Competitions The Pieman 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

THE PIEMAN 2023 WRAP-UP

Ending one of BF's worst kept secrets I have pleasure in announcing that Curly5 is the Pieman for season 2023.

Wait ... should that be Piewoman? Naah, what would Beaser think of that! Let's just stick with "the Pieman" ... in a gender-neutral sort of way. You OK with that Curly?

Anyway new-age concerns aside, congratulations to Curly5 who has been trying to crack this one for a while. What other challenges remain, I wonder?

In second place was debutant chez_ferret only 30 points behind. He looked the likely winner until Curly5 stormed home over the last couple of rounds like the Dogs at Kardinia Park. And rounding out the top three was long time Pieman participant Fossie 32 . There was a tight finish for the next 11 places with only 76 points the difference between theAthenian in 4th and Mofra in 14th.

RandomDog once again took out the wooden spoon, saving Grassman75's blushes.

The amusing backstory of the final round was that both Curly and chez_f submitted private team selections so that neither could pull any swifties by seeing what the other had selected ... and they went and picked identical teams! This meant that Curly5 was always going to stay ahead no matter who kicked the goals.
The only question was whether we had any more games left in our season. And of course GWS saw to that one. :(

1693270508688.png

The KELVIN

The Kelvin winner for the final round of the season was Brian Perrin - I'm pretty sure it's his first-ever Kelvin. Well done to BP - an impressive 204 points but alas not enough to shift him out of the 40s in the overall rankings. TedDougChris (151) and ScragCity (144) came second and third. That whole trifecta came from rollover teams. In fact you have to go down to seventh-placed Shacf501 (124) to find the best of the specially selected R24 teams. The rest of the top 10 were rollover teams. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere ... :think:

Overall there were 25 rollover teams (out of 46) and there were six Pieman substitutes needed in Rd 24. In each case they were for Macrae and all of them got Rory Lobb. The sub recipients were ScragCity who had 3x Lobb (126) and Floridog, Mike_ and Mofra who each had 1x Lobb (42).

Average score was 79.61 and the median was 82.

1693274113464.png

These were the most popular picks for Round 24. Toby McLean was the out and out favourite among those who put in teams but after all the rollover teams were added in it was Cody Weightman who was most popular:

1693275072149.png

Pieman Player of the Week

Rory Lobb was once again the PPotW, sharing it this week with Adz.
Best possible score was a Chump of Lobb, Treloar, English, Vandermeer and Poulter which would have been worth 266 including a bonus of 76.
Best possible non-Chump score was taking Lobb and Treloar as 3+2. That would have been worth 210. So Brian Perrin's 204 was pretty close.

1693275182107.png

Pieman Player of the Year

The Pieman Player of the Year is Jamarra Ugle-Hagan but only narrowly from Aaron Naughton and Cody Weightman. There were 7 players within a range of 70 points at the top. As the handicapper I'm pretty pleased with that. In a perfectly managed season of handicapping all players who kicked goals would end up on the same score. That of course is never going to happen but a tight cluster in the top 10 is a pretty good result.

1693275455833.png

PPotY is all just academic of course.
Of more general interest is the club's goalkicking list for the season. So here it is:

1693275852446.png

That's all for 2023

Thanks everyone who entered. A bit of fun in a frustrating and often unhappy season.
See you for another whirl next year!

After many tries, success! Thanks once again, dogwatch , for the comp, and congrats also to chez_ferret and Fossie 32

Cherry Pie Cat GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Sarah Burke Queen GIF by asianhistorymonth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE PIEMAN 2023 WRAP-UP

Ending one of BF's worst kept secrets I have pleasure in announcing that Curly5 is the Pieman for season 2023.

Wait ... should that be Piewoman? Naah, what would Beaser think of that! Let's just stick with "the Pieman" ... in a gender-neutral sort of way. You OK with that Curly?

Anyway new-age concerns aside, congratulations to Curly5 who has been trying to crack this one for a while. What other challenges remain, I wonder?

In second place was debutant chez_ferret only 30 points behind. He looked the likely winner until Curly5 stormed home over the last couple of rounds like the Dogs at Kardinia Park. And rounding out the top three was long time Pieman participant Fossie 32 . There was a tight finish for the next 11 places with only 76 points the difference between theAthenian in 4th and Mofra in 14th.

RandomDog once again took out the wooden spoon, saving Grassman75's blushes.

The amusing backstory of the final round was that both Curly and chez_f submitted private team selections so that neither could pull any swifties by seeing what the other had selected ... and they went and picked identical teams! This meant that Curly5 was always going to stay ahead no matter who kicked the goals.
The only question was whether we had any more games left in our season. And of course GWS saw to that one. :(

View attachment 1789103

The KELVIN

The Kelvin winner for the final round of the season was Brian Perrin - I'm pretty sure it's his first-ever Kelvin. Well done to BP - an impressive 204 points but alas not enough to shift him out of the 40s in the overall rankings. TedDougChris (151) and ScragCity (144) came second and third. That whole trifecta came from rollover teams. In fact you have to go down to seventh-placed Shacf501 (124) to find the best of the specially selected R24 teams. The rest of the top 10 were rollover teams. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere ... :think:

Overall there were 25 rollover teams (out of 46) and there were six Pieman substitutes needed in Rd 24. In each case they were for Macrae and all of them got Rory Lobb. The sub recipients were ScragCity who had 3x Lobb (126) and Floridog, Mike_ and Mofra who each had 1x Lobb (42).

Average score was 79.61 and the median was 82.

View attachment 1789161

These were the most popular picks for Round 24. Toby McLean was the out and out favourite among those who put in teams but after all the rollover teams were added in it was Cody Weightman who was most popular:

View attachment 1789174

Pieman Player of the Week

Rory Lobb was once again the PPotW, sharing it this week with Adz.
Best possible score was a Chump of Lobb, Treloar, English, Vandermeer and Poulter which would have been worth 266 including a bonus of 76.
Best possible non-Chump score was taking Lobb and Treloar as 3+2. That would have been worth 210. So Brian Perrin's 204 was pretty close.

View attachment 1789177

Pieman Player of the Year

The Pieman Player of the Year is Jamarra Ugle-Hagan but only narrowly from Aaron Naughton and Cody Weightman. There were 7 players within a range of 70 points at the top. As the handicapper I'm pretty pleased with that. In a perfectly managed season of handicapping all players who kicked goals would end up on the same score. That of course is never going to happen but a tight cluster in the top 10 is a pretty good result.

View attachment 1789180

PPotY is all just academic of course.
Of more general interest is the club's goalkicking list for the season. So here it is:

View attachment 1789188

That's all for 2023

Thanks everyone who entered. A bit of fun in a frustrating and often unhappy season.
See you for another whirl next year!

Thanks for all your time and effort. Always good fun!

Congrats Curly nyuk nyuk nyuk and Chez and thank you Dogwatch for running this amazing competition for us again Can’t believe I made the EIGHT!
You must have a good coach ;)

Yes, well done once again mate! have really enjoyed the comp since i started a couple of years ago.

Very much appreciate the time and effort you put in!

Thanks as always for the comp, dogwatch . I struggled to the lofty heights of 37th* but managed my first Kelvin along the way, so that’s something 😉

Congratulations to Curly5 and the other place getters.

*Edit: make that 38th... :$

Last edited:
Enjoyed my first foray into the tactical warfare that is the Pieman, dogwatch.
Like bevo I will come back with new strategies that will blow the competition out of the water:). Thought I had a big chance to win best first year player but alas ended up with donuts. The crown looks good on Curly5 but tell her not to get too comfortable with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back