The Philadelphia Experiment - Maxey Better Sadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Haven't been in here for most of the season but need to vent about how garbage Australian media is at covering basketball (plus everything else).

Ben Simmons has improved this season, his defence is incredible and yet every headline you will see is

bEn SimMoNs StIlL nO sHoOt 3?

Holy s**t if they could just give it a rest and stick to talking about Jarryd Hayne, Holmes and Folau that would be great.

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phila 76ers , Phila Eagles , Man U
Haven't been in here for most of the season but need to vent about how garbage Australian media is at covering basketball (plus everything else).

Ben Simmons has improved this season, his defence is incredible and yet every headline you will see is

bEn SimMoNs StIlL nO sHoOt 3?

Holy s**t if they could just give it a rest and stick to talking about Jarryd Hayne, Holmes and Folau that would be great.

They'll change their tune when he gets us a medal at the Olympics. Aussie media is the absolute worse.

The only thing I'm on Bens back about is when he stands around and doesn't attack the rim in last quarters. I'm not too worried about his jump shot.

Also that Philly crowd yesterday wanted him to pull up and shoot from 3 when we had to run the clock down. Thought Philly fans were a bit smarter then that.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They'll change their tune when he gets us a medal at the Olympics. Aussie media is the absolute worse.

The only thing I'm on Bens back about is when he stands around and doesn't attack the rim in last quarters. I'm not too worried about his jump shot.

Also that Philly crowd yesterday wanted him to pull up and shoot from 3 when we had to run the clock down. Thought Philly fans were a bit smarter then that.

I'd be interested in more thoughts/discussion about how Simmons is performing this year as a defender. I see a lot of positive press in the US about his defence (like he could even be in the running for defender of the year) and he's tracking very well with steals and deflections. But then I visit Fivethirtyeight, where Nate Silver's rating system rates his defence below that of PGs like James Harden and Patty Mills! Is it because he doesn't generally guard point guards and/or is Silvers model just crap? Or is he not as good as the experts claim? The link on the website that explains how the rating system works seems to be broken.

Incidentally he also rates as a net negative on offence according to Silver. Now I know he's not a good shooter but some of the guys that rate ahead of him aren't fit to lick his jockstrap.

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wouldn't pay attention to those stats. Ben is a great defender. Would be 1st team all defense imo. That Silver bloke seems like a hater. Harden in front of Ben in any defense ratings just shows you it's a load of s**t. I could defend better then Harden.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have said once, will say it again we need outside shooters.

Boston pulling up for 1/2 there shots from beyond the arc. We struggling in the paint and have no continuity on the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trade Jonah Bolden to Mavs for Ryan Broekhoff? :)

Not like either of them are going to make any difference. But at least 1 of them might benefit personally by getting 1 or 2 minutes of court time.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
You'd think the Sixers were 7-19 and not 19-7 that way the media discourse is around the team. There's plenty of work to do offensively but that was obvious coming into the season, the defense has been as advertised and only getting better, they're gradually getting more flow on offense as things progress. Another gunner off the bench wouldn't hurt and we'll see how things move around when deals likely start getting going on Monday, but man, they're beating good teams, taking care of home court and starting to improve in areas. Not all doom and gloom.

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Just putting it out there but Korkmaz is s**t. Can't defend for s**t and his 3 point shooting isn't that great for a shooter. Instead of running out the clock for the last shot of the half he decided to shoot with 7 seconds left and they get a 2 pointer down the other end.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Just putting it out there but Korkmaz is s**t. Can't defend for s**t and his 3 point shooting isn't that great for a shooter. Instead of running out the clock for the last shot of the half he decided to shoot with 7 seconds left and they get a 2 pointer down the other end.
That was just as much on Ben going early as well and kicking it to him for the open shot.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Nah that wasn't on Ben mate. Korkmaz didn't have to shoot it.
lol what do you want? Stand there and not shoot a wide open 3? It's on Ben to hold it there until 8 seconds left and then initiate offense. Clock management there is his job, Not just driving with 14 or 15 left or whatever it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
lol what do you want? Stand there and not shoot a wide open 3? It's on Ben to hold it there until 8 seconds left and then initiate offense. Clock management there is his job, Not just driving with 14 or 15 left or whatever it was.

He wasn't wide open though. A guy was defending him and he decided to shoot over the top of him. I'm critical of Ben at times but that wasn't on him.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

100% this. For what he was brought in to do, his season % is .357 (leaders are up around the .45%). Doesn't do nearly enough outside of this to warrant the continuity he gets on court.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
You guys have pretty high hopes for a guy that were cut and then brought back on a minimum deal when we were capped out at the end of free agency. He's had some nice moments, his defense is probably always going to stink and he'll prob get cut at the end of the year but he's like also the only guy on the team who can get his shot off from 3 on the move, quickly and with a high release, that's why they've taken a shot on giving him decent minutes he's asked to take a lot tougher attempts than everyone else.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Be interesting to see what the sixers do if they lose another couple. Fans are calling for blood already. What's going on with Brown, Simmons and Embiid with respect to their strategy and tactics seemingly defies rational explanation.

spongebucket

All Australian
Jun 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NBA, F1, EPL
For a team the prides itself on defense the sixers are surely lacking, sure they get a few steals now and then but the inability to defend points in the paint and then the three, they should start trying the zone themselves, defense needs tweaking, also the offense is way off.

Energy will find the ball, something the Sixers are lacking, playing with energy and intent goes a long way.

Brett Brown needs start thinking tactically as well. There have been a few instances this season where oppositions teams have played the Sixers tactically and there has been no answer.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
For a team the prides itself on defense the sixers are surely lacking, sure they get a few steals now and then but the inability to defend points in the paint and then the three, they should start trying the zone themselves, defense needs tweaking, also the offense is way off.

Energy will find the ball, something the Sixers are lacking, playing with energy and intent goes a long way.

Brett Brown needs start thinking tactically as well. There have been a few instances this season where oppositions teams have played the Sixers tactically and there has been no answer.

Brett Brown has been at the helm for what, 6 - 7 years now, not one has he gone past the second round of the playoffs despite the personnel at his disposal.

I like him, think he's a nice guy but something is amiss at the moment. The style of play is slow and so reliant on few individuals which is rather disappointing and the depth on the roster is a real worry. The biggest issue for mine is the lack of shooting, we are so over reliant on points in the paint. Joel, Ben, Tobias all more inside than outside point getters. Richardson is supposedly one but doesn't shoot nearly as much as one would like, whilst the 3 point guys on other teams regularly sinking from the paint (Tim Hardaway Jnr 5 - 5 from beyond the arc in Q1 today), we hardly had anyone catch fire.

Anyways, I think it's as much a personnel problem as it is a game plan problem. Embid is a beast, Simmons should be a great, that's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back