Competitions The Pieman 2021 - with a difference!

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightman, Bont, Marra, Dunkley, B Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marra
Marra
Garcia
Dunkley
English

Please
Random Dog has joined the Dunkley love-in.

Bontempelli, Dunkley, English, Richards, Dunkley
Bont
Hunter
Macrae
B Smith
Dunkley
Bont, Cody, JJ, Dunkley and Macrae

🖐(one, two, three, four, five... okay five!)
Bruce Bruce Marra Marra Garcia
Bruce
Dunkley
McNeil
Naughton
Garcia
English
Mcneil
Bont
Weightman
Naughton
Weightman, Bont, Marra, Dunkley, B Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astro x2, Marra x2, Dunkley

Thanks DW
dogwatch's picks

Naughton, Bont, Weightman, McNeil, Daniel

Done.

1626493377497.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PIEMAN RESULTS Rd 18 v Gold Coast

We kicked straight for a change. Did just enough. Banked the four points. That'll do me for now.
The usual suspects - Naughton, Bruce and Bont - only kicked two between them. So there were some slightly unusual scores in the Pieman.

Pieman Substitutes

There were 20 Pieman subs needed in 12 of the 15 carryover teams. Daniel (39 pts) featured 14 times. Happy days for some!
  • businessfish - Daniel for Libba and Richards for Wallis
  • Dishlicker - Richards for Libba
  • Fossie 32 - Daniel for Wallis
  • Jeff 1975 - Daniel for Libba
  • josh the gent - Daniel for Wallis and Richards for Hannan
  • lateniter - Daniel for Libba and Richards for Scott
  • ossie_21 - 2x Daniel for 2x Wallis :)
  • ScottyDog - Daniel for Scott
  • ScragCity - 2x Daniel for 2x Libba
  • theAthenian - Daniel for Wallis
  • Vinegar Mess had nearly his entire team substituted - 2x Daniel for 2x Wallis, Richards for Scott, B Smith for Hannan
  • VL3OJ - Daniel for Libba
Pieman Player of the Week

Jack Macrae had kicked multiple goals only 4 times in his 175 games before today so he would have been long odds to kick two but that's what he did, making him Pieman Player of the Week. Even JJ had only scored multiples on 7 occasions in 158 games before today.

Maximum possible score today was 372.

1626523634407.png

Pieman Player of the Year

Still no change at the top but Weightman has moved into fifth and JJ to seventh.

1626523749331.png

The KELVIN

Once again the carryover teams have performed best.

The story of the week has to be the turnaround in form for ScragCity who wanted to forfeit this week and rest up for the big clash with the Crows next week. He had also made tentative surgery bookings for his entire team so they'd be right for 2022. Anyway that's all on hold now because Scrag blitzed them. In fact he had racked up the 254 points before half time and put the cue in the rack after that. His 254 included 2x 39 for Caleb Daniel as a sub. Second placed businessfish (190) also had Caleb as a sub. Floridog (166) managed to count to five this week and was rewarded with third place.

weltschmerz was the only one to collect the 20 point bonus.

1626523922175.png

The PIEMAN
The lead for Wocka has increased slightly as SayerTheCreator has slipped from 2nd to 5th. Vinegar Mess has moved into second place 90 points behind the leader and Floridog has moved into third overall. businessfish has quietly snuck into the top 10.

Meanwhile Kelvin-winning Scrag has climbed off the bottom of the table, a spot he has occupied for much of the season.
It's now occupied by a sad RandomDog. :sadv1:

1626524397154.png

Last edited:
Quick editorial here.

For the first time this year I'm a bit vexed as to what to do with the weekly Pieman handicaps.

I had them all drafted and ready to cut & paste here as soon as the official teams came out, but Bevo pulling the Schache rabbit out of the hat raises some tricky questions.
  • Do I consider Schache a legit forward or will he have a role upfield, perhaps even as an interceptor in defence? If he's a genuine forward and I set his handicap accordingly whose handicaps do I lengthen so that the handicaps overall remain a zero sum proposition?
  • However if I assume he's going to play in defence then obviously his handicap would normally be at least 30-40. But what if he gets swung forward either during the game or even at the start of it? That would be a pretty generous handicap for a KPF!
  • Or what if my own suspicion is correct - that one of the designated KPFs is injured and there will be a late replacement from the emergency bench, with Schache just slotting in as a regular CHF? Under the zero-sum principle the late withdrawal of any one of the most likely goalscorers would mean some others are at much higher handicap values than they would have been if I had known about it. Do I then hurriedly change a whole lot of handicaps just an hour before the game?
While I have always reserved the right to make late changes to handicaps before match start time it's something I have tried very hard NOT to do all year. Especially not when it means reducing the handicap value of players. Nobody will take kindly to seeing their selected player's handicap value being slashed after they have nominated their team.

So after some thought here's what I'll be doing. I'm going to work on the assumption that a player will be a late withdrawal, most likely one of our tall forwards. That means there will be an extra player (Schache) high up on the handicaps this week. If one of them pulls out before the game then the normal zero-sum balance will be restored.

If that's not how it pans out then you'll just have to accept that you won't get quite as much value in the handicaps this week. That's unfortunate but it's no big deal because it will affect everybody equally.

Handicaps to be posted soon.

Bont x 3, Naughton x 2 thanks
Slight changes coming in the handicap list I just posted (and deleted). It was an earlier draft. Probably won't affect your picks though.
EDIT: actually it will. Bont is 12 not 13. Feel free to amend your picks if you want,of course.

Apologies.

PIEMAN HANDICAPS Rd 19 v Melbourne

OK, after a couple of clangers :embarrassedv1: here we go.

I reserve the right to make late changes but will try not to. See my earlier post for an explanation.

1626959376121.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back