The Pies make a Meagre Off Field Profit after a Successful Season Onfield

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clubs like carlton and essendon will continue to have pokies as a revenue stream.
Has anyone have any idea if we are going to go in anothrer line of buisiness or find another revenue stream?
or are we going to fall behind?

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Clubs like carlton and essendon will continue to have pokies as a revenue stream.
Has anyone have any idea if we are going to go in anothrer line of buisiness or find another revenue stream?

Bitcoin! Great time to jump on! :drunk:

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does it make you feel better that by Collingwood selling their licenses literally no one in the community has been helped? And in actual fact instead of the money going to Collingwood who do work in the community it will now go to some random millionaire's bank account...
You're one hundred percent right Kappa.
Having said that, I would prefer that the club I support is not profiting from the misery of others.
It does nothing to solve or change the situation but at least we can say that our club is not contributing to it.

It’s a good question, and one that we can reasonably assume will be answered at the AGM.

It’s not as if our club has a storied investment history (Magpieland, Pubs debacle)

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
upload_2018-12-14_21-42-48.png

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
When the 18 Annual report comes out check out the Consolidated Statement of Financial Position. Under assets listed you should find "cash and cash equivalents" first. If thats anything significantly less than $10 million I would be surprised.

Cash and cash equivalents came out at

Cash and cash equivalents came out at

The only conclusion that we can come to from this is that our club is on a razors edge, and could crumble at any moment :drunk:

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only conclusion that we can come to from this is that our club is on a razors edge, and could crumble at any moment :drunk:

Yes and no. We have about 6 million in trade creditors. Most of the cash and cash equivalents are largely what would be classified as trade working capital in effect. If we had free cash we would probably have paid down the 1.6 million of debt facility we have drawn down on.

So no, we arent on a razors edge, but nor are we taking baths in 5 dollar bills while nubile fillies massage our fetlocks.

Ok, the last may be my particular fantasy, but still.

Yes and no. We have about 6 million in trade creditors. Most of the cash and cash equivalents are largely what would be classified as trade working capital in effect. If we had free cash we would probably have paid down the 1.6 million of debt facility we have drawn down on.

So no, we arent on a razors edge, but nor are we taking baths in 5 dollar bills while nubile fillies massage our fetlocks.

So concluding we are not on a razor edge, and in reasonable shape going forward l take it.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

When you consider how we would have been tracking from July-May of the 17-18 financial year that’s an amazing result! Unless we s**t the bed early in 2019 the back end of 2018 will push next year’s result up toward the 2013 figures, IMO.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
When you consider how we would have been tracking from July-May of the 17-18 financial year that’s an amazing result! Unless we s**t the bed early in 2019 the back end of 2018 will push next year’s result up toward the 2013 figures, IMO.

You would hope so. Makes you shudder to think what it would have been if 2018 looked like 2017. Probably needed a lower range on the Y axis.

Will be very interested to see the number for 2019 but I'm more cautious. The discounting on upgrades pre-Christmas is not generally an indicator of strong growth in overall sales year-on-year, and could bite them in future.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

I haven’t had a chance to look yet, but what was the balance of our receivables? Without knowing the exact nature of it that debt facility is the same as the one that’s been on the balance sheet for a few years and I get the feeling there was a time where the club ran low on cash! I assume we have very favourable terms on it.

You would hope so. Makes you shudder to think what it would have been if 2018 looked like 2017. Probably needed a lower range on the Y axis.

Will be very interested to see the number for 2019 but I'm more cautious. The discounting on upgrades pre-Christmas is not generally an indicator of strong growth in overall sales year-on-year, and could bite them in future.

I wasn’t aware of that and it could be an indicator of softer than expected figures. The counter is when we prepared the 18-19 budget? I’m tipping it was finalised early-mid May and around that time we were still on the edge in terms of on-field performance.

From memory it was around then that we announced we were out of the pokies so perhaps they adjusted in the first quarter of 2019 once things were clearly upward trending. Since then the numbers may not have reflected what they’d budgeted for.

Edit: I open Insta 30 seconds after posting this and what’s the first add to pop up. Maynard telling me to upgrade my membership for free for a limited time only :huh:

Last edited:

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven’t had a chance to look yet, but what was the balance of our receivables? Without knowing the exact nature of it that debt facility is the same as the one that’s been on the balance sheet for a few years and I get the feeling there was a time where the club ran low on cash! I assume we have very favourable terms on it.

Trade receivables was 2.8 payables 6.4

We also have a significant unearned income line of about 5 million.

As I keep telling people, yes we have 9 million in cash, but we need to keep a fair float because we have immediate cash commitments too. Its like saying "yay I have 10000 in the bank!!! I'm rich!!!" when you have a credit card payment of 7000 due that month.

I assume the loan facility is on interbank plus a small margin like 2% so pretty benign. It expires in April 2019 so we either renegotiate or pay.

You auto-renew on the upgraded package for 2020 unless you opt out, maybe short term loss for a bigger ongoing commitment? They also didn't seem to know much about it yesterday and I had to push, so I'm not sure what the uptake has been like.

What investment was “Magpieland”?

The club was buying up a whole bunch of realestate around Victoria Park with the intention of turning it into some kind of theme park.

Was that like a Collingwood version of Disneyland?

Yep, exactly.

What investment was “Magpieland”? Was that like a Collingwood version of Disneyland?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the Collingwood website regarding Alan McAllister;

"Ambitiously, and some would say bizarrely, he dreamed of ‘Maggieland’, which was meant to be Collingwood’s answer to Graceland. Under his direction, the club bought up properties near the Victoria Park ground which was to designed to one day include a precinct that had an indoor sports area, a theatre, a boutique hotel, a new social club, a museum, and even a restaurant chain."

Sounds like the 1980's version of the Westpac Centre...

Back