Competitions The Pieman 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Mrw GIF

I am in.

Pieman Handicaps
Rd 1 2024 vs Melbourne, MCG, 1pm Sunday 17 March

Teams are yet to be announced of course, but as it's the start of a new season I thought I'd release the Round 1 handicaps a bit early so you can begin thinking about who you might like as your starting five.

There's a caveat though. I reserve the right to change these handicaps after the final team of 23 is officially announced. I'll let you know if I do and you will have the opportunity to change your picks if you like.

The colour coding below is only my guess as to who will be in the selected side, who will be emergencies and who will be looking on. I will re-publish a shorter handicap list when we know the final 23.

No need to rush your picks. You can post them right up to Sunday 1pm.
Just remember
  • all picks or changes to picks must be in by the match starting time
  • any changes must be in a new post - edits to old posts will NOT be accepted
  • you aren't allowed to pick the nominated sub in your team - he's off limits (it's just too problematical)

1710335183107.png

In thanks DW

Lobb
McNeil
English
Sanders
Harmes

and a question re the sub

The sub is now named out of the team of 23 and no longer from the emergency list. As this is not known until 1 hour before kickoff - if we have the sub player in our 5 will he be substituted if we don't post a correction?

In thanks DW

Lobb
McNeil
English
Sanders
Harmes

and a question re the sub

The sub is now named out of the team of 23 and no longer from the emergency list. As this is not known until 1 hour before kickoff - if we have the sub player in our 5 will he be substituted if we don't post a correction?
Welcome back TTR!
A good question and I'd love to give a short succinct answer, but alas you're getting the unexpurgated one:

We know that subs could in theory play almost a whole game but typically they only get about 10-30% of game time (and sometimes no game time at all) so mostly they aren't a very attractive proposition for a Pieman team.

Ideally you should be able to pick any of the 23, including the sub if you so wish. It's on you.

The problem is that, based on 2023 form, around 30-40% of entries will be rollover teams. Most of these entrants would be pretty unhappy if one of their rollover players from last week became the sub this week and they were stuck with him. Yes, they could jump in and change their team but the whole point of having a rollover (set-and-forget) team is that you don't have to exercise any vigilance like that from week to week.

So I made a decision that rollover teams wouldn't have the WB sub (23rd man). Instead they would get the Pieman sub, i.e. somebody who is actually in the starting 22.

It's slightly different if you're one of those who likes to pick a fresh team every week. Why shouldn't you be allowed to pick a player who is sub? My problem with that is it becomes too confusing. You effectively have different rules for different entrants. It's just easier to say the sub is off limits to all Pieman teams. Mostly people don't want the sub or anyone who is on the fringes of selection anyway so generally it's not a problem.

tl;dr:
You may not include the WB sub in your Pieman team. If you have picked a team of five and one of them is named WB sub at the 11th hour you will get the Pieman sub in place of that player.

Here, pinched from Dogs_R_Us in another thread, is the selected squad for Sunday.

Three of the interchange players to come out and one other to be named sub on Sunday.

AFL Squad | Round 1

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Sunday, 17 March, 1:00pm AEDT
MCG, Melbourne • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Bailey Dale
C: James Harmes, Tom Liberatore, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Rory Lobb, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
INT: Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Oskar Baker, Jason Johannisen, James O’Donnell, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Williams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back