Status
Not open for further replies.

sbenno

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not defending Sando and certainly not being overly critical of Walsh, but the issue is we lack quality footballers.

Its laughable how people still maintain we have a top 6 list.

We don't have a top anything list. We'll finish where we finish, and if that's top 6, then we have a top 6 list.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
The one thing I found interesting is that Walsh talked (amongst the profanity) about seeing what they (the opposition) did and then adjusting.
I wonder if some of our players understand what it means to take the game on in the early minutes? the do's and dont's of the first five minutes?

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any chance we can implement a simple "give me something" hand gesture when we turn off the mark looking to spot up a kick? we are so often stagnant and waiting for the good option to present.

A simple open palm lifted towards the sky as a sign that the ball carrier doesn't have an option yet,. A player that is ready to kick and can't because he doesn't have a decent option is massive win for opposition as they are effectively slowing us down, making the percentages higher for a turnover/contest to occur.

We need to get better at presenting options "getting dangerous" for the ball carrier.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Not defending Sando and certainly not being overly critical of Walsh, but the issue is we lack quality footballers.

Its laughable how people still maintain we have a top 6 list.
The top end of our list, Tex, Danger, Sloane, Betts, Talia, Smith, Sauce (and maybe Crouch one day) etc is definitely top 6, but we have genuine positions of need down back and on the outside, while still lacking in the depth department, although we seem to have unearthed a few guys in that department this year with CEY, Grigg, Kelly etc stepping up as well as guys like Reilly O'Brien, Knight and Atkins looking good in the SANFL.

There's serious potential in the list if they can start to fill the holes and a bunch of the guys who haven't played AFL football start to really press for selection.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The top end of our list, Tex, Danger, Sloane, Betts, Talia, Smith, Sauce (and maybe Crouch one day) etc is definitely top 6, but we have genuine positions of need down back and on the outside, while still lacking in the depth department, although we seem to have unearthed a few guys in that department this year with CEY, Grigg, Kelly etc stepping up as well as guys like Reilly O'Brien, Knight and Atkins looking good in the SANFL.
That's the same problem we had last year. Top 6 or so players are elite. Next 6 are top shelf AFL players. Players 13-22 are average.
And that's not enough to win a premiership.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any chance we can implement a simple "give me something" hand gesture when we turn off the mark looking to spot up a kick? we are so often stagnant and waiting for the good option to present.

A simple open palm lifted towards the sky as a sign that the ball carrier doesn't have an option yet,. A player that is ready to kick and can't because he doesn't have a decent option is massive win for opposition as they are effectively slowing us down, making the percentages higher for a turnover/contest to occur.

We need to get better at presenting options "getting dangerous" for the ball carrier.

We have been shocking at this for a few years now. It comes down to work rate.
So many times you will look up the line to see our lads simply amble 10-15 meters to cluster around where the ball should drop and then just sit there with flailing arms, instead of working in and out.
Very little creativity shown either. Seems like they all look to where Sauce is situated then gravitate toward him like Browns cows.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's the same problem we had last year. Top 6 or so players are elite. Next 6 are top shelf AFL players. Players 13-22 are average.
are you familiar with normal distributions?

there's nothing that fantastic about any players from 13-22 across the whole league, save for maybe GWS. Year after year average players win premierships as part of elite teams with elite structures that allow them to play their best footy.

that's what you have control over, that's what you've got to get right.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

there's nothing that fantastic about any players from 13-22 across the whole league, save for maybe GWS. Year after year average players win premierships as part of elite teams with elite structures that allow them to play their best footy.

Hawthorn have 15 players rated "above average" or better by CD....... The most of any club IIRC. So your numbers are pretty spot on.

Bosley

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 9, 2008
Port Hedland
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide United, QPR
Is Phil going to be on AFL360 tonight? I saw a pic of him in a preview for the show, but that may just mean they are going to talk about the game for 5 minutes ... something to behold in itself I guess.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Every team has average players. The best teams can turn an average player into a useful player. You don't have to be a gun to play a role for the team. Work ethic is a huge part of it too.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Willing to change game setups multiple times in one season. First the pulled back zone on the kick outs, now changing jenkins role from using his athletic attributes to stay at home forward to put it on top of when we need to.

In one season!

More than all Craigy's and Sando's seasons put together!

What'll he think of next!? Changing setups mid game, trying experiments to salvage something out of a belting?

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Willing to change game setups multiple times in one season. First the pulled back zone on the kick outs, now changing jenkins role from using his athletic attributes to stay at home forward to put it on top of when we need to.

In one season!

More than all Craigy's and Sando's seasons put together!

What'll he think of next!? Changing setups mid game, trying experiments to salvage something out of a belting?

Very interesting point made on 360 last night when talking about us and Walsh with David King and Bomber Thompson, they referenced the change in the game style and the buy in from the players in comparison to Paul Roos and Melbourne. Roos had used the excuse (they didn't call it that but I do) that it was still taking time for the Melbourne players to learn his game style and instead they would revert back to old habits too much when under pressure. Yet Adelaide in the space of a much smaller time frame had made very obvious changes and when under pressure they seem to have some other options to do and don't revert back to old habits as much.

Two conclusions to be drawn here I think.
1. Walsh is a better coach than Roos and
2. Our players have a better ability to learn than Melbourne players.

:)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Interesting that the club have warned him about burning out already. Is that because he doesn't have all the assistant coaches he wants and feels he needs to take more control ??

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Interesting that the club have warned him about burning out already. Is that because he doesn't have all the assistant coaches he wants and feels he needs to take more control ??
I think any first time coach would want to take control and set things up exactly as he wants.

It's only after a period of time in the job would you realise what you can let go of. Half a season is quick to be honest. Bomber Thompson said his realisation only came after the 2006 season.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
I think any first time coach would want to take control and set things up exactly as he wants.

It's only after a period of time in the job would you realise what you can let go of. Half a season is quick to be honest. Bomber Thompson said his realisation only came after the 2006 season.

And we know that Walshy was aware of it a little bit before he took the job and put some things in place. I think this was probably a meeting that had been planned for a while to talk over how things were going, which shows the management structures that are now in place at the club. Things are being planned in advance instead of reacting to things going wrong.

splat868

All Australian
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

True to a degree,

But you cant weed out all of the lesser players in one year.

Last year we got rid of a large group of players that never would have made it.

This year should see the last of those gone, plus a few depth players.

This year we have added
Laird
Lever
Cheyney
Kelly
Ellis-Yolmen
Grigg
To our keepers list

With
Atkins
Knight
Obrien

Looking likely, and M Crouch, CC still to get enough games to really start to play at their best.

With probably only 3 players to retire over the next 2-3 years, our depth should blossom as what is currently depth will become superfluous, and will be on the chopping block.

Last edited:

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now the honeymoon period is well and truly over, hopefully the door is open for constructive analysis of how we play.

To me, there is a total lack of movement coming off half back that just sees us slaughtered by the spare defender(s), week after week.

Sando's ploy during his tenure was to put Petrenko on the spare to negate their influence, and while the forward tag has since become highly unfashionable, a lot more time and effort needs to be devoted to working out we overlap once we have even numbers through the midfield.

Pushing it wide Mick Malthouse style like we did tonight didn't work and probably never will for a team as slow as we are.

I'm also irked by the frequent opponent changes of our key defenders. Talia, Cheney and Hartigan were superb, but we conceded three goals to totally unmanned Hawthorn ruck man, and Kelly's and Hartigan 'who's on Breust?' routine at one point was a mummer's farce if you get my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back