The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone had any recent experience at Perth Airport and can comment on how well it's currently operating? My sister is flying in from the UK tomorrow (via Singapore - arriving at T3) and I'm not sure how long I should allow for baggage collection etc when picking her up...

Have read some accounts of Oz airports being a bit understaffed and chaotic recently but I don't know how much of that is truth vs hyperbole.

Picked up international arrivals recently with plenty of checked baggage.

It runs okay, if a bit slower than before. Whether it's because of understaffing or testing requirements, who knows, but it's probably fine to do the same as usual with perhaps an additional 15 minutes. Airports are also getting better with allowing you to wait outside the airport complex and driving in to pick them up from the bays if that's your thing (ie not paying the extortionate parking fees in return for your relatives greeting you at the car instead of the gate).

2qttlkkt4ly81.png

I'm not a southie but why on earth is this a thing?

So McGowan has extended State of Emergency declaration till January 2023 all so that he can continue mask mandates and forced isolation. The fact that he can't do these things without the State of Emergency inherently states that these are an abuse of power and not reasonably necessary, or he would have implemented them under the existing powers of the Health Act. Somehow we're still in a 'State of Emergency' despite him pushing for tourism to return, people to get back into the city, etc. The man is a fraud and a corrupt meglomaniac given ultimate power by every single fool who gave him a super majority last election. fu** me I hate this city.

The West Aussie Dickhead Dan.

Always has been.
Always will be.

So McGowan has extended State of Emergency declaration till January 2023 all so that he can continue mask mandates and forced isolation. The fact that he can't do these things without the State of Emergency inherently states that these are an abuse of power and not reasonably necessary, or he would have implemented them under the existing powers of the Health Act. Somehow we're still in a 'State of Emergency' despite him pushing for tourism to return, people to get back into the city, etc. The man is a fraud and a corrupt meglomaniac given ultimate power by every single fool who gave him a super majority last election. fu** me I hate this city.
You genuinely don't understand how things work, do you? It's not an abuse of power to bring in emergency powers in an emergency, and it's not unusual for all potential emergencies not to be covered by the Health Act. We've just recorded 17,000 cases today, the pandemic isn't over, even though some would like it to be. As it stands, most of the things you're complaining about aren't in effect anyway; masks are only required in certain high risk settings and if that pisses you off, you must be a sociopath.

A sincere question to those opposed to the extension - what have you not been able to do this past month due to the state of emergency provisions that you would otherwise have been doing if they did not exist?

Based on 'doing my own research' it seems this is merely an administrative formality that gives flexibility for the state government to reimpose restrictions when warranted. The latest change in COVID measures saw the removal of many mask mandates and density limits so the idea that it's an extension of 'megalomania' does not correlate with the actual situation.

Are some on BigFooty opposed to the notion of a level of restrictions being reimposed should hospitals become overwhelmed by COVID patients?

You should've tried driving through there when the roadworks to create that monstrosity were on.
Never have I felt such road rage.

living north or south of the river is nuts if you rely upon the freeway

living north or south of the river is nuts if you rely upon the freeway

Depends what way you travel. If you work in the city you would be nuts to not use public transport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a week of work in the city a month ago and was surprised how easy the ride on the freeway was (got on at Canning Bridge), barely as busy as I was expecting and arrived 40 mins early on the first day.

I'm assuming it's due to people not at work/working from home
It's the smart freeway too. Going south home is still a shitshow in the afternoon

A sincere question to those opposed to the extension - what have you not been able to do this past month due to the state of emergency provisions that you would otherwise have been doing if they did not exist?

Based on 'doing my own research' it seems this is merely an administrative formality that gives flexibility for the state government to reimpose restrictions when warranted. The latest change in COVID measures saw the removal of many mask mandates and density limits so the idea that it's an extension of 'megalomania' does not correlate with the actual situation.

Are some on BigFooty opposed to the notion of a level of restrictions being reimposed should hospitals become overwhelmed by COVID patients?
I would say the argument would be that this is here to stay so should they just keep extending these emergency powers forever? Because by the looks of things it will be for at the very least a long, long time. At that point they're no longer an "emergency" and they should probably enact some proper legislation related to Covid.

Not sure what the Perth numbers are in regards to their peak and I wouldn't be able to guess within probably 50% of what my home states numbers are roughly each day but I've heard zero about Hospitals being in trouble (more than they have been for years).

I would say the argument would be that this is here to stay so should they just keep extending these emergency powers forever? Because by the looks of things it will be for at the very least a long, long time. At that point they're no longer an "emergency" and they should probably enact some proper legislation related to Covid.

Not sure what the Perth numbers are in regards to their peak and I wouldn't be able to guess within probably 50% of what my home states numbers are roughly each day but I've heard zero about Hospitals being in trouble (more than they have been for years).

You can choose to believe whatever information/propaganda (depending on your perspective) the government trots out, but the rationale is that as long as there are fears that the removal of all COVID-related restrictions would place undue pressure on the health system and result in too many avoidable deaths then the theory is that the state of emergency should continue to allow flexibility in imposing lockdowns and mandates without the need for legislative approval. Depending on your perspective, you can choose to accept or reject that rationale.

The Perth numbers today are far past the previous peak but hospitals seem to be coping, thus no new restrictions being imposed even though we've hit record highs today. As many have correctly pointed out in previous rehashes of this discussion, at this point in time the key metric is hospitalisations and not simply raw case numbers.

You can choose to believe whatever information/propaganda (depending on your perspective) the government trots out, but the rationale is that as long as there are fears that the removal of all COVID-related restrictions would place undue pressure on the health system and result in too many avoidable deaths then the theory is that the state of emergency should continue to allow flexibility in imposing lockdowns and mandates without the need for legislative approval. Depending on your perspective, you can choose to accept or reject that rationale.

The Perth numbers today are far past the previous peak but hospitals seem to be coping, thus no new restrictions being imposed even though we've hit record highs today. As many have correctly pointed out in previous rehashes of this discussion, at this point in time the key metric is hospitalisations and not simply raw case numbers.
The breakdown of every single states hospitals was predicted over and over again (by politicians, media experts and many others). It never eventuated, not once. Yes there was large strain at times but every state got through without bodies piling up at emergency rooms.

I'm not sure why WA would be any different but some people formed entire personalities surrounding covid so if they want keep doing so, all the power to them.

The breakdown of every single states hospitals was predicted over and over again (by politicians, media experts and many others). It never eventuated, not once. Yes there was large strain at times but every state got through without bodies piling up at emergency rooms.

I'm not sure why WA would be any different but some people formed entire personalities surrounding covid so if they want keep doing so, all the power to them.

Like I said, up to you whether you believe it.

Personally I think the current level is fine and agreed with dropping the mask mandate for most public spaces but others are free to accuse me of being an apologist. I don't agree with the re-imposition of widespread mask mandates as suggested by the WA AMA.

In real life, my job, health and social life have been relatively unaffected since omicron arrived (touch wood) and so have my friends and family, therefore I am happy with how WA has dealt with the pandemic so far.

Depends what way you travel. If you work in the city you would be nuts to not use public transport.

Yep

If you don’t have to use the freeway, north and south is great

But I wouldn’t be excited by the prospect of disease ridden public transport and waiting for trains and or connecting buses

If you live and work in the burbs, that’s perfect!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back