The Philadelphia Experiment - Maxey Better Sadly

Remove this Banner Ad

So apparently the Spurs wanted 1 of Simmons/Embiid (preferrably Simmons) for Kawhi.

Obviously any combination of Saric, Fultz, Roco, Zhaire and draft picks wasn't going to be enough..

We move on, find a new slant

We were never going to get him. We’d never give Ben up.

Also this Nemanja bloke is a knob. Changed his mind fast now wants to play NBA. Flog.
Bjelica just chasing the money that Vlade wants to give him. His agent probably sniffed around Europe and then spoke to the Kings and realised they may have more $$ available for him than the agreed upon deal with the Sixers.

Interesting that the agent also represents Capella. Capella's last chance for a big RFA offer sheet is with the Kings. If Bjelica signs with Sacramento as reported it just gives Houston more leverage to hold him over and get him at a cheaper deal.

Wouldn't care if went to Europe, but signing with the Kings....urgh. Will be booed mercilessly.

Off-season as a whole has been pretty unremarkable, but I've said before that the biggest addition they can make would be a fit and firing Fultz. Other than that, they need to nail this GM pick. Heard they went after Morey, it's laughable that they would even try that given how they treated Hinkie, but I mean at least they know the calibre of GM they need - and it def shouldn't be an internal hire.

In collaboration with the Melo/Schroeder deal Philly have got involved:
TLC to OKC and Simba Anderson to Atlanta
Mike Muscala traded in.... (5M expiring).

More work to be done apparently in future moves. Possibly Holmes out..

I see TLC as being waived this season anyway and didn't have a great chance to make the roster. Really trading Simba for Muscala as a stretchy big for our bench unit.

We are at 15 roster spots now I believe. These 15 include Bayless (potential buyout) and Holmes (potential trade). Should be looking to give Shake Milton a 2 way and decide on Bolden/Holmes.

Guards and Wings: Simmons Fultz Redick Covington W. Chandler Zhaire Shamet TJ Korkmaz Bayless
Frontcourt: Embiid Dario Muscala Amir Holmes

Supposedly another trade in the works, gonna guess it involves shipping Bayless off somewhere with some assets to create space money wise to sign someone half decent.

Yeah I saw that, while the thought of having Korver back in a sixers jersey is nice and he's obviously a sniper it doesn't really help us a ton come playoff time where we were really begging for more short creators, it is useful for the regular season tho since we should probably be gunning for the 1 or 2 seed. They must be really confident Fultz has his juice back with his shot.

Yeah I saw that, while the thought of having Korver back in a sixers jersey is nice and he's obviously a sniper it doesn't really help us a ton come playoff time where we were really begging for more short creators, it is useful for the regular season tho since we should probably be gunning for the 1 or 2 seed. They must be really confident Fultz has his juice back with his shot.
Offloading Bayless who cannot at all contribute for Korver who can contribute is a win though isn't it? Feels we at worst have found our Belli replacement that can come off the bench and score.

I'm obviously a novice.. Is there a deadline with trades and what not? Or can they just go up until the season starts?

Offloading Bayless who cannot at all contribute for Korver who can contribute is a win though isn't it? Feels we at worst have found our Belli replacement that can come off the bench and score.

I'm obviously a novice.. Is there a deadline with trades and what not? Or can they just go up until the season starts?
Trade deadline is around mid feb, it's generally pretty quiet from when the season starts until the deadline where thee ends up being a rush of deals.

Yeah i mean, it's not bad or anything, like I said it helps us in the reg season and now having 2 of the best 3pt shooters in NBA history is pretty sweet and helps for the reg season, I just worry a lot hasn't been done to address deficiencies that were really bright when we played the Celtics which was a lack of ball handlers/shot creators, which is really what we have to be building towards. The big thing is how Fultz looks, because his skill set is much needed so hopefully working with Drew Hanlen all off season has fixed his shooting woes.

The problem with guys like Redick and Korver is they're awesome most of the time, typically until they come against a good playoff team that can really game plan to take away their strengths and get away with being more physical off the ball and if they're not getting those shots off they end up being kinda useless, especially after you spend so much of a possession trying to get them a good look.

But it should at least be another guy they can throw in different line ups and give more space to Ben and JoJo to do their thing.

Trade deadline is around mid feb, it's generally pretty quiet from when the season starts until the deadline where thee ends up being a rush of deals.

Yeah i mean, it's not bad or anything, like I said it helps us in the reg season and now having 2 of the best 3pt shooters in NBA history is pretty sweet and helps for the reg season, I just worry a lot hasn't been done to address deficiencies that were really bright when we played the Celtics which was a lack of ball handlers/shot creators, which is really what we have to be building towards. The big thing is how Fultz looks, because his skill set is much needed so hopefully working with Drew Hanlen all off season has fixed his shooting woes.

The problem with guys like Redick and Korver is they're awesome most of the time, typically until they come against a good playoff team that can really game plan to take away their strengths and get away with being more physical off the ball and if they're not getting those shots off they end up being kinda useless, especially after you spend so much of a possession trying to get them a good look.

