Competitions The Pieman 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEMAN KELVIN RESULT Elimination Final v Freo

The Kelvin for the final game of the year goes to Sharkey66 who had a triple JJ to come up with the hottest 150. His 4th and 5th picks also kicked goals which got him over the line ahead of Wocka who also went 3x JJ.

The highest possible score was 186 (3x JJ and 2x Bont) so 150 wasn't bad. There were no bonus points claimed this week.

1662597209232.png

The PIEMAN 2022

Congratulations to TiAn_ who held on to become the 11th Pieman winner.

In a tactical battle of secret selections TiAn_ came up with a couple of Weightmans (20) and a JJ (42) for a handy 62 points. As it turned out he would have won even with a zero because ScottyDogg bombed out with what should have been a fairly safe selection of 2x Naughton. ScottyD only needed to make up 18 points to win it outright.
The highest ranked past winners were X_box_X (3rd) and Snarls Barkley (4th). X_box_X stormed home with 118 points to snatch third spot on the podium. Congrats also to Foxman98 (seemed a likely winner late in the season), Sharkey66, chez_ferret, LordC, Dogs_R_Us and 54Bulldog16 who rounded out the top 10.

The PIEMAN!
31126.jpg

The Runner-Up
167588.jpg

Third Place
1001.jpg

After a brief moment of hope last week RandomDog again took out the wooden spoon, recording another doughnut.

1662597587953.png

So that's it folks. Another Pieman crowned. Still no dual winners after 11 seasons.

We'll be back again in 2023 I hope, although I do have some travel plans (sorry grassman75 ) so I'm not sure how I'll juggle it.

The only tweak I'm thinking of for next season is to increase the rewards for getting five different goalkickers. Maybe 50 points instead of 20. Or maybe on a percentage basis (say 40% or even 50%). However as always I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

Thanks for being part of it all in 2022!

1662598523077.jpeg

The PIEMAN 2022

In a tactical battle of secret selections TiAn_ came up with a couple of Weightmans (20) and a JJ (42) for a handy 62 points. As it turned out he would have won even with a zero because ScottyDogg bombed out with what should have been a fairly safe selection of 2x Naughton. ScottyD only needed to make up 18 points to win it outright.
The highest ranked past winners were X_box_X (3rd) and Snarls Barkley (4th). X_box_X stormed home with 118 points to snatch third spot on the podium. Congrats also to Foxman98 (seemed a likely winner late in the season), Sharkey66, chez_ferret, LordC, Dogs_R_Us and 54Bulldog16 who rounded out the top 10.

The PIEMAN!
31126.jpg

The Runner-Up
167588.jpg

Third Place
1001.jpg

After a brief moment of hope last week RandomDog again took out the wooden spoon, recording another doughnut.

View attachment 1502394

So that's it folks. Another Pieman crowned. Still no dual winners after 11 seasons.

We'll be back again in 2023 I hope, although I do have some travel plans (sorry grassman75 ) so I'm not sure how I'll juggle it.

The only tweak I'm thinking of for next season is to increase the rewards for getting five different goalkickers. Maybe 50 points instead of 20. Or maybe on a percentage basis (say 40% or even 50%). However as always I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

View attachment 1502410
Thanks DW - another fun season of Pie, even if i got more of it on my face this year!

It's definitely in a good format now - if you tweak anything, it only has to be small.

Like always, i have a suggestion - would you consider allowing someone to pick one player x 5 but cop say a 10-20% (just pulling a % out of my clacker here) reduction for doing so?

If not - then everyone should get a DW is away bonus for the weeks you aren't here and we have to wait for pie results :p

Thanks DW - another fun season of Pie, even if i got more of it on my face this year!

It's definitely in a good format now - if you tweak anything, it only has to be small.

Like always, i have a suggestion - would you consider allowing someone to pick one player x 5 but cop say a 10-20% (just pulling a % out of my clacker here) reduction for doing so?

