The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of codswallop - keep an eye on him, he’s a grown arse man with a family ffs.

Does anyone know the background behind John Yovich being sacked by Perth Racing? Sounds like he's been naughty but no actual facts being stated by media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not great.
Understatement. Current government has failed on health, one reason they needed to keep everyone out, hospitals werent coping with day to day affairs let alone a pandemic.

Non-urgent and semi-urgent

That’s their *ing determination - might not be urgent to them but it sure as s**t impacts on the person needing the surgery

my son required brain surgery - long and short the longer he went with out the surgery, the less chance he had of regaining full mobility due to permanent nerve damage - it was classified as non urgent surgery.

He was one of the lucky ones who could afford and had private cover and it was done immediately - many aren’t so lucky. How the * do we live in a state so rich but have such an appalling health system

Non-urgent and semi-urgent

That’s their f*n determination - might not be urgent to them but it sure as sh*t impacts on the person needing the surgery

my son required brain surgery - long and short the longer he went with out the surgery, the less chance he had of regaining full mobility due to permanent nerve damage - it was classified as non urgent surgery.

He was one of the lucky ones who could afford and had private cover and it was done immediately - many aren’t so lucky. How the fu** do we live in a state so rich but have such an appalling health system
We have always used a lot of imported labour for doctors, nursing and medicine in general.

We can't get those people at the moment.

We have always used a lot of imported labour for doctors, nursing and medicine in general.

There are more than enough nurses looking for work. Perth gal will attest to how hard it is to get a job in this state. The problem is that the government refuses to increase the number of graduate places which would a) enable them to get a job in the first place and b) the experience they apparently need to get a job in the first place.

I can’t speak to the Doctor shortage but I can’t see why they can’t bring them into the country - it doesn’t seem to be an issue with musicians and actors. I’m sure there would be those in the medical profession falling over themselves to come to the “lucky” country

My wife's boss ended up with blood clots 7-14 days post vaccination

He may or may not die but he's left brain dead after blood clots in the brain. He is leaving two teenage kids and his wife behind or worse the burden of feeding a vegetable for the rest of his life.

He's currently at Charlie's and been in a coma for around 14 days already.

Personally I find it strange we are killing perfectly healthy people in their 50s and 60s to preserve the life of 70-90 yo's with underlying health issue. I'm pro vax but I don't think AZ should not be on the market.

Wrong.

There are more than enough nurses looking for work. Perth gal will attest to how hard it is to get a job in this state. The problem is that the government refuses to increase the number of graduate places which would a) enable them to get a job in the first place and b) the experience they apparently need to get a job in the first place.

My sister is studying at the moment and coming towards the end. She just got an email to apply for graduate positions. There are 25 spots, across all public hospitals in the state. This is nursing. 25 spots. There's hundreds of nurses out there looking for work, which means the issue certainly isn't as simple as 'cant get them at the moment'. It certainly is resourcing and I'm guessing a lack of funding.

I spent 6.5 hours at a certain hospital last week with an injured person. At no time did anyone at the hospital speak to the patient, look at the injury, take general obs (blood pressure etc). She had quite a large wound.

Wrong.

My sister is studying at the moment and coming towards the end. She just got an email to apply for graduate positions. There are 25 spots, across all public hospitals in the state. This is nursing. 25 spots. There's hundreds of nurses out there looking for work, which means the issue certainly isn't as simple as 'cant get them at the moment'. It certainly is resourcing and I'm guessing a lack of funding.

I spent 6.5 hours at a certain hospital last week with an injured person. At no time did anyone at the hospital speak to the patient, look at the injury, take general obs (blood pressure etc). She had quite a large wound.

when are the intakes? I thought a big intake just closed last month with hundreds of positions?

We just lost 3 of our night nannies in this intake

My wife's boss ended up with blood clots 7-14 days post vaccination

He may or may not die but he's left brain dead after blood clots in the brain. He is leaving two teenage kids and his wife behind or worse the burden of feeding a vegetable for the rest of his life.

He's currently at Charlie's and been in a coma for around 14 days already.

Personally I find it strange we are killing perfectly healthy people in their 50s and 60s to preserve the life of 70-90 yo's with underlying health issue. I'm pro vax but I don't think AZ should not be on the market.

They say the risks of blood clotting are minimal with the AZ vaccine but it's still a risk and when you hear horror stories like that it's no wonder people are reluctant to get it.

Given the choice I'll be getting the Pfizer vaccine over the AZ vaccine, it seems to be more effective and less risky, I'm in no hurry to get either though.

Understatement. Current government has failed on health, one reason they needed to keep everyone out, hospitals werent coping with day to day affairs let alone a pandemic.
Let's not pretend this problem just materialised under their watch, it's been bubbling along for decades, ever since we as a nation decided that paying less tax was more important than providing adequate services. The slow privatisation of our health system is a disgrace, but if people aren't willing to reach into their pockets a bit more, how do we fund it?

I can’t speak to the Doctor shortage but I can’t see why they can’t bring them into the country - it doesn’t seem to be an issue with musicians and actors. I’m sure there would be those in the medical profession falling over themselves to come to the “lucky” country

Doctor friend says that the onerous requirements to become qualified as a doctor in Australia - even if you are qualified as a doctor in say India - are effectively a limit on how many doctors we can have in WA. Also obviously not helped by COVID restrictions which discourages skilled migration to Australia and doctors in say India being more urgently needed at the moment where they are.

If you want more, you can lower the requirements but then there will be questions about the quality of medical care.

Let's not pretend this problem just materialised under their watch, it's been bubbling along for decades, ever since we as a nation decided that paying less tax was more important than providing adequate services. The slow privatisation of our health system is a disgrace, but if people aren't willing to reach into their pockets a bit more, how do we fund it?
Also bloat and a lot of waste in there as well. But its been over 4 years, blaming the previous governments is a massive cop out at this point.

If you want more, you can lower the requirements but then there will be questions about the quality of medical care.

TBH, what really is the difference in lowering the ATAR score from 95 or whatever it is down to 90? * all I would have thought and it could see an increase in the amount of people becoming doctors. I went to school with a bloke that got an ATAR in the high 80s (IIRC) yet through the Indigenous pathway, he went to UWA to study medicine and is now a surgeon. Getting a score below the required didn't hamper his ability at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back