Opinion The players you've been wrong about.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to add Fatui Attata to that list but for the opposite reasons. I still remember seeing this huge Islander dude at Victoria Park playing in the reserves, I thought he was going to be a star. As a 15yo kid standing on beer cans and yelling out "Go Woodsman" in the deepest voice I could muster at that age and all the crowd around me agreeing with me. Anyway, Fatui looked huge to a kid like me and I waited and waited and watched him but he never made it. Along with Brent Tuckey, they both still feature in the odd dream for me as I still wait for them to develop into the big KF that I had hoped for.

Alan Toovey - nuff said

I also forgot to mention, I thought Brad Dick would become a goal kicking machine alongside Neon Leon but alas due to his knee reconstruction we never saw him at his best.

I also thought Shannon Cox had a tremendous amount of football smarts, sadly his application and attitude to playing league footy was nowhere near his talent.

The most compelling evidence I could produce requires that you watch a Daisy highlight reel. Pendles couldn't do what he did when on fire. Thomas was a more spectacular and dynamic player:

:oops: Wow!! I'd forgotten how freakish he could be.

I also forgot to mention, I thought Brad Dick would become a goal kicking machine alongside Neon Leon but alas due to his knee reconstruction we never saw him at his best.

I also thought Shannon Cox had a tremendous amount of football smarts, sadly his application and attitude to playing league footy was nowhere near his talent.

Brad had the fire in the belly, lived it and breathed it. The kid had such a high ceiling but as we've said before, the injury gods are the most heartless of cruel bastards.

Nah not 2010-11. Pendles had left Daisy in his wake by then even though they were Daisys best years. Those 2 years Pendles 45 Brownlow votes to 14, Pendles 2nd B&F, 1st B&F, Daisy 3rd and 6th. Pendles AA x2, Daisy x1. Pendles Norm Smith x1.

Daisy was good, Pendles was ascending to Collingwood legend.

My initial rating was thinking Daisy was going to be better year 1 and 2

Pendles was more productive and better, but Daisy used to turn the tide. When the team was looking flat - Thomas would turn the intensity dial up to 11, do something awesome and lift the whole team.

Another I thought would be an absolute star in early 2000 was Damien Adkins.

He was such a spark forward of the footy, he had pace, goal smarts and loved to celebrate when he kicked one.

Sadly, a combination of osteitis pubis and other players coming in and going past him didn't help him either.

That also reminded me of how aside from the 2002 and 2003 grand finals, Ryan Lonie's first 3-4 years at Collingwood were super. He came straight in and just looked at home. He ended up being superseded by blokes like H Shaw and Thomas as his career went on though but my goodness his daring runs were great to watch and he kicked the football beautifully.

Another I thought would be an absolute star in early 2000 was Damien Adkins.

He was such a spark forward of the footy, he had pace, goal smarts and loved to celebrate when he kicked one.

Sadly, a combination of osteitis pubis and other players coming in and going past him didn't help him either.

That also reminded me of how aside from the 2002 and 2003 grand finals, Ryan Lonie's first 3-4 years at Collingwood were super. He came straight in and just looked at home. He ended up being superseded by blokes like H Shaw and Thomas as his career went on though but my goodness his daring runs were great to watch and he kicked the football beautifully.
Lonie was good in the 2002 granny. The less said about 2003 the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back