Toast THE PIECE OF “FOLKLORE” INVOLVED IN RICHMOND-FITZROY HOGG TRADE

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Back in 1993, Richmond sensationally traded captain Jeff Hogg to Fitzroy.

In exchange for the full-forward, the Tigers received Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas from the Lions.

Fitzroy had lost gun forward Alastair Lynch to the Brisbane Bears while the Tigers had just seen future star Matthew Richardson return 31 goals from 14 matches in his debut season.

It was a scenario that enabled the deal to be done.

But there is a peculiar piece of information that adds even further intrigue to what was a massive trade in its day.

As legend has it, a Punt Road goal net was also thrown into the mix as an add-on according to former Tigers captain Wayne Campbell.

“I don’t know whether this story is true but it’s folklore that it was actually Jeff Hogg and a goal net for those three players,” Campbell said on SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“The story goes that the meeting was held at the Richmond footy club, they were about to sign the deal and they were taking the goal net down from the end of the Punt Road Oval because they were redeveloping.

“I think it was Glenn Warry, who was the football manager at Fitzroy, and Doug Vickers (Richmond’s football manager). Glenn said, ‘What are you doing with that?’. We said we were going to throw it out, it’s a goal net.

“So they did the deal and Glenn took Jeff Hogg and the goal net for those three players.

“I don’t think it was written into the deal but I think he did take the goal net to the Junction Oval.

“It wasn’t to add to the Jeff Hogg deal but it was one of those folklore discussions. I don’t know if it was real or not but it was a bloody funny story.”

Campbell further highlighted just how significant the deal was which saw a club captain depart after leading the goalkicking in five of six years prior to his exit.

“It was really big because he was a great fellow and a really good player,” he added.

“He kicked a lot of goals and was sort of the shining light. A full-forward that is going ok in a team that’s battling, the supporters really hold them up high and so do their teammates.

“I would have been 20 and you don’t understand the backroom dealings for the first five or so years of your career.

“They traded the captain out, which is massive, but they brought three players in which goes to show (how good he was).”

In 144 games for Richmond between 1986 and 1993, Hogg kicked 306 goals which sits 11th on the club’s all-time goal kicking list.

The Mt Waverley product kicked a further 41 in 40 outings for the battling Lions prior to finishing up in 1996 after tallying 184 VFL/AFL games and 347 goals

Last edited:
My how things have changed... I remember my dad and I going to the Newsagents and picking up the paper and learning of that trade after it was all done and dusted. Could you imagine how a trade like that would go down nowadays with the media, fans, bigfooty main board etc?

Hans Klopek

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice bit of footy folklore.

He was one of our Coming Home heroes in 2019. You could tell how few supporters we had back in the late 80s and early 90s when Hogg received muted crowd acknowledgment pre-game (I guess we only had 9000 members in 1994, so not many saw him play week in, week out). This guy was one of the few shining lights in our team. Played in an even worse era than Richo (can't believe we had a worse era than Richo's). A good example of how Hogg would have benefited from not being at a basket case of a club, came a few weeks after he kicked 10 against the Pies. This saw Hogg playing on Tony Lockett at full back and keeping him to 5 goals, which in 1991 was a great result (Lockett kicked 127 in 17 games). Hogg kicked 68 goals in 1991 (including 10 and 7 against the Pies), whilst also playing 4-5 games at full back. Had Hogg not played at the worse time in our recent history and not had his back problems, he would have been much more highly regarded. Heck without the back problems, he should be more highly regarded. Imagine a fit Hogg in 1994-96 playing alongside Richo? Ah well. My first favourite player at Tigerland and was gutted to see him go. But, he was finished with his injuries and we did benefit greatly from the trade.

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
It's tough when you are the best full-forward AND the best full-back at the club.
I guess the thinking behind playing him a lot at full-back was at least the ball got down there sometimes, whereas it rarely got past the centre-line at Richmond during the glorious early 90s.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice bit of footy folklore.

