Competitions The Pieman 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEMAN RESULTS Round 1 2024

Thanks everyone who has joined the comp! We have a healthy field of 40 this year (so far).

If you forgot to join or have only just discovered the Pieman it's not too late. Just post a request here and I will generate a retrospective random team for you for Round 1. It keeps you in the hunt without having lost too much ground on the early leaders. The only catch is you can't retrospectively win the Kelvin (highest score) for Round 1. In fact your score will max out at 90% of the Round 1 winning score.

Anyway on with the business...

It was a miserable outing to start the season. Started well. Finished badly. Only 9 goals so nobody has got a really decisive lead yet. But one of the aims of the Pieman is to brighten up even the darkest of losses so hopefully there's some joy in this week's results for someone.

I've crunched the numbers and I've done some manual checking. It all looks OK but in Rd 1 of a new season there's always the slight chance of a system bug. So if you spot anything that doesn't look right let me know and I'll check it out.

Substitutes
There was only 1 Pieman sub required. That was for Weltschmerz who picked Caleb Daniel (the WB sub) so she got Ugle-Hagan instead because you can't have the WB sub in your Pieman team. This was serendipitous because Marra kicked 2 goals ... she would have been scoreless without the Pieman sub!

Most Popular Picks
1710681809607.png

The KELVIN
The Kelvin winner for Round 1 was chez_ferret who cheekily put his entry in before the teams were even announced. There might be a moral in there somewhere. chez_ferret was also the only one to get a Chump (all five team members kicking a goal) so he got a bonus of 27 points which was easily enough to land the Kelvin.

Sharkey66 (71) and Wocka (70) joined the ferret on the Round 1 podium and it was a pretty steady procession after that. The average score was 45.33 and the median was 47.5

Being Round 1 it means that chez_ferret is also our Pieman leader for the season.

1710682493308.png

Pieman Player of the Week

Lachie Bramble is the surprise PPotW for Rd 1. And another club debutant, Harvey Gallagher, came in second.

1710682775902.png

The highest possible score was 151 which could have been attained with a Chump comprising Bramble, Gallagher, Bont, West and Ugle-Hagan. That would have given you 108 base points plus a 40% Chump bonus of 43.

The highest possible non-Chump score was 146 comprising 3x Bramble and 2x Gallagher.

Hey dogwatch forgot about this last week, put me in thanks

Good to see you're still around Stringy. I thought you'd disappeared from the board.

Here's your randomly generated team.

Weightman (13)
Vandermeer (0)
English (0)
Williams (0)
JJ (0)

Not world-shattering I'm afraid but it gets you on the board with 13 points, and the pack isn't that far in front.

I'll include you in the season table next time it's posted.

Hi dogwatch , what is the situation if we have the player that’s subbed out, just bad luck and wear it?
I’m fine with that by the way.
Yes.
When the 22 players run through the banner all Pieman teams are on an equal footing. Whatever happens after that is the luck of the game.

So whether the substitution is due to injury, concussion, fatigue, tactics or whatever, it's just bad luck.

PIEMAN HANDICAPS ROUND 2

Well I'm as perplexed as the rest of you with that team. What to make of the extended bench? Do any of them come in to the 22 and if so what position will they play? Or is it just the same side as last week except for the suspended Harmes coming out and one inclusion to replace him?

Could we beat our lowest ever score of 1.8 14 against Geelong in 1965? Or at least our second lowest which was 3.3 21 in 1964 against Hawthorn. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting a scoring bonanza on Sunday. At least not from us.

Here is the Thursday night team (the full 26):

Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast Suns
Sunday, 24 March, 1:00pm AEDT
Mars Stadium, Ballarat • Wadawurrung
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham Vandermeer
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT: Oskar Baker, Caleb Daniel, Taylor Duryea, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Dale, Sam Darcy, Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter

In: Baker, Poulter, Darcy, Duryea
Out: Harmes (suspension)

And here are the handicaps. Go for it Piemaneers!

1711023561252.png

Pieman Substitute Rd 2

The order of Pieman substitutes for Round 2 is as follows. If any of your chosen Pieman team isn't in the final 22 your sub is the one highest in this list who is not already in your team:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan​
Lachie Bramble​
Harvey Gallagher​
Marcus Bontempelli​
Rhylee West​
EDIT Friday night:​
Rory Lobb (omitted from the 23)​
Cody Weightman (added to the Pieman sub list)​

Last edited:
PIEMAN HANDICAPS ROUND 2

Well I'm as perplexed as the rest of you with that team. What to make of the extended bench? Do any of them come in to the 22 and if so what position will they play? Or is it just the same side as last week except for the suspended Harmes coming out and one inclusion to replace him?

Could we beat our lowest ever score of 1.8 14 against Geelong in 1965? Or at least our second lowest which was 3.3 21 in 1964 against Hawthorn. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting a scoring bonanza on Sunday. At least not from us.

Here is the Thursday night team (the full 26):

Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast Suns
Sunday, 24 March, 1:00pm AEDT
Mars Stadium, Ballarat • Wadawurrung
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
HB: Ed Richards, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham Vandermeer
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT: Oskar Baker, Caleb Daniel, Taylor Duryea, Lachlan McNeil, Bailey Dale, Sam Darcy, Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter

In: Baker, Poulter, Darcy, Duryea
Out: Harmes (suspension)

And here are the handicaps. Go for it Piemaneers!

View attachment 1935212
English x 3 Sanders x 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back