Competitions The Pieman 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

We're back again for season 11 of the Pieman!

There are no rule changes for 2022.

I reckon it went pretty well in 2021. Multiple players could still win it going into the final game of the season and that's how you like it. In fact the eventual winner was back in third spot coming into the final game of the season.

For those who have never played before it's pretty simple:
  • You pick 5 WB players each week (and it can be a totally different 5 from week to week if you want)
  • You score points when they kick a goal.

The details:
  • I publish goalkicking handicaps for each round (the higher the handicap number, the less likely he is to kick goals)
  • Each time one of your players kicks a goal you accrue points equal to that player's handicap
  • The highest total points each week wins the "Kelvin" for that round
  • The winner of the comp overall is the one who has most points accrued at the end of the year, including finals
  • If you like you can use two or even three of your five picks on the one player, e.g. 3x Bontempelli plus 2x Naughton, or 2x Ugle-Hagan + Treloar, Dunkley and Scott
  • If you have selected five different players and each of them kicks at least one goal you get a 20 point bonus.
  • There are also provisions for substitutes if any of your players are withdrawn, or if you forget to put your entry in - so you are guaranteed 5 picks each week. See the full rules below for details.
  • You can use these substitute/carryover rules to have a "set-and-forget" team for the whole season if you want to play but can't be bothered posting a new team each week.
Here's a link to last year's thread for anyone interested in how it works (or to re-live the season if you were a participant).

No need to do anything until teams are announced for the first round. You simply enter by posting your five picks in this thread.
You can also join after the first round has been completed but you don't get any points for any rounds you've missed before you joined.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIEMAN HISTORY AND PAST WINNERS

As nearly everybody would know by now the Pieman is named after the great Footscray (Bulldogs) great full forward of the 1980s Simon "The Pieman" Beasley.

He has kicked more goals for the club (575) than any other player. While Kelvin Templeton's 15 goals against St Kilda is the most in any one game Simon Beasley has the next four best game tallies (3 x 12 goals and 1 x 11). He won the club goalkicking award for 7 consecutive years from 1982 to 1988 and he won the Coleman Medal with 93 goals in H&A games in 1985 in an era of great full forwards. He went on to kick 105 goals that year because he kicked another 12 in the finals. He debuted as a mature player from WA, aged 25 and retired at the age of 32 after 154 games.

1615627081161.png

Kelvin Templeton is no less decorated but in different ways. He won the club goalkicking 5 times (1976-1980), kicked 15 in a game (1978), kicked 118 in a season (1978) the most by any Bulldog player. By the time he transferred to Melbourne late in his injury-shortened career he had kicked a club record of 494. It's still the fourth highest for the club behind Beasley, Brad Johnson and Chris Grant. Templeton was also a club captain (1982), a club best and fairest (1980) and a Brownlow Medallist (1980). He played 143 games for the Bulldogs and managed only another 34 games and 99 goals for Melbourne before retiring at the age of 28.

1615627829899.png

So we've named the weekly highest score in the Pieman competition "The Kelvin" in his honour.

The Pieman Honour Roll
Here is the list of winners since we started in 2012. You used to get a pie 'n sauce badge under your avatar if you won the Pieman but I'm not sure that happens any more. I had one for a while but somewhere along the line it disappeared. Is that something we could re-introduce mods?
Nobody has won it twice yet. Could this be the year? I think all of those people are still active on this board.

