Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

McGowan posted this on Facebook:

If you've turned a radio on or opened the paper this morning you've probably already caught Mr Palmer's ads. I want to take a moment here to clear up the facts about what the laws we have just passed mean. I'll be extremely clear:
  • These laws are not about stopping him from proceeding with a project.
  • The iron ore at Balmoral South is still there. Mr Palmer still has his right to make a proposal to dig it up, or to sell that right to someone else.
  • The laws we passed last night do not change that.
  • The laws also don't stop Mr Palmer from collecting, as he has said publicly, over a million dollars per day in royalties from other projects in WA.
  • They are about protecting WA from him potentially claiming around $30 billion from us - because he CHOSE not to proceed with the project because of the conditions he was required to operate under.
  • All mining projects in Western Australia have conditions that they are required to operate under - and those conditions are fundamental to the operation of our mining industry.
  • The only difference here is that Mr Palmer decided that adhering to those conditions was too hard and that he wouldn't proceed with the project.
So instead of choosing to make his profits by establishing a potentially job-creating project at Balmoral South - as is his right - he decided to just make his profits by taking $12,000 from every man, woman and child in Western Australia. No one has ever attempted to do this before. It would be unthinkable to allow a precedent that anyone could bankrupt a State just because they weren’t happy with conditions set by the State Government. Allowing Mr Palmer's claim to proceed was too dangerous for our State. It would destroy our State's finances. So we put a stop to it.

My conscience is clear, I know we have done the right thing.
Sorry but any politician that rushes through legislation during the night and uses the term "my conscience is clear" to justify it clearly has ulterior motives.

Sorry but any politician that rushes through legislation during the night and uses the term "my conscience is clear" to justify it clearly has ulterior motives.

what are the ulterior motives

I wasn’t surprised when McBurney became the commissioner for the Building and Construction Commission - he was a campaigner of an umpire and he bought the c*** with him to this job

For the Perth bookworms:

Book Sale at UWA started today and going until Wednesday

Go grab some bargains!

Nice shout, cheers. Actually in the hunt for some books so this could be a goer(been looking around town and keep coming up short).

Rainy weekend in front of the fire reading a good book and footy on in the background. Bliss!

McGowan should do something really useful and pass a law that Margetts can never umpire in WA again.
The best thing that Rosebury did as a WA born umpire was to get out of WA to continue his AFL umpiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope it holds out until after the WAFL.

I would agree if I were going to the WAFL today but Sowfs clash with Freo tonight. I'd rather it rain during the WAFL and then be clear tonight.

Ah, so it would seem. I wonder if Anaconda was damaged. Great building design if Spotlight is '100% damaged' and the adjacent shops are OK.

* me @ our state of journalism though:

Melville locals took to social media to share the news on Saturday morning with many lamenting the loss of their local Spotlight.

"There will be a lot of devastated women wondering what we will do now that we've lost our precious Spotlight," one user wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back