Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Every man and his dog pumping the aircon probably explains why there has been rolling blackouts, we had one here last night for a couple of hours.

Thankfully the weather is going to cool down on the weekend but there's another heatwave coming next week, 38 by Wednesday and then 40 on Thursday.

I hope all the flogs here that complain about the cold and rain in winter and say they can't wait for summer are happy now, this summer is going to suck.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Yes I'm loving it. Fantastic start to Summer. Just hope it lasts and isn't back to cold and raining in 2 weeks.

Don't think there's much chance of that, summer usually gets hotter here in January and February, if we're getting 40 degree days now we could be hitting 50 degrees by then.

Don't think there's much chance of that, summer usually gets hotter here in January and February, if we're getting 40 degree days now we could be hitting 50 degrees by then.
Let's hope so. The hotter the better.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Let's hope so. The hotter the better.

I doubt you'd be saying that if you start copping blackouts, the heat is manageable with aircon or a fan, without being able to use either it's unbearable.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Nah, weather patterns are all over the place because of all those Liberal voters. If anything I reckon it's hotter in March/April than it used to be and milder overall in Jan/Feb.

This year it only reached 35 in February 7 times and 10 times it didn't even reach 30. January had 2 40 degree days but 14 under 30.

When you start voting Greens then we can go back to higher average and max temps in February and decent rain in Winter.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I doubt you'd be saying that if you start copping blackouts, the heat is manageable with aircon or a fan, without being able to use either it's unbearable.

Are blackouts still a thing?

Perth has excess generating capacity in Summer due to all the private solar panels. The problems come when the turbines can't ramp down appropriately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Are blackouts still a thing?

Perth has excess generating capacity in Summer due to all the private solar panels. The problems come when the turbines can't ramp down appropriately.

What are these rolling blackouts

Never have aircon of a night time but I do use my fan - I’m a doona and fan girl all year round

We had one in our area (Stirling) last night and apparently on the news they mentioned there were rolling blackouts which I assume was due to the heatwave and the extra demand for power. Some areas would probably be exempt though, like the wealthier suburbs or ones where there are hospitals.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
We had brownouts maybe 10 years ago when the SWIS generating capacity couldn't keep up with peak demand.

Have not heard of it happening for a long time. Plenty of solar which coincides peak with Summer peak periods and Pinjar, Neerabup, Bluewaters etc. are all up and running.

We had one in our area (Stirling) last night and apparently on the news they mentioned there were rolling blackouts which I assume was due to the heatwave and the extra demand for power. Some areas would probably be exempt though, like the wealthier suburbs or ones where there are hospitals.
Yeah they probably just say that to make the people in the povo suburbs feel like they're a part of something bigger.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
We had brownouts maybe 10 years ago when the SWIS generating capacity couldn't keep up with peak demand.

Have not heard of it happening for a long time. Plenty of solar which coincides peak with Summer peak periods and Pinjar, Neerabup, Bluewaters etc. are all up and running.

Yeah they were more common years ago, I haven't experienced one for a while, maybe having a heatwave earlier than usual caused it or maybe there was some other reason for it.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
*parents' air con.

If they had to go outside today they would "literally die".
One of the most outspoken Greenies on the SRP board recently got found out owning a 4WD and a SUV. It's ok though because apparently they grow a few veggies, don't fly much and have a water tank to make up for having two needless fossil fuel sucking road hogs in the city.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
You can track outages on the Western Power website. I'm pretty sure they don't just turn off suburbs at a time to save power.

It's happened in the past during heatwaves and I don't think it's a coincidence that we had a power outage on such a warm night where most people would have been using their aircon. Going to be another warm night tonight by the looks of it with a minimum of 25 degrees.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
When i was in perth i used to have evaporative air con at home and it would be on from when i got home to either just before i went to bed or if like it is now over there stay on all night. Needed to cool the air and circulate it

over here on the coast i have no air con just ceiling fans as the air temp (usually) is say 28-32 and just moving it around was enough.

And that has been fine the past 7 years or so. A few weeks of struggling for me during heat of the day as i work from home but a quick dip in the pool or cold shower and id be fine.

but damn last summer and now this one so far has been a nightmare for my home office. Was 38 at 8am.

time to get an aircon for my office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back