He was one of our Coming Home heroes in 2019. You could tell how few supporters we had back in the late 80s and early 90s when Hogg received muted crowd acknowledgment pre-game (I guess we only had 9000 members in 1994, so not many saw him play week in, week out). This guy was one of the few shining lights in our team. Played in an even worse era than Richo (can't believe we had a worse era than Richo's). A good example of how Hogg would have benefited from not being at a basket case of a club, came a few weeks after he kicked 10 against the Pies. This saw Hogg playing on Tony Lockett at full back and keeping him to 5 goals, which in 1991 was a great result (Lockett kicked 127 in 17 games). Hogg kicked 68 goals in 1991 (including 10 and 7 against the Pies), whilst also playing 4-5 games at full back. Had Hogg not played at the worse time in our recent history and not had his back problems, he would have been much more highly regarded. Heck without the back problems, he should be more highly regarded. Imagine a fit Hogg in 1994-96 playing alongside Richo? Ah well. My first favourite player at Tigerland and was gutted to see him go. But, he was finished with his injuries and we did benefit greatly from the trade.
Flashback to a memorable Mother’s Day for Tigers

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez, just looked up his stats. Poor bastard.

41 wins from 144 games at Richmond. 28% win rate.
4 wins from 40 games at Fitzroy. 10% win rate.

Finished his career with 33 straight losses across the 94, 95 and 96 seasons.

IIRC he was drafted straight out of high school.

JackGraham

If he kicks it we win
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
IIRC he was drafted straight out of high school.

I went to Mt. Waverley HS when Hoggie was there, he was a couple of years ahead of me. Barry Rowlings would come out to watch school footy games if he was interested in the talent. Hoggie would shatter the kids from other schools when he would take marks about 10m off the centre circle. .. line up... and dob ' em straight through. These guys didn't realise they we playing on a future AFL captain.

aislegi

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
I went to Mt. Waverley HS when Hoggie was there, he was a couple of years ahead of me. Barry Rowlings would come out to watch school footy games if he was interested in the talent. Hoggie would shatter the kids from other schools when he would take marks about 10m off the centre circle. .. line up... and dob ' em straight through. These guys didn't realise they we playing on a future AFL captain.

I wish I’d seen that. My older sisters went to the same school but we moved to Canberra when I was eight and my closest brush with fame on a football field was in about 1984 in a game against Ainslie or Eastlake. We were in the hunt at half time but then this blonde kid came on and booted five goals in as many minutes. Years later, when I found out that he played junior football in Canberra, it occurred to me that it was probably James Hird.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I wish I’d seen that. My older sisters went to the same school but we moved to Canberra when I was eight and my closest brush with fame on a football field was in about 1984 in a game against Ainslie or Eastlake. We were in the hunt at half time but then this blonde kid came on and booted five goals in as many minutes. Years later, when I found out that he played junior football in Canberra, it occurred to me that it was probably James Hird.
It’s funny isn’t it. You think you’re pretty good... and then someone elite shows up.

I'm pretty sure it was hogg and our first round pick for Broderick, Dundas and Gale.

Then we also poached Jamie Elliott the same year because there was some weird rule about being able to draft one unsigned player from each club per year. I think that might be the same rule that got Maxfield to Sydney.

Hogg was the first player to kick a goal against every other club.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm pretty sure it was hogg and our first round pick for Broderick, Dundas and Gale.

Then we also poached Jamie Elliott the same year because there was some weird rule about being able to draft one unsigned player from each club per year. I think that might be the same rule that got Maxfield to Sydney.

Hogg was the first player to kick a goal against every other club.
Money for old rope.

I still remember getting home (i was living with my brother at the time) and he was furious at the trade. Went off his ****. Bart (not his real name - nicknamed after KB), i know you lurk here on the board, feel free to express your thoughts and emotions from the time 🤣.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I remember a day out at the Western Oval and Hogg had done a hammy .... and we (fitzroy) were getting killed again. He got cheered off because he was stinking up the forward line and the supporters had had enough. We'd been sold a lemon. Hogg was half the player he was at the tigers. Broderick and Gale were state players and Dundas was a gem up forward. Tigers cleaned us up in that deal, bigtime.
Good player. Reckon we bemt Fitzroy over though. Broderick was a freak

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back