Competitions The Pieman 2021 is coming! - take part in a one-match trial vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm calling for anyone interested in taking part in a one-off trial of Pieman MkII (henceforth just called The Pieman) for today's pre-season match against Melbourne.

It'll help sort out my software for the season proper when the real Pieman begins.

It's very simple and you're welcome to take part in the trial even if you have no intention of being part of the season comp. There will be a winner announced for this one game.

How to play:
All you have to do is make 5 player selections from the list below. This can include multiples of any player (up to 3 times) or you may just want to choose 5 different players which puts you in line for a 20 point bonus. For instance you can choose
Naughton x 3, Vandermeer, Dale​
or​
Naughton, Bruce, Wallis, English and B Smith​
or​
Schache x 2, West x 2, Scott​
and so on, as long as it adds up to 5 players.
Just post your entry in this thread.
If one of your players is a late withdrawal you get the player who takes his place as a sub - or you can make a change to your picks before the game starts.

How the winner is determined:
It's simply a matter of multiplying the player's handicap (see list below) by the number of goals he kicks. Then adding up your scores for all your players.
There's also a 20 point bonus if you pick five different players and they kick at least one goal each.
The highest aggregate score wins.

Here are the handicaps. Note that the players shaded green are emergencies. I've given them a handicap in case any of them is a late inclusion.

1615126458192.png

I'd really appreciate it if I could get a dozen or so entries. The more the merrier.

Results will be posted later tonight.

I might as well have a crack at this myself ...

Bruce, McNeil, English, Schache, Lipinski

EDIT (10:10): Just read that Schache is warming up for the reserves game. So I'll sub in Bont for Schache.

Bruce, McNeil, English, Bontempelli, Lipinski

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks everyone for entering at short notice.
Here are the picks so far (haven't QA'd them for correct data entry but hey it's only a pre-season game ;)).

1615175801346.png

And here's the popularity poll so far:

PlayerPicked
English22
West8
Bruce8
Bontempelli6
McNeil6
Wallis5
Dunkley5
Bedendo5
Naughton5
Smith B3
Hunter3
Liberatore2
Dale2
Martin1
Macrae1
Schache1
Lipinski1
Smith R1

PIEMAN RESULTS PRE-SEASON MATCH v MELBOURNE

Thanks everyone for participating. It helped me iron out a few things in my Excel workbook and identify a couple more things that need refining. It also helped me get an idea on handicapping.

For your part I hoped it gave you a feel for the best way to tackle the coming Pieman season. Remember that you can pick entirely new players each week (with new handicaps also being issued each week) or you can just let them default to the same 5 you had last week if you'd rather have a "set and forget" approach.

Today was a bit tricky with the practice match format, not knowing who was actually playing. As it turned out only Schache and Roarke Smith didn't get game time in the seniors game. Two of us picked Schache and one picked Roarke. I made a change to mine this morning (bringing in Bont for Schache :) ) and ossie_21 nominated English as a sub for Schache so the only one affected was Dogs_R_Us who had Roarke. The sub rule wasn't clear in this practice match situation but even if I gave DRU the Pieman Player of the Week (Lipinski) it would only have moved him up to 8th.

Anyway onto the winner. It was ... (drum roll) ...

DOGWATCH! :$

But don't worry folks. I won't be entering the comp this year. Because of the changed nature of the comp it could look like a conflict of interest, so I'll leave you lot to battle it out.

Here are the provisional results. I was the only one to get the 20 point bonus for all 5 selected players kicking goals.

If you spot any errors in your score please let me know so I can fix up the bug or whatever caused it.

1615189477349.png

Also if you have any feedback - suggestions, questions, likes, dislikes, etc please reply here (or PM me if you prefer). No guarantee I'll implement your ideas but I promise to consider them. They're always appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back