Other The Pokémon Randomiser Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Inspired by the Nuzlocke challenge which a few have undertaken (which I recommend having a read of here, and also a play of yourself), and after doing a two Pokémon challenge myself recently on Fire Red, I decided I'd make a personalised and tough challenge to add to the game in scrambling and randomising the available Pokémon to lock my party in, ideally to play through once for every generation.

The rules are that I list every Pokédex number available in that game minus legendaries, including one starter, and that party is set in stone; I can't catch any other Pokémon nor evolve it further (if I'm forced to use Oddish, I can't them evolve it to Gloom or Vileplume).

I'm also considering adding that when a Pokémon faints, it 'dies' - I can no longer use it (i.e. I would have to randomise another Pokémon to not run the risk of losing my entire party). I'm not entirely convinced on this so if anyone wants to give a yay or nay to that, it'd be much appreciated. Decided that I can't use a healing move in a battle whatsoever - it's Pokémon centres or bust.
Rules:
  • I cannot use any healing items whatsoever and must rely on Pokémon centers for healing (i.e. potions, antidotes, revives, leftovers, berries etc. aren't allowed). Moves such as Recover and Wish aren't items and are okay.
  • I cannot switch Pokémon mid-battle. I can mix and match outside of battle but once in it, it's locked in until the lead Pokémon faints, after which I have the freedom to choose any other once again.
I'll keep track of s**t here in the OP and I'll keep this as updated as possible. :thumbsu:

Generation I (Pokémon Red)
Rich (BB code):
Pokémon    Lvl  CAt  Kls  Fts  Str
Wartortle  23   5    97   -    97
Pidgeotto  19   3    70   2    62
Beedrill   18   3    100  14   12

To come: Flareon, Dodrio, Snorlax
Current area: Route 25
Badges: one

The first member of the party, #008, is Wartortle.

008Wartortle.png

The second member of the party, #136, is Flareon.

180px-136Flareon.png

The third member of the party, #85, is Dodrio.

220px-085Dodrio.png

The fourth member of the party, #15, is Beedrill.

145px-015Beedrill.png

The fifth member of the party, #143, is Snorlax.

220px-143Snorlax.png

The sixth member of the party, #17, is Pidgeotto.

017Pidgeotto.png

Don't mind those. :thumbsu:

Luckily you got some that you can get at the start of the game. This sounds like it will be super hard.
Yeah, I was quite worried I'd get a few like Tangela or Krabby that you can't really access early and aren't great either, so what I've got's good.

Anyway, Squirtle's here. No relations to the club supported in regards to the nickname.

GrJa2.png

4tN5Z.png

I've been watching a bit of Whose Line is it Anyway? recently.

4qJtO.png

Caught at level 3, and an absolutely complete barrage of expletives could be posted to describe how I managed to level it up to 7 but I'll just brag about my Weedle defeating 13 Pokémon with Poison Sting. (And being defeated by 7...)

Grinding away through the Viridian Forest and Tank manages to survive a bout of poison.

uvU6o.png

Level 15 with the same defeat that brought up a half-ton of them (without fainting). Water Gun's now available and the first gym battle's real close.

S06Rs.png

Should have named Squirtle Carlton
At least there's no reference to the club I support...

Anyway, went straight to the Pewter gym, and you know how it is. Start with Water Pokémon, use Water Gun, sweep both trainer and Brock.

NPitM.png

And level 16 means...

f5QfI.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The damage a Raticate can do. Cale somehow battled through a Hyper Fang and toppled it for just under 400 XP.

SJE74.png

With one Pokémon down and another on 1 HP, it was up to one, and Wartortle took it to the Rockets, annihilating each one of them with its ferocious Water Gun and gaining two levels in the process.

9xn1G.png

Picking my random and never-to-be-used fossil (I can't remember which), I left the cave, healed the party and wandered aimlessly north to search for trainers and wild battles to level up. The trainer I found? Well, s**t. I kinda forgot about him.

ZIclO.png

However, all it took was one slightly over-leveled Wartortle and four poor choices from Gary (Abra? Rattata? C'maahn. I thought this was meant to be tough) and before I knew it I'd swept the entire party, even his water-resistant Bulbasaur.

75I4i.png

That Raticate is a little prick.
It really was. Beedrill nearly had it, too - poisoned it on the first move and had a Fury Attack not missed, it probably would have defeated it...which would have been huge for a fairly weak Pokémon.

It really was. Beedrill nearly had it, too - poisoned it on the first move and had a Fury Attack not missed, it probably would have defeated it...which would have been huge for a fairly weak Pokémon.
Yeah, I lost a Beedrill to it as well thanks to a missed Fury Attack. Almost took out my Ivysaur too. Lucky you're not playing with the "once they're dead, they're dead" rule.

A couple of trainers up the Nugget Bridge and Pidgey had cracked level 18. The result...

RGywU.png

...Cale put on some muscle. Finally.

After making it through the bridge and defeating that pissweak example of a Team Rocket member, I swapped Beedrill in and ran to a nice patch of grass. Despite losing all PP and struggling to kill any Oddish that came past (and not a single Abra, ******* Teleport), we had our first Pokémon to crack 100 defeats.

It's also leading the way for 100 faints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back