But it should at least be another guy they can throw in different line ups and give more space to Ben and JoJo to do their thing.
This is assuming it all happens if course :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it is a significant win. Korver has two years left on his deal, but is guaranteed only (by only I mean by nba standards) 3.2mill guaranteed next year. Philly looked som much in the second half of last year because they added a couple of decent shooters compared to the start of the year when the likes of Bayless were missing open shots in key moments in games. Depth in shooters is a key to make the most of Ben's passing and when teams are double teaming Embid. I really like what Philly has done this off season as they seem to have got better while adding players who will still allow them flexibility at the end of the years in terms of going after another star player. Reddick, Chandler, Amir and Muscala all have contracts that expire at the end of the next season. The Philly roster curreently looks like:
Guards and Wings: Simmons, Fultz, Redick, Covington, W. Chandler, Zhaire Smith, Shamet, TJ, Korkmaz, Kover# oR Bayless to stay on
Frontcourt: Embiid Dario Muscala Amir Bolden
That roster means effectively our roster changes compared to those who played in the Boston series that could be expected to play significant roles (ive included Fultz because he barely played) reads that we have added Fultz, Chandler with Kover possibly still to come to the backcourt with only Bennelli and Anderson leaving. With Bolden and Muscala to cover the loss of Holmes and Ilysova in the front court. In my view that means we have added significant playmaking and better perimetre defence to the team compared to who played in the Boston series. Chandler can definitely create his own shot which provides greater flexibility for the Philly coaches if Ben is having a bad game. Last year when Ben was shutdown (see first three games of Boston series) we struggled to create a plan B in terms of someone creating shots for others. Fultz obviosuly should add to our playmaking capacity as well.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be a Philly offseason without our first round pick getting a serious injury..

Zhaire Smith Jones Fracture out until probably December January (or we redshirt him haha).

Three Jones fractures in 3 years for Sixers rookies my god you can only laugh at this point.

Brand is the type of GM you hire at the beginning of a 'Process', not the end. His name doesn't stack up when Rosas and Zanik were the other options. If you're going down the ex-player route who has an IN with players, then why not Malik Rose, who has the runs on the board?

That being said, I'm not going to completely knock it cause I love Old School Chevy. He'll be invested in analytics given Rucker's promotion (a Colangelo guy, but still) and he's well liked. Time will tell I guess, but it's not hard to think that they've blown their chance at a title by ho-humming the last 2.5 years. Just a pretty dumb offseason all-round, with only one worthwhile move (Zhaire trade) which could still take a while to pay off.

Brand is the type of GM you hire at the beginning of a 'Process', not the end. His name doesn't stack up when Rosas and Zanik were the other options. If you're going down the ex-player route who has an IN with players, then why not Malik Rose, who has the runs on the board?

That being said, I'm not going to completely knock it cause I love Old School Chevy. He'll be invested in analytics given Rucker's promotion (a Colangelo guy, but still) and he's well liked. Time will tell I guess, but it's not hard to think that they've blown their chance at a title by ho-humming the last 2.5 years. Just a pretty dumb offseason all-round, with only one worthwhile move (Zhaire trade) which could still take a while to pay off.

Very much a GM hire that keeps Brett Brown in the driver's seat in terms of team philosophy and player selections, salary cap usage and priorities for drafts. Brand was playing for us just a couple of years ago, will be interesting to see if he can grow into the role quickly. Much like Hinkie's hire, this is a high risk left field move that will be fascinating to discuss in three or four years. Certainly not the sort of GM signing that one would expect to sway star free agents or player managers (compared to a Griffen or a Rosas). Either he brings a decent chemistry and collaboration with Brown and the rest of the front office and coaches, or the Sixers just blew their chance to bring in a transformative, experienced and well connected GM. Or he is vanilla bland cardboard box stuff, and no-one really notices him at all...

Anyone listen to the live Ricky podcast? Dario was fantastic, such a likeable dude and I'll be very sad panda if we ever trade him.

Also really enjoyed Elton Brand being on there... Smart play, he'll get the fans on side quick and then he just has to pull the right strings at the right times

I've been tossing up whether to listen to it or not, live pods are always a bit of turnoff for me. The thing that is tempting me is Dario as he is a treasure.
I skipped past a lot.. All of the ads for starters. Basically until I heard the GM.. Then skipped to Dario.
I don't mind it as a podcast but * they are a hard listen.. Always so bloody long, also something about Spike annoys me.. I like Mike though

I skipped past a lot.. All of the ads for starters. Basically until I heard the GM.. Then skipped to Dario.
I don't mind it as a podcast but **** they are a hard listen.. Always so bloody long, also something about Spike annoys me.. I like Mike though
It's def better during the season when there's actually stuff going on and there's better conversation, Spike is def very hit and miss (The voice can be grating sometimes) but overall I think it's a pretty good pod for Sixers stuff, they have a good rapport together despite being seemingly pretty dif people. I like long form media so it's pretty perfect for me as far as length goes.

Was a particularly good pod to pick up around the time we drafted Okafor and just before the 10 win season since that wasn't the most fun all the time.

Here's a stat to think about heading into the season. Embid averaged just over thirty minutes a game last year playing 63 games. Late in the season when he got the eye injury it was mentioned on Jump that he had the biggest +- differential of how his team went when he was on the floor compared to when he wasnt of any player in the NBA. If he can play 36 minutes + in the playoffs look out. Early days, but Fultz is looking fantastic in the two recent preseason games. Season looks insanely promising in my view.

Jo Jo doesn’t need to play in China.. He is already in regular season form and can’t wait to watch him maul Al Horford and Baynes in a couple weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back