The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

She is correct though, SA is totally bereft of anywhere that sells a local wine!
That’s because most pubs are owned by the big supermarkets and they sell their own crap with labels that make it look like it’s come from little boutique wineries. I went out for tea last week and the pub was pouring wine from the soft drink dispenser!!

Snuck in a pint of the port local last week when I was picking up my PORT hat. Very nice beverage that one.

That’s because most pubs are owned by the big supermarkets and they sell their own crap with labels that make it look like it’s come from little boutique wineries. I went out for tea last week and the pub was pouring wine from the soft drink dispenser!!

Snuck in a pint of the port local last week when I was picking up my PORT hat. Very nice beverage that one.

A list of who makes what wine labels:
https://www.therealreview.com/who-makes-my-wine/

I'll start a new thread. Couldn't find the old one. Took my Mrs and Grandsons there today for lunch. The highlight was I let the boys run on Alberton Oval.

The food was terrible. I never complain about my club. I had a fisherman basket. It was cooked as if they tried to kill the fish twenty times over. The greasiast burnt fish I've had in my life. Scallops were hot tasteless lava rocks. Mrs had a Chicken Parmi that a Blue Heeler would catch as a frisbee.

The salad bar was ****ed. Veg cold. All in all shocking experience. Barry Curtain was there. