Prediction The Petrenko 50 Game Rule

Which of these players will play 50+ AFL games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Quite a few youngsters on our list. Some have given us a taste, others have shown a bit in the SANFL, some have had injury trouble, others we've barely seen.

So which ones will reach the magical 50 games? Who will carry us forward now that the Walker-Sloane-Talia-Jacobs-Betts-Lynch-Jenkins era is winding up?

Who are you most excited about?

* I've left off a few of our most recent draftees/mature age trades

I'm just going to cover everyone I reckon that I reckon have >30% chance of making it. Will claim I'm a genius when each of these are ticked off, and will completely ignore it when they get delisted/traded beforehand.

I ticked Ben Davis - not sure if he will or not but if he is the Lynch pin then he may get more games as time goes on

Some are easy

Josh Worrell and Fisher McAsey will play 50 games - it may or may not be us

Chayce is a good chance but Ned McHenry concerns me - I think he will but at the moment its a no from me

And McAdam :tearsofjoy:

Quite a few youngsters on our list. Some have given us a taste, others have shown a bit in the SANFL, some have had injury trouble, others we've barely seen.

So which ones will reach the magical 50 games? Who will carry us forward now that the Walker-Sloane-Talia-Jacobs-Betts-Lynch-Jenkins era is winding up?

Who are you most excited about?

* I've left off a few of our most recent draftees/mature age trades

You missed David Mackay, it's his era as much as any other player you named. You can bet there'll be one or two new versions of him in the 50+ game list too.

Not sure he is on the poll, can't see it in Tapatalk, but I want to see Butts get some AFL game time.

He is a genuine defender, who can use the ball. Did well in the SANFL BnF where he had to defend against smaller agile guys as well as big guys.

Could slot in for Jake Kelly or Hartigan.

He would be one guy I would get 50 games into ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not sure he is on the poll, can't see it in Tapatalk, but I want to see Butts get some AFL game time.

He is a genuine defender, who can use the ball. Did well in the SANFL BnF where he had to defend against smaller agile guys as well as big guys.

Could slot in for Jake Kelly or Hartigan.

He would be one guy I would get 50 games into ASAP.
He looked really good last season

I wonder if he can be a genuine KPP at AFL level or will be more a 3rd tall?

If he develops enough versatility to play both he doubles his chance of finding a spot

He looked really good last season

I wonder if he can be a genuine KPP at AFL level or will be more a 3rd tall?

If he develops enough versatility to play both he doubles his chance of finding a spot
For those who have seen him for a few years, what's his agility like? I've read he has played a bit of wing and mid before, but is a defensive 3 talls of McAsey, Butts and Doedee flexible enough to come up against most forward lines?

Chance to play 50 career games total.

Almost Certain: Doedee
More likely than not: Murphy, O'Brien, Fogarty and Jones
A plausible chance: Gallucci, McAsey
Theoretically Possible: The Rest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy - yes. Will end up have a Petrenko-like career where he gets to 80 odd games and then gets delisted
Gallucci - no. Think he's cooked
ROB - yes. Probably ends up in the Maric/Mark Blake class of ruckman who plays 100 odd games and is serviceable, but no star
Doedee - yes, providing his body holds up
Fog - yes. Should never play SANFL again
Poholke - no. Tad unlucky due to the Crouch brothers not being able to play other positions
Jones - yes, now that Campo is gone
Himmelberg - no. Likely to be traded
Stengle - no, will play a few games, but I think the SANFL is more his level
Frampton - no, see Stengle
Davis - possible, but still a fair way off
McAsey - yes, but not for us
McPherson - no, too injury prone
Schoenberg - yes, though the Crouch brothers may cockblock him for a few years
Butts - gut feel is he has a Luke Thompson style career
Worrell - yes, as a forward
Strachan - no, likely delisting this year
Sholl - maybe, but more likely for another club
McHenry - yes, providing his back issues get resolved
McAdam - no, probably 2021 delisting
Hamill - yes, hopefully with us

I get the feeling that the three of us who picked Myles are going to be disappointed.

Wasn't Vader ultimately right about Petrenko, even though he got 50 games?

He was but I have always thought that Vader was really Campo, that whole "I live in Canberra" thing always smelt like a cover up. He was always pulling the strings on that case

Petrenko's real issue was that he was a small defender come midfielder. He really wasn't a natural small forward, yet got pigeon-holed as such. Sure he chased hard, was ultra energetic and passionate, but ultimately he struggled to offer anything more than defensive pressure.

I think if you're a small forward and you're not naturally good at the offensive side, then you're not getting to the right positions offensively and that translates to being in the wrong positions defensively too. This I think is where Petrenko struggled and sadly I think Murphy will find similar. If you can't read the play offensively as a small forward, it automatically puts you on the back foot defensively. End up running around like a headless chook, chasing your guts out for very little reward.

Petrenko's real issue was that he was a small defender come midfielder. He really wasn't a natural small forward, yet got pigeon-holed as such. Sure he chased hard, was ultra energetic and passionate, but ultimately he struggled to offer anything more than defensive pressure.

I think if you're a small forward and you're not naturally good at the offensive side, then you're not getting to the right positions offensively and that translates to being in the wrong positions defensively too. This I think is where Petrenko struggled and sadly I think Murphy will find similar. If you can't read the play offensively as a small forward, it automatically puts you on the back foot defensively. End up running around like a headless chook, chasing your guts out for very little reward.
Pets suffered with us having Brown. He is a natural AFL level small defender.

Brown far better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Been posting this for ages. It’s no coincidence that the best defensive small forwards are also the best attacking small forwards. To apply pressure to the person with the ball, you need to be near it first.

Last edited:
Been posting this for ages. It’s no coincidence that the best defensive small forwards are also the best defensive small forwards. To apply pressure to the person with the ball, you need to be near it first.
Offensive ?

Disagree that Murphy is devoid of forward sense. Theres been a few games where he's done virtually nothing but still got himself free enough times to pick up 2 or 3 goals.

Without Betts drawing more attention though, I think he'll find it tougher.

Disagree that Murphy is devoid of forward sense. Theres been a few games where he's done virtually nothing but still got himself free enough times to pick up 2 or 3 goals.

Without Betts drawing more attention though, I think he'll find it tougher.

But that's a rarity and probably more a case of getting lucky. He's probably a reasonable step up from Petrenko who managed to hit 3 goals in a game only once.

The trouble is I think good defensive pressure is all about the approach of the forwards as a team. Every single one of them needs to be switched on and working as a group to apply defensive pressure. I almost feel like we put Murphy in, or Petrenko, and the rest of the forwards kind of say, oh well I won't chase/tackle, that's Murph's job...

The other aspect is the implied pressure the feels when they're up against an offensively dangerous small forward. Suddenly they're more worried about where their opponent is than running off and providing a rebound option.

Also if we're simply winning the footy first when it enters our forward 50, there's no need to be defensive.

This probably sounds like having a fair go at Murphy, I think he's a perfectly capable small forward, my concern is that we are flush with small-medium forward options whom I think could offer a hell of a lot more if given the opportunity.

Back