Opinion The players you've been wrong about.

If you only saw Watto as a forward yeah you would have thought....whatthe?
And Keays was still good enough to play on but was cleared because he liked a drink too much
Young Shep had the goods, he was just lost in the big smoke....

You didn't get them all wrong did you.
Yep massive billy fan.

1eon

Debutant
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
False positives: Danny Stanley, Mark McGough, Brad Dick, Chad Rintoul, Tom Hunter, Matt Scharenberg, Andrew Williams.

False negatives: Alan Toovey, Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown.

Brad Dick was a legend, I refuse to hear a bad word about him.

DialMforMagro

Debutant
Dec 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've played for the Megaz for the last 17 years, these days we play at Victoria Park and everytime we run out on the day its pure childhood fantasy stuff. One time those dirty Rockdogs inserted Rupert Betheras in the game after halftime, claiming as a graffiti artist he could play for them. He was a couple of years out of the AFL and needless to say he dominated, not that anyone actually knew who he was. Took me a quarter to recognise myself

In about 1997 I played for the MegaHertz against the RockDogs, who counted Jimmy Manson among their ranks. He spent the whole game screaming like a madman. I thought at first he was doing it for the crowds, but in the end concluded he is a looney (in a good way).

I tackled him when he was trying to bust away from a pack and ended up getting a free. But I can't say I really impeded his progress, just held onto his waist as he dragged me a long like a horse dragging a rider caught in a stirrup.

Brad Dick was a legend, I refuse to hear a bad word about him.

No bad words about Brad, another gun tragically lost to injury.

Jim Levenstein

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was cheering when we swapped big bad Molloy for Mal Michael. Good 1st season, then tapered away and never of him again whilst Michael won 3 flags.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It took me an embarrassingly long time to open my eyes to the type of person Dayne Beams is.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Athos didn't make it because he was a shy Greek lad that didn't have the inner drive to work as hard as Lethal wanted him to work.
He was pretty silky though eh?

I always thought Chris Dalkin could have been a player. Beautiful skills and great vision off a wing or half back, I think we lost a lot of those talented kids during that mid eighties period of great flux within the club and Dalkin was a country boy who probably thought he could have more fun playing footy in the bush than he was having at CFC during the Collingwood/Richmond wars of the 80's.
Athos had a kick which I saw him kick a few goals with in his kitbag that I've never seen anyone else do. I tried to learn how to do it and couldn't without falling over.. Running to the right boundary line, he'd hold the ball to the left of his body, swing his leg across to pull off a drop punt that swing a fair way left to right.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Athos had a kick which I saw him kick a few goals with in his kitbag that I've never seen anyone else do. I tried to learn how to do it and couldn't without falling over.. Running to the right boundary line, he'd hold the ball to the left of his body, swing his leg across to pull off a drop punt that swing a fair way left to right.
If I am thinking of the same kick, I think Daics pulled that off too, shaped up like a snap, but span and flew fairly straightish. He could tumble them (I.e. spinning forward) and punt them (spinning backwards) and flat punt them too.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've played for the Megaz for the last 17 years, these days we play at Victoria Park and everytime we run out on the day its pure childhood fantasy stuff. One time those dirty Rockdogs inserted Rupert Betheras in the game after halftime, claiming as a graffiti artist he could play for them. He was a couple of years out of the AFL and needless to say he dominated, not that anyone actually knew who he was. Took me a quarter to recognise myself
My one appearance was at Punt Rd. One of the more memorable parts of the day was sharing a changeroom with the Sacred Heart Mission team who played the curtain raiser. A number of our players who didn't use the valuables bag discovered at halftime that this was a bad choice.

Sinski

Draftee
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Everton
I was wrong about Peter Moore. I've been wrong about pleny actually, but Moore was probably the big one. I remember seeing Moore's first game in the Reserves and my brother and I laughing at him. The long-legged, ungainly looking blonde running around and not getting near it, had us amused for hours. In those days I got to the footy at about 8am and queued to get into the ground. Got to see every young player every week. I still don't understand how Stephen Clifford wasn't a star - he starred every week in the ressies in the early 70s and was still a kid when he debuted. I think he was 17 and I had high hopes for him. He never really had the impact I'd predicted, but played quite a few games from memory. Moore of course became a star.
My old man used to say the same about Moore. He said he was the worst player he had seen in the ressies. Then the week after he was in the seniors.

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
One I thought was going to turn into a gun for us was Sharrod Wellingham, especially after 2011 Queens Birthday where he had close to 40 touches and won the medal.

Still a good footballer but I had really high hopes - thought he would be a superstar.

Last edited:
One I thought was going to turn into a gun for us, especially after 2011 Queens Birthday where he had close to 40 touches and won the medal.

Still a good footballer but I had really high hopes - thought he would be a superstar.

You talking about Wellingham?

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
False positives: Danny Stanley, Mark McGough, Brad Dick, Chad Rintoul, Tom Hunter, Matt Scharenberg, Andrew Williams.

False negatives: Alan Toovey, Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown.

Great post. Poor Scharenberg!! Geez I thought he showed alot and I remember just being totally gutted when he did his 2nd kneee.

Stanley was the type of player we see time and time again, and that is someone that could who kill it in the 2's but just never make it in the seniors.

McCough - geez not many players can get BOG at Anzac Day and disappear. I guess he is playing somewhere still?

Damien Adkins. (sigh)

Jason Cloke!! If he didn't get reported we would have won 2002. What happened? Probably the prototype for Maxwell coming off his man and coming up as the spoiler.

Richard Cole!!! (geez what a talent)

On Leigh Brown - at the start I thought we wouldn't be able to achieve anything him being in the side .... but then he developed into the tall utility that made it impossible to win the flag without him. (IMO Darcy Cameron should be our tall ulility that we have missed since LB. Not the same player of course, but same role)

The OG Steak Knives - Medhurst!!!! Geez another player that turned it around and proved us all wrong. I remember going to down to see training one day and he took an absolutley screamer on poor Scotty Burn's head. I was maybe 25 metres away from it.

Mal Michael!!

Julian Rowe, Damien Adkins, Mark McCough :straining:

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
I thought Ben Wilson and Jon ballantyne would be good.

Thought Brad Rowe would be useless...turned out one of my fav players
saw Wilson kick 5 in the ressies one day & looked very classy doing so and thought this guy was really going to be a player but no.

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
When I first saw James Manson in a reserves game out at VFL Park I thought he was playing as a part of some elaborate practical joke. He ran like a new born calf and kicked like a kid who had never held a ball of any kind in his life. I was appalled. And then he clunked a few marks. I still thought he was no hope and simply filling in until a decent young big man came along.
I recall having similar thoughts on Micky Gayfer who looked about as limited as it's possible to look on a VFL/AFL arena, yet he becomes a 150 game Premiership player.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I had to check the thread to see if BringouttheGimp had posted in this thread. AS if Gimp could ever be wrong about anything.
Silly of me.Carry on. :p

Come to think of it and that re.. I don't think I ever have.

I even foreshadowed a torp outside 50 by Pendlebury.

Am I a *en great or what re.

Back