The Pies deserve all the credit... give it to them here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you for the compliments, but as has been stated repeatedly, Collingwood’s game plan is not like Richmond’s. Refer to the stats for reference.

Beg to differ. Pies game based around high intensity, pressure, defensive forward game plan. You have a key marking forward (who played an unbelievable game last night) and a bunch of small forwards who pressure like hell. I cant be bothered looking at the stats but imagine key stats such as pressure and scores from defensive forward acts would align.

Beg to differ. Pies game based around high intensity, pressure, defensive forward game plan. You have a key marking forward (who played an unbelievable game last night) and a bunch of small forwards who pressure like hell. I cant be bothered looking at the stats but imagine key stats such as pressure and scores from defensive forward acts would align.
Pretty sure all clubs try and play with high intensity, apply pressure and have strong defensive structures in their forward line. That’s not exclusive to Richmond and/or Collingwood.

We average over 400 possessions a game, you average 365. We are 1st for marks, you are 15th. We like to handball more, thus the higher possession numbers.

We are more of a clearance/inside team. 1st in clearances, you guys are 12th.

You guys are 3rd for tackles inside 50, we are 11th.

They really are different game plans.

So you keep making incorrect assertions and I am the one who should go away?

You had a soft draw: fact.
You of course will argue that you have had more then one good win for the season (although you struggle to name them...).

I thought Bulldogs were lucky winning the flags from only 4 weeks of good play. Collingwood might do it from 2! But it's all skill right?
Just wow sunshine see you at the G.

As you should be. From a purely interstate perspective I am hardly upset that Richmond is out (couldn't happen to a more suited group of campagainers). Most people would agree they have been the better team this year especially at the MCG.

So assuming we get over the Demons (I think we will) Collingwood would be a better opponent for us then Richmond because I think Richmond on average play considerably better then you, especially at the MCG.

Hardly think any of this is extremely controversial.
FKIN really???

ERRRMMMM timewarp - check the prelim final scoreline sunshine.

Pretty sure all clubs try and play with high intensity, apply pressure and have strong defensive structures in their forward line. That’s not exclusive to Richmond and/or Collingwood.

We average over 400 possessions a game, you average 365. We are 1st for marks, you are 15th. We like to handball more, thus the higher possession numbers.

We are more of a clearance/inside team. 1st in clearances, you guys are 12th.

You guys are 3rd for tackles inside 50, we are 11th.

They really are different game plans.

Mate don't waste your time. Someone who thinks we play the same game plan as Richmond has NFI.

More Richmond than Richmond.

Took Richmond's blueprint and enhanced it tonight. Richmond were poor in the first half, but Collingwood were great the entire game. Full kudos goes to them.
Not sure how you could possibly say this given the two teams actually set up significantly differently, with Collingwood concentrating on winning clearances and Richmond concentrating on defensive setup and conceding the clearances all year. But I guess we can pretend that the pies copied Richmond’s pressure game even though Collingwood has tried to play that way since 2012 if it makes you feel better.

I hate Collingwood as much as the next non-Pies supporter but yes, they were magnificent last night. That pressure level was off the scale. My dislike of Buckley has finally mellowed. He got karma for deserting the Bears but I think he’s done his time and deserves a flag as a coach. Still enjoy seeing Ed’s head explode though.
FKIN LOL.
Deserting the bears???
He declared before the draft that he only wanted to play for the Pies, yet produced astonishing performances for the bears.
He then left for the club his heart has always been set on.
Too many people swallow the bears balloon juice about the whole affair.
They knew when they drafted him it was only until the AFL enforced drafting was over that he was gone.
And they have been whining about it ever since.

Yes. Mihocek is a 193cm small forward.

The woods played superb footy in the first half and held the line when they needed to. Surprised, but thought it was a real finals performance. Well done buckles, survived heavy pressure Deserve to win it. Go Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so we copied richmond who themselves copied collingwoods 2010 game plan that Bucks was an assistant coach of... ok.

They sure do deserve all the credit.
Footy is a great spectacle when Collingwood plays- they are brilliant, simply brilliant.
Have always had a soft spot for the Pies since the 70's so that helps.
Their current list I rate as the deepest and best, given the outs who if fit, would walk into top 22 of every other team.
Cox, Grundy, Sidebottom, De Goey, Varcoe, Buckley, Goldsack, Treloar, there are so many excellent stories within that group, I really hope they go all the way.
I suspect this GF will definitely be a closer one than most. GO PIES

Well done to the Pies, before the season I didn’t think they could get this far. As well as the Eagles, they’ve proven a lot of people wrong.
I - like most Pie fans (who are honest with themselves) spent the entire preseason desperately trying to imagine scenarios where we might sneak into the eight by the time finals come around.

By the time the hawks had destroyed us in round 1 we were all distraught and flailing around looking for scapegoats.

Then the injuries hit - and kept on piling up - as had happened in previous years. But this year it was different, those previous years where we had to blood kids unready for the AFL had given us a reserve of experience. And those young men stood up, with pride - and made us a better team.

Most of this years success is down to improvement of all those young men and I'm so pleased to see them with a chance at the big dance.

so we copied richmond who themselves copied collingwoods 2010 game plan that Bucks was an assistant coach of... ok.

Mate I'm not saying anyone copied anyone. And I'm certainly not talking the Pies down. What a game by them...smashed us in almost all contests. The game plans are similar (albeit a couple of significant differences).

I think it's fair enough to say that the modern game, in a very general sense, involves maximum pressure, particuarly in the forward line but really all over the ground. Give your opponent zero breathing room. It came to notice through the likes of St Kilda in 2009 and Collingwood in 2010, but no one really "came up with it", it's just the way the game evolved with each team modifying and building on the good ideas of other teams.

Phrases like "out richmonding Richmond" are just convenient and lazy shorthand for media commentators who like buzzwords and catchy turns of phrase.

Malthouse's high pressure defensive tactics which really started in 2009 was revolutionary. It was the first team I'd seen defend exactly like that, with so much tackling and gut running.

Ground pressure in the forward line is a Richmond thing ? That's how doggies won the flag, that's what Collingwood was doing in 2010

Hahahahaha, I know... I’ve been laughing at all the Tigers that believe Hardwick pioneered this.

Mick Malthouse executed it, but apparently Bucks was responsible for introducing it when he was a forward coach in 2010...

Like most, didn't think Collingwood had a chance to make finals at start of season. That would be giving the media too much credit for their influence on thoughts.

Saw them against us and we led at half time thinking we had played pretty well. Collingwood came out after half time and went to a whole new level.

Thought the winner of the grand final hinged on the winner of the Richmond/Hawthorn game. WRONG.

Having watched the WCE/Collingwood game, I thought Collingwood got a lot more out of the game than WCE would have. WCE have won both games in Perth. Collingwood took it to them and DEES were deplorable. Collingwood handled GWS comfortably then smashed Richmond. Totally different story at the "G".

Collingwood only have to bring something close to what they took to Perth and against Richmond and it's a 40 point win in the granny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back