Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Has anyone been to the Supanova comic con at the Perth convention centre this weekend?

Went there yesterday because my little almost 3 year old nephew is massively into superheroes, paid 46 bucks to get in and we may as well have just gone to the Freo markets, it was just full of stores flogging superhero and cosplay merchandise, could barely move in there with all the people (ie nerds) milling about.

We had more fun in the foyer with all the people dressed up as superheroes, my little nephew thought he was seeing the real Spiderman and Batman when in reality it was just some overweight middle aged nerd dressed up as them.

The only thing that made it worthwhile was going to the 40th anniversary Mad Max seminar with Steve Bisley and Hugh Keays-Byrne, funny as hell.

You're a sad old bitter individual if your nephew had fun and was happy seeing people dressed up as his favourite superheroes but all you can think about is 'lol overweight middle aged nerd'.

Nah he's right. Was there with my little brother who saved all his pocket money up for it and felt it was the biggest waste of his time and money. It was a Sales convention, that entry cost should've covered a lot more entertainment/experiences.

His 3 year old nephew had a good time which is great, but the event is aimed at kids my brothers age (teen) and he was massively let down.

Nah he's right. Was there with my little brother who saved all his pocket money up for it and felt it was the biggest waste of his time and money. It was a Sales convention, that entry cost should've covered a lot more entertainment/experiences.

His 3 year old nephew had a good time which is great, but the event is aimed at kids my brothers age (teen) and he was massively let down.

Yeah I heard it was a bit of a let down (and the list of 'celebs' they brought out was very underwhelming imo) but if kids have fun then who are we to judge? Hopefully people respond with their wallets next year and spend their money on other things.

Has anyone been to the Supanova comic con at the Perth convention centre this weekend?

Went there yesterday because my little almost 3 year old nephew is massively into superheroes, paid 46 bucks to get in and we may as well have just gone to the Freo markets, it was just full of stores flogging superhero and cosplay merchandise, could barely move in there with all the people (ie nerds) milling about.

We had more fun in the foyer with all the people dressed up as superheroes, my little nephew thought he was seeing the real Spiderman and Batman when in reality it was just some overweight middle aged nerd dressed up as them.

The only thing that made it worthwhile was going to the 40th anniversary Mad Max seminar with Steve Bisley and Hugh Keays-Byrne, funny as hell.

Never been but always imagined it was like this. There are smaller fairs run through the year that are much better value. One called the Nexus Collectors Fair is run every school holidays on a Saturday morning at the Vic Park Rec Centre. $2 entry for adults, kids under 8 or 9 get in free. It's stalls of people selling their junk, but can find some bargains or cheap stuff for kids, people dress up, some groups bring life size working Star Wars droids, and if it's a waste of time, it's only $2. There is another one held semi regularly in Clarkson run by a local collector store that is virtually the same, but is $5 entry or $10 to get in 15 minutes early, which most people seem to do. I live south so it's not really worth the drive up and the higher entry fee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I reckon the big name stars they get for Supanova almost never come to Perth. They're always east coast only. Never even been tempted.

Most of the big names do come out here. The money is too good for them not to.

Also, I reckon the big name stars they get for Supanova almost never come to Perth. They're always east coast only. Never even been tempted.
They have it so the Perth Supanova comes straight after the Sydney one so that guests can go straight to Perth afterwards. As a result, almost all the Sydney guests come to the Perth one.

Ah yeah, been years since I bothered to even check the guests. :p Looks like Sydney/Perth are the same guests, with Melbourne/Gold Coast and Brisbane/Adelaide bunched together at opposite ends of the year. Improvement, as I'm sure when they first started coming here, the big names didn't travel here. Good to see they've fixed that.

There's something a bit creepy and unsettling about those cosplay events.

I remember walking home past the one they have at the Exhibition Building in Fitzroy. It was these Star Wars plastic toys being waved around, people in lycra, but there's something so weird about full adults playing make believe, making noises like chewbacca, pretending their plastic toy is a crossbow shooting flames. Maybe it says more about me, but I get the feeling they'd go straight home and have a tug while wearing the outfit they've been in all day.

They are all right into it the people that get dressed up in the superhero costumes and they do the pose for photos.

Like the guys that are dressed as Spiderman crouch down and do the shoot the web pose.

My nephew had a Flash costume on and Flash is supposed to do the running man pose.

MV5BMjI1MDAwNDM4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUwNDIxNjM@._V1_UY268_CR16,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

He just stood there like a stunned mullet.

He was moving too quickly for the human eye to observe

He still ruined his Flash persona by throwing a tantrum and demanding we get him some chips from one of the vending machines.

The real Flash wouldn't do that.

Holy s**t. I missed that? We went to something like that at the hayshed a few years ago because wifey/jasonmomoa/wateva. It was like everything else you described minus Steve Bisley and Hugh Keays-Byrne but with jasonmomoa inserted. The funny thing is when she saw the queue to say g'day sign this eh? we were leaving just as quick. Seeing him 50 metres away was enough. This is one of the reasons I love my wife.

Jason Momoa is such a *head. Just seems like a huge flog. A good looking man is Brad Pitt in Fight Club or a young Marlon Brando, not some ludicrously huge dude with a bitch's haircut and slits in his eyebrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back