Strategy The Phil Walsh gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pre season training a couple of years ago. One of the drills was the team were separated into groups of three players in a straight line about 20m apart. First player face down on the floor with the footy next to them, Sando blows the whistle he jumps up kicks to player no.2 he spins around kicks it to player no.3 who kicks it back to no.2 who spins around and kicks it to player no.1. Easy drill, fastest team wins, the amount of missed targets was astounding to me, footy's flying around everywhere.

Take any kicking skills test then. Anything that tests the ability of the kicker to vary distance, trajectory, angle, depth, weighting, outside of the boot, across the body, moving target, stationary target, time pressure, smothering pressure etc.

Again, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli would absolutely leave our guys for dead. And so does Cheney, who was the worst kick in the Hawks system.
also worth noting that I'm not trying to argue that we kick it as well as Hawthorn on a good day, no team does, just that we can kick it well enough on a good day.

the North Melbourne game demonstrated that our players are actually capable of hitting targets when they're up and about - its not like we have to teach everyone the ball drop all over again... the problem is more to do with the way the skills breakdown under pressure from the opponent and the way that pressure has carved out a rut that we're stuck in at the moment. Plus stupidity when trying to choose the right option which compounds the problem.

Someone on Reddit made this about our slow starts.

cdJseyG.jpg

Our best 2 games we won the first quarters. Since then we've only won 1 against the Power, which we ended up losing anyway.

Our game plan is 1980's rubbish.

We seem to bomb to the next line close to the boundary so we punch the ball over the line and then expect to take clearance.

Copped the blowtorch on TF tonight for the AFC not being able to hit the side of a barn with a fistful of wheat. 47% kicking efficiency simply not compatible with our kick heavy gameplan that calls for hitting targets by foot.

Hopefully some heat from across the border finally brings this into the spotlight and places a premium on trying some younger players who can kick.

Copped the blowtorch on TF tonight for the AFC not being able to hit the side of a barn with a fistful of wheat. 47% kicking efficiency simply not compatible with our kick heavy gameplan that calls for hitting targets by foot.

Hopefully some heat from across the border finally brings this into the spotlight and places a premium on trying some younger players who can kick.
I agree, disregard whatever else they "bring to the table", cut the 3 worst kicks in the 22 and bring in the 3 best kicks currently in the SANFL and see what happens.

I'm happy to take the risk, needs to be done. One bad kick can be a massive momentum swinger.

cdJseyG.jpg

Our best 2 games we won the first quarters. Since then we've only won 1 against the Power, which we ended up losing anyway.
That's not what it says, pretty sure it refers to first goal only.

They started that last year.

Our game plan is 1980's rubbish.

We seem to bomb to the next line close to the boundary so we punch the ball over the line and then expect to take clearance.

You may be onto something here, we rank very highly in clearances so maybe that is the plan - if in doubt go close to the boundary and knock it out so we can reset.

Port Magpies played this gameplan to great effect in the late 80's and early 90's. Of course in their case they usually got a few goals ahead before they employed it and then were rarely ever caught ... it is not so effective when always coming from a deficit.

You may be onto something here, we rank very highly in clearances so maybe that is the plan - if in doubt go close to the boundary and knock it out so we can reset.

Port Magpies played this gameplan to great effect in the late 80's and early 90's. Of course in their case they usually got a few goals ahead before they employed it and then were rarely ever caught ... it is not so effective when always coming from a deficit.

Phil needs to fix those starts then!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil needs to fix those starts then!

The other thing was in SANFL the time when the ball was out of bounds was counted as game time so if you were a few goals up, knocking the ball out was a great timewasting tactic. Not sure whether that is still the rule for added time in SANFL?

Mr Walsh definitely needs to fix those starts. One thing to be behind but several games we have not even been competitive in the first 15 minutes. I think almost all of us would gladly take a nil all draw at qtr time rather than what we have been getting.

I know it's bad to let the first few goals fly past before you're settled...

But does anyone else ever think we're done after that happens? I always feel we'll get into a position to win it.

I know it's bad to let the first few goals fly past before you're settled...

But does anyone else ever think we're done after that happens? I always feel we'll get into a position to win it.

I agree, and I don't think it's a good thing.

In the spirit of Walsh comparing football to painting, I refer to Ella Fitzgerald's "I've Grown Accustomed To His Face"

http://www.lyricsmania.com/ive_grown_accustomed_to_his_face_lyrics_ella_fitzgerald.html

In our case ... We've Grown Accustomed To Poor Starts*

*Other more descriptive adjectives can be used to replace poor.

i wonder what midfield rotations have been used in the early minutes.
have we ever started with Douglas, Ellis Yemoan & Matt Crouch in the guts?

I wonder if there is a rotation that has been significant in halting the run against us? and just maybe that should be our starting setup... i also wonder if it's midway into the term when either Thommo and Danger head to pine for a spell that we find our first gear. Anyone have any idea on who the rotations are at these points? it's something i haven't really taken note of...

i wonder what midfield rotations have been used in the early minutes.
have we ever started with Douglas, Ellis Yemoan & Matt Crouch in the guts?

I wonder if there is a rotation that has been significant in halting the run against us? and just maybe that should be our starting setup... i also wonder if it's midway into the term when either Thommo and Danger head to pine for a spell that we find our first gear. Anyone have any idea on who the rotations are at these points? it's something i haven't really taken note of...

I can't recall Thommo not being at the first centre bounce since he returned to the side. He's there at the start of most quarters, he's the primary player that Sauce tries to get the ball to.

It's not all that interesting. He's struggled for large parts of games and especially early. He does work into it late in quarters and games though, but not so much when the pace is on. Not sure about last Saturday, I'd had a fair few, but I'd been watching reasonably closely prior to that.

i'd like to see Thommo work into the game from outside the square, i really think he could be a great forward foil and possibly early, by trying to get his hands on the cheapie out of the middle and get us on the scoreboard before heading into the guts when stamina prevails deeper into the quarter.

cdJseyG.jpg

That's just first goal but the true story is actually worse than that. Since rd 2, there has only been one game (Gold Coast) where we haven't got ourselves at least 3 goals down in the first quarter. Even the Port one we kicked the first 2 but were down 5-2 at quarter time.

I know the slickness of the other team can make us look slow and out of it at these starts, but against Brisbane we certainly began with cruise 'go-through-the-motions' football. And it began with Jacobs......carrying injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back