The Philadelphia Experiment - Maxey Better Sadly

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Yeah he got bailed out by that great defense in the last 2 minutes. I like him but some of his decisions are very questionable.
Brett Brown has no idea. 5 mins left and he has Simmons and Embiid on bench.

Why is he blamed for the bad and not acknowledged for the good?
Simmons/Embiid weren't stopping those Bellinelli threes. So we would've had more tired players and still probably 8+ points behind.

This team is developing a clutch nature from top to bottom, even without Jimmy. Terrific start to this tricky run, 3-1. Great win.

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Simmons/Embiid weren't stopping those Bellinelli threes. So we would've had more tired players and still probably 8+ points behind.

This team is developing a clutch nature from top to bottom, even without Jimmy. Terrific start to this tricky run, 3-1. Great win.
I did hear his press conference and he did say he thought they were fatiguing hence why they were on bench.

At present he doesn’t have the luxury and team to get away with this too often.

I like the way Shamet and Bolden are tracking.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I did hear his press conference and he did say he thought they were fatiguing hence why they were on bench.

At present he doesn’t have the luxury and team to get away with this too often.

I like the way Shamet and Bolden are tracking.

But the team would have lost if they fatigued the final 5 minutes. Why not set us up for the best chance to win?

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to a friend of mine who lives in Philly. Both Dallas and Philly are looking at a Dennis Smith Jr for Fultz and TJ trade. I wouldnt mind that. Smith would be a good fit on both offence and defence with his speed.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie

The ongoing joke is that Brett is 0-17 on the season while the players are 32-0.

People really take him for granted imo, there's stuff he does that I disagree with too, especially with some of his offensive philosophy but the way over the years he developed a culture through all the bad years and always having to be the face of a basically open tanking organisation and just keep on trucking and working towards what there is now really can't be spoken enough about. It's easy to forget for most people I think how young the key pillars of the team are and really how little time they've played together because of the rapid pace they've ascended, really breeds impatience.

Also it's easy to just assume Ben would have excelled the way he has so quickly anywhere he went because that's what we're used to seeing from day 1 in the league but I don't know too many coaches and staff that would have play as a primary ball handler from day one and empowered him to be a pg even tho he showed obvious skills as this type of guy as a prospect. I can only imagine him going to someone way more rigid who would have just played him as a 4 with much less ball handling like LSU handled him.

There's def some frustrations as a can of what he does sometimes, but that's every team with every coach, even Kerr gets blasted by GSW fans and they smoke everyone every game.

Brett Brown has no idea. 5 mins left and he has Simmons and Embiid on bench.
It was certainly weird at the time, mainly because it's so different to how they normally set up rotations, especially since he usually does a really good job of staggering them and never having a line up where they both sit. But like you said already from Brett's presser it was a bit of a gut feel thing of them being fatigued, and trying just to pinch a minute without them. I did note in the gameday thread that Embiid looked like he was about to die on his feet at one stage during the 3rd or 4th when he was carrying the whole scoring load, he ended up playing longer to start the 3rd than normal, then they got in a hole and it kinda messed up the usual flow of subs.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
the weirdest constructed roster in the league - check
a bench that looks like the rejects from a coach carter audition - check
actually getting valuable production from said bench including from a couple of rooks and an exiled vet - check
team on it's best stretch of games in 8 years - check

cop: [sixers win game] "brett brown is coaching for his future" - check check check

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
the weirdest constructed roster in the league - check
a bench that looks like the rejects from a coach carter audition - check
actually getting valuable production from said bench including from a couple of rooks and an exiled vet - check
team on it's best stretch of games in 8 years - check

cop: [sixers win game] "brett brown is coaching for his future" - check check check
Ive watched the nba closely for 20 years and followed Philly for 15 years plus after going on a holiday there. This year they are the strangest team to watch that I can ever remember. (got league pass watch a lot) At times, when Butler and Embid are playing a terrific two man game they look great. When Ben's pushing the ball they look great. On defence when Embid's highly motivated as the same time as both Butler and Ben are they look like the best defensive team in the nba. One of them subs out or is having a low energy game they look like a below average defensive team. THe players they've played in the 4 spot have been terrible overall, but somehow they still win more often than not. One of the better teams at positions 1, 3, 5. Below average at the 2 spot and the worst in the league in 4 spot production. Shamet is the one they need play more. Being great over the last month. Just bizzare to watch though. They need to find the Bellini and Iliasova players from this year and see if they can buy out a contract. Another shooter is essential as is another playmaker as I dont Fultz will have any impact this year.

