Competitions The Pieman 2021 - with a difference!

LordC

Senior List
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English
Bont
Treloar
Dunkley
Jong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinegar Mess

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Going for the sneaky bonus out of desperation:
Dunkley, Treloar, Bontempelli, Scott, English.

PIEMAN RESULTS ROUND 6 vs GWS

It was looking slim pickings for a long time at Manuka. Only 6 goals to 3/4 time. A nine goal final term set that right and ensured we had some good scores. Surprisingly nobody got the 20 point bonus despite a good spread of 10 goalkickers.

My ongoing irritation is with the medical sub and it played out differently again last night. More on that below.

Pieman Player of the Week

Just quietly going about his business as usual, Libba picked up the PPotW award with a couple of well-directed long range shots.

1619249714022.png

Pieman Player of the Year

Josh Bruce is still bowling along as the front-runner courtesy of his bag of 10 against North. The rest are fairly well clustered.

1619249854166.png

1619250064883.png

The KELVIN

Our Kelvin winner this week is dish licker who decided to get active after a few weeks of letting his carryover team do the work. It paid off with 162 points, thanks mainly to Libba and a support role from Macrae. TempletonTheRat came second with 139 and theAthenian was third with 126. Kermit (106) and Floridog (104) maintained their strong form and lateniter 's carryover team (104) was the only other to crack 100, getting Bont x2 as the sub for Sweet x2.

The big bust this week was of course Lin Jong. He was picked 25 times and Pieman expectations were high when he marked 35m out early in the first quarter. But he missed that shot and it went rapidly downhill from there as he was subbed out shortly after with a hamstring injury.

Now on to the messy business of the medical sub: Fossie 32 was stiff. But hey, the rules are the rules.

So what happened? Well just the other week I realised that getting lumbered with the medical sub was a bit unfair. Most of the time you would get very little game time - maybe only the last quarter - and you'd pretty much lose one of your five picks for the week. So I posted a rule change after inviting comment (nobody commented) and just to be 100% clear I said that you can't retain the medical sub for your team even if you wanted to. Fossie had McNeil in his team last week and he didn't lodge a new team so McNeil was part of Fossie's
provisional team for this week. However MC played funny buggers and "managed" (omitted) McNeil this week, meaning I had to give Fossie the sub, who was Dunkley in this case (Fossie already had the Bont).

As you all know McNeil came into the game after only about 10-15 minutes for the ill-fated Lin Jong and snagged 2 goals. If he had been in the original 22 that would have been a lazy 48 pts to Fossie. Instead he got zero for Dunks. Those 48 points would not have given Fossie the Kelvin (he would have come 4th) but it would have left him in third spot in the Pieman instead of 12th. Sorry Foss!

SayerTheCreator also picked McNeil before the side was announced but quickly changed McNeil to Jong. It was ironic that his original pick came in for the man he replaced and kicked two goals. It's a messy business whichever way we do it. I think we'll stick with the rules as they currently stand rather than keep changing them based on one unusual week's results.

As noted above, nobody got the 20 point bonus this week.

1619253545843.png

The PIEMAN

It's getting tight at the top. Only 65 points separates first from 13th. Boyd oh Boyd still clings to a narrow lead but it's now TempletonTheRat who is challenging and only 8 points off the lead. Floridog has moved into third not far behind. dish licker moved up from 34th to 24th with this week's Kelvin win.

I'm pleased with the evenness of this year's comp, and with the unpredictability of results from week to week. I hope it's also a better experience for all who have joined in the comp this year.

1619253900104.png

PIEMAN RESULTS ROUND 6 vs GWS

It was looking slim pickings for a long time at Manuka. Only 6 goals to 3/4 time. A nine goal final term set that right and ensured we had some good scores. Surprisingly nobody got the 20 point bonus despite a good spread of 10 goalkickers.

My ongoing irritation is with the medical sub and it played out differently again last night. More on that below.

Pieman Player of the Week

Just quietly going about his business as usual, Libba picked up the PPotW award with a couple of well-directed long range shots.

View attachment 1110494

Pieman Player of the Year

Josh Bruce is still bowling along as the front-runner courtesy of his bag of 10 against North. The rest are fairly well clustered.

View attachment 1110495

View attachment 1110498

The KELVIN

Our Kelvin winner this week is dish licker who decided to get active after a few weeks of letting his carryover team do the work. It paid off with 162 points, thanks mainly to Libba and a support role from Macrae. TempletonTheRat came second with 139 and theAthenian was third with 126. Kermit (106) and Floridog (104) maintained their strong form and lateniter 's carryover team (104) was the only other to crack 100, getting Bont x2 as the sub for Sweet x2.

The big bust this week was of course Lin Jong. He was picked 25 times and Pieman expectations were high when he marked 35m out early in the first quarter. But he missed that shot and it went rapidly downhill from there as he was subbed out shortly after with a hamstring injury.

Now on to the messy business of the medical sub: Fossie 32 was stiff. But hey, the rules are the rules.

So what happened? Well just the other week I realised that getting lumbered with the medical sub was a bit unfair. Most of the time you would get very little game time - maybe only the last quarter - and you'd pretty much lose one of your five picks for the week. So I posted a rule change after inviting comment (nobody commented) and just to be 100% clear I said that you can't retain the medical sub for your team even if you wanted to. Fossie had McNeil in his team last week and he didn't lodge a new team so McNeil was part of Fossie's
provisional team for this week. However MC played funny buggers and "managed" (omitted) McNeil this week, meaning I had to give Fossie the sub, who was Dunkley in this case (Fossie already had the Bont).

As you all know McNeil came into the game after only about 10-15 minutes for the ill-fated Lin Jong and snagged 2 goals. If he had been in the original 22 that would have been a lazy 48 pts to Fossie. Instead he got zero for Dunks. Those 48 points would not have given Fossie the Kelvin (he would have come 4th) but it would have left him in third spot in the Pieman instead of 12th. Sorry Foss!

SayerTheCreator also picked McNeil before the side was announced but quickly changed McNeil to Jong. It was ironic that his original pick came in for the man he replaced and kicked two goals. It's a messy business whichever way we do it. I think we'll stick with the rules as they currently stand rather than keep changing them based on one unusual week's results.

As noted above, nobody got the 20 point bonus this week.

View attachment 1110567

The PIEMAN

It's getting tight at the top. Only 65 points separates first from 13th. Boyd oh Boyd still clings to a narrow lead but it's now TempletonTheRat who is challenging and only 8 points off the lead. Floridog has moved into third not far behind. dish licker moved up from 34th to 24th with this week's Kelvin win.

I'm pleased with the evenness of this year's comp, and with the unpredictability of results from week to week. I hope it's also a better experience for all who have joined in the comp this year.

View attachment 1110574
Boohoo 😭 No worries DW just taking it one week at a time :) great job.

Pieman Rd 7 Handicaps v Richmond

Provisional handicaps - subject to team selections as usual. Especially this week with a few regular goalscorers out injured.

1619401576948.png

Back