Opinion The players you've been wrong about.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Nathan Murphy was going to be jet after I saw him play his first 2 games....
Pfft!

I hope you get to change your mind. I rate him. Just needs to get his body right and with a new coach, I hope they really work out his possie.

No one can question this mark....

I thought Buckley was going to be a gun. Turned out he was spud.

Bloody Simon Buckley.

I hope you get to change your mind. I rate him. Just needs to get his body right and with a new coach, I hope they really work out his possie.

No one can question this mark....

He always looks like he is going to mark it and then drops it at AFL level. Be nice if he can fix that.

holy s**t some of you guys are old, don't you have better things to do??? hahaha.

I was wrong about Chris Mayne, big time. Thought he couldn't play footy. What a turnaround!

I was right about Adam Treloar. We trade him out, next year he's best afield for the losing team in a Grand Final!

That game for Victoria when he suffered a serious injury showcased Fraser's star-potential to my eyes.

He was born 20 years ahead of his time and would have been a weapon in any modern team today.

Unfortunately, for reasons you've covered well he didn't realise his potential.

I remember during his first year at the club reading an article that mentioned how impressed Buckley was with "Joshua's" commitment and dedication.

It's good to have him back.
Fraser was the forerunner of the modern ruckman, and recognised as so at the time.
He was crippled physically by being, firstly unprotected by the rules and secondly totally unsupported by a second ruck.
He put in the hard yards to get the Pies to 2010 and then fell away at the last hurdle, his spot usurped to some extent by Jolly, not that I begrudge Jolly.
I would have been great if Fraser could have shared in the glory for all the hard work he put in, but then you can name a half dozen who should have been there.

Fraser was the forerunner of the modern ruckman, and recognised as so at the time.
He was crippled physically by being, firstly unprotected by the rules and secondly totally unsupported by a second ruck.
He put in the hard yards to get the Pies to 2010 and then fell away at the last hurdle, his spot usurped to some extent by Jolly, not that I begrudge Jolly.
I would have been great if Fraser could have shared in the glory for all the hard work he put in, but then you can name a half dozen who should have been there.
Fair call on Fraser. He was somewhat ahead of his time. He would have been a great CHF or like in another era. For my mind he was sacrificed to a degree in making him a Ruckman - and first Ruck, no less - so early in his career. There is little doubt in my mind that had he been nurtured and protected a little more earlier in his career he would have been better for it and been able to contribute more in his later years. Perhaps to a point where he too would be wearing a premiership medallion.

You're being too hard on yourself about Swan mate. There was nothing about the way he played that screamed future Brownlow medalist. His commitment to the football life was also in question.

Pendles? Not as flash as Daisy early on but I assume most thought he'd become very good. :)
I think many of us thought Sier could follow a similar career trajectory to Swanny, but he turned out more dud than stud.

I think many of us thought Sier could follow a similar career trajectory to Swanny, but he turned out more dud than stud.

Apparently, Swan's public persona belied how hard he actuallyworked at training. He hated the meetings etc and turned up hungover on occasion but he loved his footy and was a competitive bastard.

Sier must not have had the same fire in the belly.

He put in a lot of hard work on the ground, but not enough in the gym.

To be honest I tried to see that, but saw not very much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently, Swan's public persona belied how hard he actuallyworked at training. He hated the meetings etc and turned up hungover on occasion but he loved his footy and was a competitive bastard.

Sier must not have had the same fire in the belly.
Too much KFC in the belly.

I tend to back the position of the club in that anyone who gets to pull on the Black and White guernsey must have something so I tend not to be too critical of any player. Having said that, I was never a fan of Tom Langdon. He always seemed far too laconic, almost to the point of dis-interest, for me and I would often call out his performances. However, his performance on Grand Final day in 2018 was simply outstanding. He displayed courage and determination that I had not (or not been able to) seen and he earned my respect from that moment on. I was wrong about him for the longest time, I'm embarrassed to admit.

I’m the same, couldn’t understand why he kept getting games despite so many brain fades. I still say he had more bad moments than good over his career.

He played a great game in an undermanned backline that day. If we won he would’ve got the Norm Smith.

But there was a couple moments that were bad Langdon.

Couple minutes left in the first qtr he had a pretty simple moment to rush a behind, he second guessed whether it would give away a free, fumbled it and they kicked a goal. Chipped away at our fast start.

The other was in the lead up to the Sheed goal. It was the Ryan mark on the wing, he went for the mark instead of punch, not the worst considering he marked just about everything that day.

Wrong:
Similar to others, I recall thinking during some of Swannie's early matches, that he'd never make it. Certainly some humble pie which prevents me from judging players so early nowadays

I thought the second coming of Beams meant a 2019 flag was a fait accompli

Damian Houlihan, Aaron James and Heath Shephard (a couple already been mentioned by others) also come to mind.

