Competitions The Pieman 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the cut down version - the 23. Still one of those bottom 5 to come out as the sub of course.

1710483885682.png

Baker, Darcy and O'Donnell missed the cut. I don't think anybody picked them in their Pieman teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

32 entries so far. Pretty good.
Welcome (or for several of you, welcome back) to fargy, manutd/dogs, charcoalchicken, Buckingham and weltschmerz.

Here's a reminder to a couple who said a week or two ago that they would be in for 2024 but haven't posted a team yet: Bulldog rick Charlie Bucket

And also to two former Pieman winners jaxie1 and Snarls Barkley

Sadly it appears another former Pieman winner StringyDog is no longer on BF :( ... unless of course he has changed names.

I'll also post a reminder to the remaining contestants from last year who haven't entered yet, just in case they might want to have another crack at it.

OK here's a shout out to the remaining Pieman players from last year who haven't lobbed a team in yet. You've got just under 14 hours to get your team in. I realise you might be strategically holding off until the sub is announced, but just in case you'd forgotten ...

Bont2Bruce
Brian Perrin
Doggies_13
Jeff 1975
Kermit

AFL substitutes

The AFL's substitute rules have clearly been introduced and progressively modified to make life hard for Pieman administrators the world over.

Prior to this year, clubs were required to name a starting 22 (18 on the ground and four on the bench) plus four emergencies. An hour before the game we learned which of those 4 emergencies was the WB sub. This was not a serious problem because nobody would want to pick a named emergency in their Pieman team.

This year however the AFL has changed it so that clubs have to name a 23 by the normal selection deadline. Plus only 3 emergencies. An hour before the first bounce one of those 23 players is named the side's substitute. So now it could be any one of the 23 players who becomes the WB substitute.

There's little doubt that at some stage during the season this is going to cause us some grief because some player in someone's Pieman team is going to end up being the WB emergency. And the rules state that you can't have the nominated WB sub in your Pieman team.

So the Pieman sub becomes important ...

The Pieman Sub (not to be confused with the AFL/WB sub!)

The Pieman sub is there to make sure you don't start the game with fewer than five players. This could be due to late withdrawals or because you have a rollover team from the previous round and one of them got omitted, or because one of your players is named the WB sub (23rd man).

We have a set of rules defining who will be the Pieman sub each week. Because it can't be anyone who is already in your Pieman team we end up with a priority list of players for Pieman sub. I work through that list in order until I find one who's not already in your Pieman team. And that's the one you are allocated.

If you really want the detail of it, the full rules for Pieman subs can be found here but generally it's easier just to wait until I post the list, as below, or until I post the weekly Pieman results.

tl, dr:
Pieman Sub for Round 1

Here's the priority order for the Pieman Sub this week:

Ugle-Hagan
Naughton
Weightman
Lobb
West

I’m in. Lovely intro post this year dw.
R1: Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman, Harmes, English.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back