Competitions The Pieman 2022

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I’m backing in the coach a game for the smalls.

West, McNeil, McComb, Weightman, and Buku

If you are feeling up for a challenge DW, how bout next year you do a pieman round where we can choose Oppo players as well. 🤣
The Majak thread would be a handy reference

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
If you are feeling up for a challenge DW, how bout next year you do a pieman round where we can choose Oppo players as well. 🤣
It would be cool to have a small amount (3) of wildcards to use per year on opposition players. Your wildcard could have a default point value to save DW having to handicap every player in the league. :p

It would be cool to have a small amount (3) of wildcards to use per year on opposition players. Your wildcard could have a default point value to save DW having to handicap every player in the league. :p
What if you don't know any oppo players? They are all faceless nonentities to me, except the well-known flogs.
Thanks. All ideas welcome. Any time not just at season's end.

My initial reaction is probably not.

It's do-able but it complicates the software and adds to weekly admin. Also I have a preference that the comp should just be about Bulldog players. And as DRU implies, it would disadvantage those who only follow the Bulldogs.

In an ideal world we might have 18 Piemen going at once, one for each club with somebody from each board being the handicapper for their club. Then - using those handicaps - you could create a global Pieman where you could pick any five or six players from the 18 sides playing that round.

Another thought is that you could substitute any measurable stat for goals. e.g. Possessions, Tackles, Hitouts, Metres Gained or One-Percenters. Or some form of Fantasy measure which tries to evaluate overall impact on the game. Wouldn't be hard but it would be instead of the Pieman (using goals scored) not in addition to it. I wouldn't want to run TWO comps!

I have in the past incorporated ideas raised by Pieman aficionados but my general preference is to keep it simple, otherwise it becomes too daunting for anyone new to join it. And in all probability too complex for me to code and to manage.

I think the current format strikes a pretty good balance.

PIEMAN RESULTS ROUND 12 v Geelong

I was in Melbourne on Friday and I took a Sydneysider to his first ever game at Marvel on Friday. The first forty minutes were embarrassing and I was glancing sideways to see if he was quietly taking off the RW&B scarf I'd lent him for the night. Was he surreptitiously folding it into his pocket? To his credit he stuck it out. And we did get better after QT so it was not a total embarrassment.

Eight goalkickers. Ten goals. Not much to get enthused about but enough for three of our Pieman teams to crack 100 points.

Carryover Teams and Pieman Substitutes

There were 19 carryover teams this week, and for the first time all year no subs were required.

The KELVIN

It was a deadheat this week between two identical teams. LordC and Shacf501 both had 3x Weightman and 2x English for a score of 116. TempletonTheRat 's carryover team came close to getting the 20 point bonus but he had to settle for third place with 103 points. The nearest after that was VL3OJ with 81 points.

1654521912203.png

The PIEMAN

Another respectable placing (5th) meant that TiAn_ has ever so slightly extended his season lead to 140 points. With so many low scores there wasn't much drama in the top 10. X_box_X slipped from 6th to 8th and Floridog slipped out of the top 10 to be replaced by Mofra . And that was pretty much it.

Everyone gets a week off to think about their game plan for the rest of the season. Will the goals just take care of themselves? Are 1x5 selections really "just for chumps"? What impact will the return of Josh Bruce have?

1654523069123.png

Pieman Player of the Week

Libba and Bailey Dale topped the player rankings this week. They have been infrequent goalkickers this year but we know they are two of the best shots at goal in the side. Libba from set shots or from a pack, Dale on the run from the edge of the 50. And didn't we need them to step up!

The highest possible score this week was 218 ... if you had taken 3x Libba and 2x Dale.

1654523392824.png

Pieman Player of the Year

Alex Keath is still the unlikely leader. Naughton has snuck back into second place.

1654523487726.png

Last edited:
How bout this DW, instead of bonus points, how bout you deduct points for players having goals kicked on them...or even better, award points for the goals the defenders get kicked on them. I know one defender I'd be picking every week 😜
Lol, no I don’t think so.
You’ve been spending too much time in the bush. Too much time to think …

Handicaps Round 14 v GWS

1655374998103.png

ROUND 14 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants
Saturday 18 June, 7.25pm AEST
GIANTS Stadium

B:
Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tim O’Brien
HB: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Dale
C: Bailey Williams, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott
HF: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Tom Liberatore
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
R: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar

Int: Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Robbie McComb, Josh Schache

Emer: Mitch Wallis, Lachlan McNeil, Buku Khamis, Hayden Crozier

In: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Jason Johanissen, Josh Schache
Out: Smith (suspension), Khamis (omitted), McNeil (omitted), Wallis (medisub)

Pieman Substitutes

If required, the Pieman substitute order is:

Liberatore​
Weightman​
Dale​
English​
Bontempelli​

54Bulldog16

Premium Platinum
Sep 3, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m going an over 190cm philosophy given team structure this week.

Bont,
Dunkley,
Naughton,
Schache
JUH

Thanks DW

Back