Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Lying POS is starting to unravel.

The premier is a w***er for his position on the hard border and putting his popularity ahead of the constitution.

However let's get real if Liza Harvey is the alternative, no wonder he's so popular.

Get under your doona Perth, here comes Cliiiiive!!!

I wish he would stop leasing our land to the Chinese government :(

Support for the hard border started at ~95% and then in the latest poll I saw a couple weeks ago was at ~76%. Still pretty high but it will be interesting to see, assuming Victoria has their second wave under control, the support this Christmas when all states except for us are open to each other.

The premier is a w***er for his position on the hard border and putting his popularity ahead of the constitution.

However let's get real if Liza Harvey is the alternative, no wonder he's so popular.
Need to remember.
Oppositions don't get elected. Governments get thrown out.

We have an accidental premier in qld

Don't forget, if it had been up to Liza Harvey the borders would have been opened before Victoria's second wave. I'm no McGowan cheerleader, or any political cheerleader for that matter, but just think about that for a minute.

I understand that line of thinking but given a vaccine won't stop people from being a spreader and the vaccine won't work for the weak and vulnerable, it does turn the way we think about this.

One way of thinking is a short term measure of success, destined to fail, but great for the March election. The other is looking at long term balanced solutions. My view is, if McGowan doesn't like our constitution, then put it to the people to decide under our democratic right. Otherwise, I wish we had criminal convictions for those in power "knowing" breaching the constitution.

but Liza is a lemon if she can't line up McGowan ahead of the court ruling.

Support for the hard border started at ~95% and then in the latest poll I saw a couple weeks ago was at ~76%. Still pretty high but it will be interesting to see, assuming Victoria has their second wave under control, the support this Christmas when all states except for us are open to each other.

it will be interesting to see the impact of two things:
1) the high court ruling; and
2) christmas

my gut feel is a high court ruling with initially galvanise WA, as it will be seen as the eastern states or the nation being against our state. Then by Christmas, as this starts to impact on the people, the tide will turn.

A smart premier will revert to a bubble type solution post the high court ruling and get the benefit of:
1) galvanise the state
2) protect his government from further waves by saying "our solution worked but for the high court and the eastern states"
3) avoid the christmas negativity

gotta love politics

It was never at 95%. Highest ever was 91% and the last poll has it around 85%.

Either way there is a growing sentiment for open borders as Victoria's cases dwindle, and personally even with my apparent 'cheerleading' I am pretty okay with borders being open by Christmas if Victoria has stamped it out and others are stable.

Don't forget, if it had been up to Liza Harvey the borders would have been opened before Victoria's second wave. I'm no McGowan cheerleader, or any political cheerleader for that matter, but just think about that for a minute.
Once the borders are opened it doesn't mean they can't be closed again as situations arise, like the Victorian outbreak. I think that the inability to show some flexibility on this issue will hurt if Palmer is successful and if there is another outbreak somewhere in Australia.

Once the borders are opened it doesn't mean they can't be closed again as situations arise, like the Victorian outbreak. I think that the inability to show some flexibility on this issue will hurt if Palmer is successful and if there is another outbreak somewhere in Australia.

If the borders are prised open by the High Court and Clive Palmer and there is once again community transmission, it won't be Mark McGowan that will be held to account at the ballot box. It's pretty much a political no-brainer at the moment to maintain the course until there is near 100% confidence that WA can be reopened to all other places in Australia without risking spread of COVID.

Nice bit of positive spin for the boss

If the borders are prised open by the High Court and Clive Palmer and there is once again community transmission, it won't be Mark McGowan that will be held to account at the ballot box. It's pretty much a political no-brainer at the moment to maintain the course until there is near 100% confidence that WA can be reopened to all other places in Australia without risking spread of COVID.
Oh get under the doona and stay there. When was the last time NT, SA, ACT and Tassie had any china flu?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borders being overturned in the courts would be a great political result for McGowan, he gets to paint himself and the state as a victim against Palmer and the East in general and it also gives him an out for his hard border stance if he wants to use it. I don't dispute this. Hypothetically he could use a small amount of community transmission to his advantage too, although as things currently stand I think that community transmission from another state or New Zealand would be unlikely, especially compared to the possibility of an infected ship getting out of hand.

I'm more talking about the damage the court action does to our ability to control the border rather than McGowan. What happens if the High Court sides with Palmer? Has policy inflexibility put the ability to control the border in jeopardy? Has using Palmer as an easy, obese, unlikable punching bag done the same thing?

Also McGowan is a flog.

Not long ago he came across as a measured, WA first kinda guy. Now he is just coming across as a bellend. Not sure he understands that supporting a hard border in April is not the same as supporting a hard border forever.

I'm glad he has erred on the side of caution, obviously we can't keep the hard border forever but I'd prefer to live Covid free here than risk a Vic style 2nd wave.

Looking at how bad things are getting in Europe again and elsewhere in the world makes you realise how lucky we are in WA, we've barely suffered at all.

I'm glad he has erred on the side of caution, obviously we can't keep the hard border forever but I'd prefer to live Covid free here than risk a Vic style 2nd wave.

Looking at how bad things are getting in Europe again and elsewhere in the world makes you realise how lucky we are in WA, we've barely suffered at all.

It was the right call initially, but sticking to it against the advice of the chief medical dude isn't going to fly.

Melbourne's second wave wasn't as a result of free movement between the states, it was due to a hotel quarantine debacle. SA, Qld and the rest of the smaller states have all done as well with COVID as we have.

And yep, we are very lucky here. But it's a bit absurd that you can't just go to Adelaide and back without needing to quarantine for two weeks.

Think McGowan could do with a bit of time off to de-stress. On the whole I think he has done a good job but last couple of weeks feel he has started to make a few missteps & over react. Wyatt & Cook are more than capable of holding the fort for a little bit.

It was the right call initially, but sticking to it against the advice of the chief medical dude isn't going to fly.

Melbourne's second wave wasn't as a result of free movement between the states, it was due to a hotel quarantine debacle. SA, Qld and the rest of the smaller states have all done as well with COVID as we have.

And yep, we are very lucky here. But it's a bit absurd that you can't just go to Adelaide and back without needing to quarantine for two weeks.
His initial stance was that he would follow medical advice, and now he has backflipped and making decisions based on politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back