The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey anyone here run their own business in Perth?

Who or what are the giants?

Just big puppets innit?

a_300514gengiants8_19t13lg-19t13lr.jpg

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...d-train-services/story-fnhocxo3-1227210361837

Vale late night trains.

Passenger numbers quoted seem very flimsy, but if the patronage really is low then it makes sense to cancel the services. I'd keep trains until 1am on Fri/Sat nights personally. That's around the time a lot of people go home as pubs tend to close at 12/1. Clubgoers (well who gives a **** about them anyway, clubbing eats dick) are generally out into the wee hours so it's not efficient to carry train services for them.

If these late trains are so costly why not just make people pay a fare? Would really not bother me swiping my Smartrider and spending $3 considering a taxi would be probably be $40.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. The Mandurah line late train whenever I've been on has been fairly well patronised. This will result in more out of control parties in outer suburbs, bigger taxi queues, more congestion in the city and people drink driving as they can't afford the cab fare to the outer suburbs.

Maybe we can get Colins number and he can take people home instead.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. The Mandurah line late train whenever I've been on has been fairly well patronised. This will result in more out of control parties in outer suburbs, bigger taxi queues, more congestion in the city and people drink driving as they can't afford the cab fare to the outer suburbs.

Maybe we can get Colins number and he can take people home instead.
Wow serious wtf. I haven't used them for quite a few years since I lived in Perth but agree the 1am and 2am trains were very useful and usually mostly full. Might save some money on not having to employ the extra plastic cops but ffs as if it wasn't hard enough to enough to get a taxi in Perf already...

Wow serious wtf. I haven't used them for quite a few years since I lived in Perth but agree the 1am and 2am trains were very useful and usually mostly full. Might save some money on not having to employ the extra plastic cops but ffs as if it wasn't hard enough to enough to get a taxi in Perf already...

Hard to believe that they never considered the consequences of this. Then again this is the liberal party we are talking about. Why not just charge extra for the late night services (even a 100% markup would be substantially cheaper than a cab). Yay for having to wait two hours in a cab queue and pay 40 bucks for it to boot. Yes, I spend a fair bit when I go out and yes I can eat at home and subtract a few drinks to make up for it, but it means being a lot tighter and some people I know now won't be able to spend a night in the city at all. Unless they become Troy Buswell and drive home pissed.

And add to that, people with jobs behind bars, doing nightfill etc would rely on these trains in order to get home safely. Is Colin going to find new jobs for these people?

Trains are a public service, not a business.

Hard to believe that they never considered the consequences of this. Then again this is the liberal party we are talking about. Why not just charge extra for the late night services (even a 100% markup would be substantially cheaper than a cab). Yay for having to wait two hours in a cab queue and pay 40 bucks for it to boot. Yes, I spend a fair bit when I go out and yes I can eat at home and subtract a few drinks to make up for it, but it means being a lot tighter and some people I know now won't be able to spend a night in the city at all. Unless they become Troy Buswell and drive home pissed.

And add to that, people with jobs behind bars, doing nightfill etc would rely on these trains in order to get home safely. Is Colin going to find new jobs for these people?

Trains are a public service, not a business.
What do the rest of the world do?

Last edited:
What do the rest of the world do?

1. Most modern cities have public transport that runs throughout the night on weekends. Obviously being Perth, I'm happy for these to be paid and relatively sporadic, something is better than nothing.

2. Most of the world doesn't have a taxi shortage and a service which charges extortionist rates to boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there a study or something once that said Perth was about the most difficult city in the world to catch a taxi?

Probably.

In a previous life I worked for one of the Big 4 Australian banks doing securities. I ended up in commercial settlements. We would take mortgages over taxi plates for more than the cost of an average suburban home (back in those days). Such a limited supply, so the value goes up. But once it is locked in to the financial system the government can't suddenly double the supply without devaluing the value of the taxi plates already in the system by half. it's not fair on those that bought taxi plates at the old price and mortgage themselves and their business to their necks to buy into it.

I've never had issues with taxis and I use them regularly. Get one at my house within 10 minutes and when going home go to the closest taxi rank.

Last weekend a taxi driver abused me and called me a ******* idiot because I thought it was strange that me and my girlfriend had to pay up front for a taxi to Burswood from the city. Bizarre. He had no picture of himself up on the dash so I think it was one of those taxi-share scenarios where he was driving his mate's cab.

Had a great uber trip into the city however.

Last weekend a taxi driver abused me and called me a ******* idiot because I thought it was strange that me and my girlfriend had to pay up front for a taxi to Burswood from the city. Bizarre. He had no picture of himself up on the dash so I think it was one of those taxi-share scenarios where he was driving his mate's cab.

Had a great uber trip into the city however.
Those that ask for upfront payment ate the Indians that are trying to scam from my experience.
Those that ask for upfront payments have probably been burnt one time too many by passengers scarpering after a long haul taxi ride :( They're the idiots who have forced behaviour changes in the cabbies. Those and the vomiting or abusive drunk patrons just make it difficult for the people who want to enjoy a good night out, are respectful of the service that taxi drivers offer, and just want to get home safely.

Who or what are the giants?
Apparently the greatest thing ever to be going to come to Perth some time in the future.

Anyone seen that "busker" near Perth train station in the silver suit and motorbike helmet, sort of randomly "dancing" to a CD player? How crap is that?

So we pay for the train system to be built, then they're not even there for us to use outside of regular times?

I don't really give a s**t because I can afford taxis, but for younger people who probably need these options rather than risking a lift with a drunk mate, or walking home, I think it's actually pretty poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back