Competitions The Pieman 2021 - with a difference!

Remove this Banner Ad

McNeil x 2, Treloar, Bont, English x 2
Thanks
Whoa there SD you've made 6 selections.
Which do you want to drop?

If I don't hear from you before the bounce I'll drop the last one (ie English x 2 becomes English x 1).

In case anyone was wondering I'm not entering the Pieman this year as it could be seen that there is too much scope in the new format for the Pieman organiser to wangle things to personal advantage (eg weekly handicaps and if people want to PM me their selections confidentially late in the season).

While I'd never do that of course 😇 the conflict of interest is still not a good look, so I'll sit the season out.

In case anyone was wondering I'm not entering the Pieman this year as it could be seen that there is too much scope in the new format for the Pieman organiser to wangle things to personal advantage (eg weekly handicaps and if people want to PM me their selections confidentially late in the season).

While I'd never do that of course 😇 the conflict of interest is still not a good look, so I'll sit the season out.
[/QUOTE

Mate, We'd Trust you!:)

Kudos for the offer, mate, but it seems a bit harsh. It never occurred to me that you would do anything untoward and I'm very happy for you to take your place as usual.

Kudos for the offer, mate, but it seems a bit harsh. It never occurred to me that you would do anything untoward and I'm very happy for you to take your place as usual.

I second this. At the very least you should assign yourself the ‘default team’ and let it ferment through the course of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t sit out dogwatch. Quickly sort a team out, there is no conflict of interest and its all just a bit of fun.

Also can’t believe I didn’t get tagged in the reminder. My heart hurts.

Don’t sit out dogwatch. Quickly sort a team out, there is no conflict of interest and its all just a bit of fun.

Also can’t believe I didn’t get tagged in the reminder. My heart hurts.
How could I have overlooked it!!
My humble apologies.

Whoa there SD you've made 6 selections.
Which do you want to drop?

If I don't hear from you before the bounce I'll drop the last one (ie English x 2 becomes English x 1).
Thanks dogwatch! The scary thing is I counted that set up about 3 times and it always = 5. Clearly too many pre game pints.

I just saw this now :-(

May i have a team too? Happy if you want to random draw some players for me?
Hmmmm. Tough one. I don't want to exclude you but I also don't want to penalise those who got their picks in on time.

I was going to suggest you get the same score as the lowest this week but it looks like the lowest score this week was a zero so it doesn't provide you with anything to start your season.

As there were a few regulars who missed entering who might have wanted to join I'm prepared to go along with the idea of allocating a team based on random picks from the 22 who played. And I'd extend the same courtesy to anybody else who forgot and wanted to join after Rd 1 if they let me know by Wednesday at the latest. (Or even those wanting to join after Rd 2 ... but I'd only do it for them for one round, not for as many rounds as they've missed.)

Chances are you wouldn't get a high score.

It's a long season which will be even longer if we go deep into the finals, so one round of random catch-up shouldn't have any major impact on the final outcome. And I'm all for including any who wants to play.

Two provisos:
  1. Your random team can't propel you straight into the top 10 for the round. That means your score would be capped at 65 this week, even if you somehow fluked getting 3xVandermeer and 2xMcNeil.
  2. There are no compelling objections from those who entered on time. (And I decide what's compelling or not!)
I think that's pretty fair.

So ... does anyone have any objections to this?

If no compelling objections I'll allocate a random R1 team for you - and do the same for any other takers - about mid-week. (You'd each get a different random team).
That should allow enough time for anyone to have their say if they feel aggrieved.

PIEMAN ROUND 1 RESULTS v Collingwood

It's too late for a detailed write-up but for now all you probably want to know is how you went in Round 1. Well here goes.

Pieman Player of the Week

It was Bailey Smith.

1616160835873.png

So the maximum possible score was 252 (3 x BSmith and 2 x Vandermeer). Nobody came close.

The KELVIN
And of course the Kelvin winner for Round 1 will also be the Pieman season leader.

Congrats to Wocka (135 pts) who has bounced back from the disappointment of 2020 with a strong win in Rd 1 2021. And he used his talisman Vandermeer to good effect once more ( Charlie Bucket who pipped him last year might be contemplating that!)

Many of us who had Bont in our team would have been spewing that he gave away a certain goal to Bailey Smith (but is any goal really certain with the Bont?) None more than Jeff 1975 (130) who would have won the Kelvin but for that act of unselfishness. Jeff finished second and a previous Pieman winner StringyDog was the only other to crack the ton, finishing third this week with 106.

Nobody got the 20 pt bonus, but Jeff1975 would have done so if only Bont hadn't ... you know.

Enough chatter. Here are the provisional* Kelvin scores for this week.

1616161759975.png

* The above table should be treated as provisional because:

1. I would normally do a fair bit of manual checking of Pieman scores for the first round of a season, especially this one where the format has changed so much from 2020. However due to the late hour I've skipped all that, crossed my fingers and published the results. So please check your score. If you notice anything strange or you think there's an error please let me know ASAP as it could indicate a bug in the system. It doesn't happen often but it has happened once or twice before.

2. I may include randomised entries (capped at a maximum of 65 pts) for anyone who wants to join after Rd 1. See the post on this above. If so I will re-jig the table of scores and post it here about mid-week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back