day to a different date?
To what day though?

January 26 is a significant date in our history whether people like it or not. The day we officially separated from Britain and moved from a colony to a nation would make sense but that day is January 1st which from a celebration pov is hardly ideal

To change Australia Day is a massive shift especially in the absence of a logical alternative

Jan 26 may be a significant day but it was also a date which has significance to indigenous people as a lot of atrocities occurred on that day. Don't see why we can't change the date. Banning the celebrations altogether is a little bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back