Nat Fyfe (for similar reasons to sr36's assessment of Hird)

Right:
Paul Williams and Scott Burns
Keeffe, Ben Sinclair and Tom Phillips - for obvious reasons
(admittedly, not setting the bar high, but I get a lot more wrong than I do right!!!)

I recall watching a Teal Cup match and a young Matt Lloyd took a screamer on the wing. Hoped at the time that he'd have pulled on the black-and-white stripes

Edit: I'd written Adam Houlihan rather than Damian. Blasphemy, but probably illustrates my point!!!

Last edited:

He was playing so well just as that knee injury hit and he never really recovered.

I think it was more Leigh Brown that took his spot. With his knee problems being a fwd/ruck was a better role for him.

Fair call on Fraser. He was somewhat ahead of his time. He would have been a great CHF or like in another era. For my mind he was sacrificed to a degree in making him a Ruckman - and first Ruck, no less - so early in his career. There is little doubt in my mind that had he been nurtured and protected a little more earlier in his career he would have been better for it and been able to contribute more in his later years. Perhaps to a point where he too would be wearing a premiership medallion.
I really do not think that Fraser was a good enough mark to play as a gun forward. Other talls like Salmon and Peter Moore for eg have played ruck and forward successfully but Josh was not a good contested mark.

I thought O'Bree would dominate opposition midfields for years, after his early top 3 B&F as a youngen. Didnt happen... slow, no penetration
I thought Nathan Brown was the perfect size for a defender, and quick. Too many deficiencies.
Tom Davidson looked like a star in the making. Injuries, hit the nightclub circuit.
Shaz I had v high hopes for, smart, junior videos, Pendles labelled him 'the one'. Sad
Freeman I had high hopes for, after watching him absolutely torch the field in short and long distance running drills at training.
Robbie Ahmat started on fire, faded
Damien Adkins started on fire, faded
Josh Fraser dominated CHF as a young guy against Richmond one day. Never close to a B&F or AA
Brett Chalmers I was v excited about. Fail
Ryan Lonie looked like Francis Burke in his first few games.... mirage
Marty Clarke I thought would play 200 games for Collingwood... messy
Josh Thomas dominated early training sessions, never kicked on
Aaron James was talked up as the next Dermie... decided to become the next Wayne Carey, off the field only
Bradley Plain started off looking electric in patches... went on to live up to his name
Adrian McAdam I couldnt wait to see play recapture his magic....................... still waiting. Ditto Mitchell, Hardy

Heath Shaw trained as a token forward pocket in his first year, and looked average. Had no idea he would become one of the clubs best ever small defenders
Dane Swan trained as a token forward pocket in his first year, and looked quick. Had no idea he would become one of the clubs best ever midfielders
Alan Toovey couldnt kick, always slipped over... turned into a cult figure
Chris Mayne I wanted gone... turned it around, and became a reliable regular at one point
Nick Maxwell looked v average at start of his career. Great mental aptitude, leadership obviously, and underrated skills
Ben Johnson ran like a crab, was sure his helicopter kicks would decapitate someone one day. Instead became a vital cog, and saw just how good he was after dominating the seconds in the midfield. & running (& desire) actually turned out to be his strength.........

Last edited:
Quite a few people saying Swan and I’m one of them.

His first 20 odd games were terrible, couldn’t understand why he kept getting gifted games. He turned out ok.
I think after the Yze massacre most thought that was it. It certainly was a threshold moment. Something flicked on after that. A lot of coaches would have cut him then and there

Simon Prestigiacomo - thought he was too skinny and too slow.

IF ever there was an example of why you shouldnt make big statements about players its Presti. He was absolutely hopeless in the 90s. Looked slow, reactive and unco. Everyone beat him even no better than handy types like Nathan Thompson and Kent Kingsely just gave him a bath. If you'd told me at the end of 1999 that he would give us 10 years of great service, would have a great track record in going 1 on 1 with the likes of Brown, Tredrea and Fev and become the best full back Ive seen in Black and White, Id have laughed in your face.

So my false positive: Luke Mullins. i saw a VFL game and fell in love, one of the best VFL games Ive seen from one of ours. He wasn't athletic but he could play football/ Won lots of the footy inside as he had lovely clean hands and didnt fumble. His disposal was a joy to watch, beautifully weighted kicks and handpasses always to someone in a better position. Thought we had a player of genuine class. I read an article in the Age years after he was delisted that his nickname was pulse, because nothing could raise it. He was so laidback and laconic he was practically comatose. That lack of intensity proved fatal to his football.

False negative: Leigh Brown. When we recruited him I proclaimed him a dud's dud and a hack's hack.Vividly remember a game early in his career against Freo when Taz took him to the cleaners, Brown looked so slow. But for us, he added a real toughness and played a more than useful role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back