If not - then everyone should get a DW is away bonus for the weeks you aren't here and we have to wait for pie results :p
Thanks grassman. My consolation for a miserable year was finishing 10 points ahead of you :p

I am toying with allowing more than 3x but my concern is the possibility of a result that blows everyone out of the water. Consider the following scenario:

Gardner plays half the season in defence while Keath and Jones are injured. They return in Rd 11 but Gardner is picked at CHB as usual and has his usual handicap of around 80. Everybody puts their tips in for the Bris v WB game but at the Gabba grassman notices Gardner doing warmups with the forwards and with 3 minutes to go before the bounce he switches his picks to 5x Gardner who duly kicks 3 goals. 1200 points to grassman and the Pieman season is effectively over.

No fun. Even a 20% reduction wouldn't help much in that scenario (which I'll admit is a bit of an extreme one).

I'm not against the possibility of somebody jagging a high score (like Roarke did in Rd 23) because you want to give hope to those who are trailing by a few hundred points. But not so high a score that it effectively ends the comp half way through the season. I suppose (an idea off the top of my head) I could say nobody can score more than 400 in any one week.

Anyway I'll think about it. Always appreciate your suggestions ... even those that have traces of clacker on them. :)

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The PIEMAN 2022

The PIEMAN!
31126.jpg

The Runner-Up
167588.jpg

Third Place
1001.jpg

View attachment 1502394

View attachment 1502410

I’m pretty sure this was my first year in the Pieman and I regret not getting amongst it many moons ago.

Thanks for running the comp and the entertaining posts every week. It definitely added a bit of excitement for me throughout a disappointing Dogs season.

GG ScottyDogg, it was a nervous wait this week!

Thanks grassman. My consolation for a miserable year was finishing 10 points ahead of you :p

I am toying with allowing more than 3x but my concern is the possibility of a result that blows everyone out of the water. Consider the following scenario:

Gardner plays half the season in defence while Keath and Jones are injured. They return in Rd 11 but Gardner is picked at CHB as usual and has his usual handicap of around 80. Everybody puts their tips in for the Bris v WB game but at the Gabba grassman notices Gardner doing warmups with the forwards and with 3 minutes to go before the bounce he switches his picks to 5x Gardner who duly kicks 3 goals. 1200 points to grassman and the Pieman season is effectively over.

No fun. Even a 20% reduction wouldn't help much in that scenario (which I'll admit is a bit of an extreme one).

I'm not against the possibility of somebody jagging a high score (like Roarke did in Rd 23) because you want to give hope to those who are trailing by a few hundred points. But not so high a score that it effectively ends the comp half way through the season. I suppose (an idea off the top of my head) I could say nobody can score more than 400 in any one week.

Anyway I'll think about it. Always appreciate your suggestions ... even those that have traces of clacker on them. :)
I see nothing wrong with that scenario...me winning is good :p

I see the point, and agree perhaps you could have it only as a capped amount if you took more than the x3 of any one player?

Great work again DW.

I like your idea of 50 points for 5 x 1 because as you know 5 x 1 is for chumps 😎. I think earlier in the year you mentioned it should go up 5 or 10 points every week if it doesn't go off. 👍 great idea.

Top 15 for me, had you and the Assman covered. 😀

...and as for Bucket. 💩🚽

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think everyone should have to pick 5 players, but I might be alone in this 😏

Don’t mind this idea. Or even have one player you can double up on. So the least number of players selected is 4.

Scores would be lower, but the comp wouldn’t be blown a apart with the high scores we see some weeks.

Thanks for the year too dogwatch 👍

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great work again DW.

I like your idea of 50 points for 5 x 1 because as you know 5 x 1 is for chumps 😎. I think earlier in the year you mentioned it should go up 5 or 10 points every week if it doesn't go off. 👍 great idea.

Top 15 for me, had you and the Assman covered. 😀

...and as for Bucket. 💩🚽

1662691688555.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back