Seriously, some of the games you have to see to believe. They can go from looking to be championship contenders to lottery draft contenders with one substitution or Embid having a good (championship contender) to bad (lottery contender) spell in 5 minutes of court time.

Happy days!!

Was watching the scores at work this arvo, the last 5 mins I was watching incognito on my phone.. Completely blew that by banging my desk and yelling YES! when JJ hit that 3 late..

Great win it seems, will watch the replay when I get the kids to bed tonight...
Steph is absolutely terrifying though, those last 3 mins I was sweating every time he touched it

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Really terrific win.

Curry was tremendous, and they were missing Thompson and Cousins was on a minute restriction, however a truly brilliant performance, beating #1 in the West in their building.

Defence was fantastic after q1.
Simmons was magnificent. Having him as a threat down low is working really well at present
Embiid dominated inside.
Big plays from nearly all players. Bench actually performed pretty well!
Good road win without huge game from Butler and despite Chandler being injured.

Now 5-2 on this tough stretch. And after @ Sacramento will be at home for the final 4 games.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
OH. MY. GOD. YES. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

2954617F-17C6-43AF-BEDC-A4387B062A82.jpeg

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
My boy Tobias Harris is now a Sixer!
The full trade is:
Landry Shamet, Mike Muscala, and Wilson Chandler to the Los Angeles Clippers for Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott, according to league sources.
Sources confirmed that in addition to the three players the Sixers will also send a lottery-protected 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 unprotected first-round pick (via Miami), a 2021 second-round pick (via Detroit), and a 2023 second-round pick (via Detroit) to the Clippers.

Watching the Sixers this year its obvious they needed another shooter and Harris fills that need in spades. He's shooting his three at nearly 44% this season. In the short term the Sixers have basically traded Shamet for Harris in that I would say Scott and Martanovic would have similar trade value to Muscala and Chandler. Scott's also a better shooter that Chandler from deep who's pretty athletic on defence. Marjanovic is decently athletic considering he's 7-3 so he obviously provides some extra size to bring onto the court to spell Embid. Very happy with this trade as Harris will compliment Ben brilliantly. The Clippers could very well end up doing well out of the trade as well though as they gained a very good young player, some expiring contracts and a pick that might end up being very useful in the 2021 miami pick for a player who wanted more money then their front office probably wanted to offer to stay at the team after this year.

Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers/Rockies/Colts/West Ham
The full trade is:
Landry Shamet, Mike Muscala, and Wilson Chandler to the Los Angeles Clippers for Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott, according to league sources.
Sources confirmed that in addition to the three players the Sixers will also send a lottery-protected 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 unprotected first-round pick (via Miami), a 2021 second-round pick (via Detroit), and a 2023 second-round pick (via Detroit) to the Clippers.

Watching the Sixers this year its obvious they needed another shooter and Harris fills that need in spades. He's shooting his three at nearly 44% this season. In the short term the Sixers have basically traded Shamet for Harris in that I would say Scott and Martanovic would have similar trade value to Muscala and Chandler. Scott's also a better shooter that Chandler from deep who's pretty athletic on defence. Marjanovic is decently athletic considering he's 7-3 so he obviously provides some extra size to bring onto the court to spell Embid. Very happy with this trade as Harris will compliment Ben brilliantly. The Clippers could very well end up doing well out of the trade as well though as they gained a very good young player, some expiring contracts and a pick that might end up being very useful in the 2021 miami pick for a player who wanted more money then their front office probably wanted to offer to stay at the team after this year.

Yeah. I liked Shamet but not fussed about the rest, maybe that Miami pick would be a good one but I doubt it will be a top 10.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
If we can pick up a couple of nice bench pieces in the buy out market we can really strongly contend this year, obviously no one is getting close to the Warriors this year barring major injury but jeez on potential we are as good as anyone else. Harris isn't just a very good player but also exactly what we needed. Will help our spacing massively and we now have 4 starters that can shoot to start alongside Ben. We need a back up PG because TJ has been getting exposed massively over the past month or so, he needs to be a low minutes guy that comes on with high intensity when needed.

I am so hyped for the rest of this season though to see what this team can do,

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gave Fultz away for a packet of chips. Safe to say now that was a big blunder picking him number 1.

Is the nerve damage legit? if so we may have got a steal, could literally be the only good move our organisation has made in a decade.

Back