Last edited:
PIEMAN 2022 RULES

A. How to Enter

1. Anyone on BF can enter, even people from other boards (as long as they don't win!)
  2. You enter by making 5 selections of Western Bulldogs players in the Pieman 2022 thread.
  3. Those 5 selections can be five different players, or you can pick the same player as many as three times (no more than that though). So the legitimate combinations are 5x1, 2+1+1+1, 2+2+1, 3+1+1 and 3+2.
  4. Entries must be lodged in the designated Pieman thread by match start time.
  5. You may change your entry but you must do it with a new post, not by amending your original post. It’s too hard to track whether an entry is legit if I allow edits. It also makes the admin harder.
  6. Late in the season (from about Rd 16) you may choose to PM your selections to me instead of posting them here. They still need to be PM'd by match start time of course. That way your selections remain secret until after the game starts. It means that others can't match your selections to stay in front if it's neck and neck in the comp. (Not that anyone here would try to do that!)
B. How Your Score is Calculated and How Winners are Decided
  1. Players are allocated a handicap. The more likely the player is to score a goal the lower his handicap. The handicaps are revised according to form and team selections every week and published in the Pieman 2021 thread.
  2. Handicaps may be published early in the week to give you a chance to contemplate this week's entry but the handicaps will be provisional until the WB team is announced. The handicap list will be culled and handicaps finalised after the club's team selection announcement. While the aim is not to change any of the provisional handicaps I do reserve the right to adjust any handicap immediately after team selection (mainly if there are some selection surprises affecting our forwards). I'll post a message here if I do make any changes.
  3. Players listed as emergencies will also be given a handicap in case they become a late inclusion.
  4. You score Pieman points every time one of your players kicks a goal. The number of points you get per goal is equal to the player’s handicap value for that game. So for example if you have Tim English and at the end of the game (with a hypothetical handicap of 13) he has kicked 4 goals then you will get 52 points. However if you had him doubled up you get 104 points, or 156 points if you tripled up.
  5. Your weekly Pieman score is the sum of Pieman points accumulated by all 5 of your players in that game, plus any bonus points earned (see below).
  6. A bonus of 20 points is awarded if you have five different players and each of them kicks at least one goal. To be quite clear: you are NOT eligible for the bonus if your five picks include any player more than once.
  7. The entry with the most Pieman Points for the week is the winner of the Kelvin for that week.
  8. The entry with the most Pieman Points accumulated over the entire season including any finals is the winner of the Pieman for the year.
  9. If two entries have the same number of total points there is no tie-breaker for the Kelvin or the Pieman. The award is shared.
C. Anomalies: Forgotten Entries, Set & Forget Entries, Substitutes, Forgotten Handicaps
  1. If you don’t put a new entry in for any given game you automatically get your five picks from the previous game. This is called your default team. This allows you to operate your entry as a “Set&Forget” if you don’t want to post a new team every week. It also covers you if you genuinely forget to enter your team before the first bounce.
  2. If you do opt for the set-and-forget approach it is likely that the make-up of your team will gradually change over the course of the year due to the occasional need for a substitute player. If one of your original players returns to the senior side you do NOT automatically get him back in your team - you carry on with whoever the substitutes are. You will have to intervene by posting a new team if you want to reset your team. You can do this at any time during the season.
  3. If any of your default players from the previous game aren’t playing or if one or more of your picks is a late withdrawal and you don’t update your entry before match start time you get a substitute player.
  4. If one of your selected players starts the game as the medical substitute you will automatically be allocated a Pieman substitute from the selected side of 22 as described below, even if the medical substitute ends up playing substantial game time. For consistency and simplicity this is not discretionary - you do not have the option of naming or retaining the medical substitute in your team.
  5. Substitute playersare allocated from the final selected side of 22 as follows:
    • If you have selected a player multiple times (2x or 3x) and he doesn't play then you only get one player as the substitute for that player and your substitute has the same multiple. For example you don't get three different players if your 3x multiple doesn't play. You get one player as a 3x.
    • Your substitute is the player not already in your team who scored the most goals last game (previous round)
    • If there is more than one such player on the same number of goals it is the one with the greater handicap value UNLESS we are deciding between players who kicked zero goals last game, in which case it’s the one with the lowest handicap value. (Yes it sounds weird but there’s a rationale for that.)
    • If they are still equal on handicap value it is the one who has scored most goals over the season so far
    • If they remain equal after all of the above it is the one with the lowest jumper number
    • Your substitutes for any selected multiples (3x then 2x) are determined first, then the single selections.
    • If the substitute is required in Round 1 (ie where there is no prior game) or if for some reason the above method doesn’t deliver a valid substitute then it’s the player who is NOT in your team who has the lowest handicap value, and then if a further tie-breaker is required it's the one with the lower jumper number
    • We use the same technique over again in any given round for as many times as you need to add substitute players.
  6. The aim will be to publish a new handicap list each week, although once the season has settled in the weekly variations will probably only be minor. However if for any reason the handicaps aren’t published by match start time (unlikely) the players will retain the same handicaps they had in their previous senior game. If a player is playing his first game for the season AND no handicaps have been published he will be allocated a default handicap of 20.
  7. The published results are generally final but if you think there’s been an error or some other anomaly let me know and I’ll consider whether a correction is justified.
  8. If any situation arises that is not covered by these rules I’ll try to resolve it within the spirit of the competition.
  9. Similarly if it becomes apparent that a rule change or a new rule is required during the season (hopefully not!) I'll try to do that with minimal impact and within the spirit of the comp.
D. Fun
  • Be competitive but make sure you have fun! That’s what it's for.

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
….I’m sorry….what?

I’m going for the 3 peat this year :cool::cool::cool:
You still owe me a thank you Wock. If it wasn’t for me not getting out of 1st gear last season, your name would still be absent from the list of Champs posted above.

Good luck for the season ahead, no doubt the rivalry (Bucket=Doggies, Wock=GWS) will continue!!👍

You still owe me a thank you Wock. If it wasn’t for me not getting out of 1st gear last season, your name would still be absent from the list of Champs posted above.

Good luck for the season ahead, no doubt the rivalry (Bucket=Doggies, Wock=GWS) will continue!!👍

1646551531817.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going early with the handicaps because it's Round 1. I have no info on when the club will announce the teams but I reckon it'll be at least Tuesday before we know who's playing. That doesn't give us much chance to get everybody entered. It's barely enough time to even think about your selections.

So there could be a bargain or two to be found in Round 1. We don't even know who our second KPF will be. Make the most of it!

I reserve the right to change the handicaps (eg if there's some development we hadn't been expecting ... such as Naughton being a late scratching :eek:). However I'll be doing my best not to make changes. Even if there are some anomalies in the handicaps we can all see them and take advantage of them so it doesn't disadvantage anyone for the first round.

RandomDog has shaken off the embarrassment of coming last in 2021 and will be having another crack in 2022 with random selections. As a point of pride you should all be aiming to at least finish in front of RandomDog.

Anyway, time to start thinking about your entry. If you make your selections before the final team is announced you can always make a late change if some of your team aren't playing. Even if you forget to update your team you will get a sub for anyone not playing.

Just make sure any amendment is in a NEW post (not an edit to your original post) and make sure it's posted before the first bounce. Don't say you weren't told.

1646881799353.png

RANDOM TEAMS FOR ROUND 1
If anyone runs out of time to make considered selections before Rd 1 but wants to be in the comp just post here before the bounce and I'll generate a random team for you.

In fact if you have flagged anywhere in this thread (before the Rd 1 bounce) that you are definitely in for 2022 and don't submit a team in time I will generate a random team for you for Rd 1. It's a useful bit of insurance in case you forget. So think about saying "I'm in" ASAP just in case you forget or have tech troubles on Wednesday.

So far I have the definite starters as:
ossie_21
Wocka
Charlie Bucket
Dogs_R_Us

late update:
Curly5
TedDougChris

... and of course dogwatch and RandomDog.

Hopefully that will give you a few points to keep you within sledging distance of the leaders. It's a long season and there's plenty of time to catch up after Rd 1.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back