Opinion The Politics of Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

India is going to be brutal. They know it too they were so desperate to keep it out. Did a decent job of it to.

Unfortunately decent won't be good enough.
I dont know even how they are supposed to stop it.

they are sending everyone home which is going to take it to those villages with them if they dont already have it.

I dont know even how they are supposed to stop it.

they are sending everyone home which is going to take it to those villages with them if they dont already have it.

There really isn't a way.

Honestly can see a 10s of thousands of dead in India easily.

High population density, limited medical facilities.

Africa is coming into its wet season soon too...

I think tens of thousands is their very best case scenario

You cant play the social isolation game when your people cant physically distance themselves that much

No doubt China will feel terrible if India takes a massive gut shot from Corona.

I have a couple of Indian mates from some online capers and I would say they are definitely feeling increasing unease about what could happen there.

Sweden seem to be coping without the BS measures we are seeing.

Our children will be paying off the debt for years to come.

India is going to be brutal. They know it too they were so desperate to keep it out. Did a decent job of it to.

Unfortunately decent won't be good enough.
Indonesia will be similar, although as an nation with hundreds of islands they have an advantage there in terms of restricting some travel but it won't help much.

Someone I'm close to there is basically going into hiding.

Haha - https://www.scmp.com/news/world/eur...n-get-its-coronavirus-strategy-horribly-wrong

Im still keen to see what happens.....interesting the different approaches taken.

I suspect that without a vaccine, we are just postponing the inevitable.

Devils advocate says the worlds population needs a bit of a cull. But I dont want to open that can of worms.

While it's incredibly ghoulish, I'm thrilled to have such a large and varied sample space of data to choose from down the road after the pandemic runs it's course. We will know for sure what was a good idea and what wasn't.

As an ex soldier can quite easily reconcile my political leanings with australias long term strategic needs.

i dont think china is benign - i do think in this instance hastie is on point

how we balance the fact that china is our largest trading partner yet also a hegemonic threat is going to be intriguing given the exigencies created by covid especially given china buying up medical supplies and shipping them home.

if i were the chinese leadership id be making sure they ship the same amount back so we see a give and take to the relationship that will ease what will be a fraught relationship as the rest of the world turns on them over covid.

interesting times ahead.
We need to continue to work on trade with India and Indonesia. Both, but especially India have protectionist leanings but we must diversify. Our lack of trade with Indonesia has been disgraceful really. 260m+ potential customers wasted on our doorstep.

Lets gettem!!!
Round up them horses, form a posse...!!
Yes, how was that vision of thousands of Indians/workers returning to their villages, jostling together on trains and buses and crowded streets? Sh*t's gonna happen!
I know you probably hate the guy but Andrew Hastie is very outspoken when it comes to the CCP and their BS. He is not alone though a few Labor people recognize there is a problem and we need a bipartisan approach to China.
He's Ok is Hastie, outspoken on drugs and Chinese (the CCP)...almost think he's in the wrong party? ((;
He's one of the only ones who will speak up about China and call it a spade!
There's too much kowtowing (it's actually a Chinese root word, didn't know that before?) to the Chinese, they've got us by the family jewels!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to continue to work on trade with India and Indonesia. Both, but especially India have protectionist leanings but we must diversify. Our lack of trade with Indonesia has been disgraceful really. 260m+ potential customers wasted on our doorstep.
A lot of things we haven't engaged with re Indonesia, it's been a testy relationship over the decades.
Like China, it's not a level playing field, endemic corruption in govnmnt, law, police, military and business, copyright infringements etc..but we need them to be on side, can't afford to have them as enemies just across the ditch...and they know it, with a huge army.

A lot of things we haven't engaged with re Indonesia, it's been a testy relationship over the decades.
Like China, it's not a level playing field, endemic corruption in govnmnt, law, police, military and business, copyright infringements etc..but we need them to be on side, can't afford to have them as enemies just across the ditch...and they know it, with a huge army.
They dont just know it - their generals talk about when not if. Their military hate us - unsurprising since every time we meet we rub their nose in their own s**t.

They dont just know it - their generals talk about when not if. Their military hate us - unsurprising since every time we meet we rub their nose in their own s**t.
Lived there for 15 yrs..military is everywhere, they have the numbers of course, but we have better hardware/technology and allies. Indo doesn't have many allies. Did some research, surprisingly this came up...

"Indonesia's military is generally not considered to have the capability to invade Australia. Public opinion surveys in Indonesia have indicated that Australia is its fourth most "warmly regarded" country, with significant support for closer ties in education, health, trade, and democracy.."

"The Australian Government will provide an estimated $375.7 million in total ODA to Indonesia in 2015-16, including an estimated $323 million in bilateral funding managed by DFAT. Australia and Indonesia's broad partnership encompasses political, security, trade, economic and development cooperation.."

"The President of Indonesia is the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces. ... The Indonesian armed forces are voluntary. The active military strength is 395,500 with available manpower fit for military service of males aged between 16 and 49 is 75,000,000, with a further 4,500,000 new suitable for service annually..."

Lived there for 15 yrs..military is everywhere, they have the numbers of course, but we have better hardware/technology and allies. Indo doesn't have many allies. Did some research, surprisingly this came up...

"Indonesia's military is generally not considered to have the capability to invade Australia. Public opinion surveys in Indonesia have indicated that Australia is its fourth most "warmly regarded" country, with significant support for closer ties in education, health, trade, and democracy.."

"The Australian Government will provide an estimated $375.7 million in total ODA to Indonesia in 2015-16, including an estimated $323 million in bilateral funding managed by DFAT. Australia and Indonesia's broad partnership encompasses political, security, trade, economic and development cooperation.."

"The President of Indonesia is the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces. ... The Indonesian armed forces are voluntary. The active military strength is 395,500 with available manpower fit for military service of males aged between 16 and 49 is 75,000,000, with a further 4,500,000 new suitable for service annually..."
Theres a reason australian warships still have guns rather than straight missiles - theres no point knocking a wooden boat down with a 50000 dollar missile when a $30 shell will do the trick

You're right. They have next to no offensive air force and a really crappy old navy. No way they could invade any of their neighbours.

Masurians am i right Kranky.

You're right. They have next to no offensive air force and a really crappy old navy. No way they could invade any of their neighbours.
They have
5 Sukhoi SU 27's (Russia)
11 Sukhoi SU 30's (Russia). That's their cream.
24 Hawk 200 (UK)
33 F-16 Falcons (USA)
15 Kai-T50's Golden Eagle (Sth. Korea)
Most of those are supersonic attack aircraft, so there's a bit of clout there. Mostly Top-Gun era styles.
The Sukhoi's are the more advanced and recent versions of that style aircraft and not to be sneezed at.

We have superior aircraft, about 100 to their 88. I daresay both airforces have a lot in maintenance, not airworthy.
We have 18 F35A's (super advanced air sh*t), 24 FA 18 Super Hornets, 54 FA 18 Hornets (top gun style) and probably better trained pilots.
They have a massive army to call on, but we have a huge area of hostile terrain to mess with their heads...not to mention an army of mad max meth-heads to unleash, vicious drop-bears, attack-kangaroos, dingoes, crocs and snakes?

Last edited:
Interesting about the Tiger getting covid at the Bronx zoo, seems to be no concern about it spreading.
On that subject the Tiger King, Joe Exotic from the netflix series, is being held in isolation at his prison, due to an outbreak there...

Also a bit early maybe, but begs the question..?

Last edited:
Also a bit early maybe, but begs the question..?

I think it’s time the govt start telling us how many weeks of single digit new cases we need to see before slowly lifting the restrictions. Businesses would like time to plan how and whether to re-open.
Parents would like to know whether they are looking at homeschooling for the whole of term 2, or the kids might go back mid term.

I think this can be safely communicated to the population without everyone dropping their guard and infection rates skyrocketing.

There is a lot of concern in Indonesia about China, particularly with South China Sea stuff. Hence why our on/off friendship will become increasingly "on" from their point of view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back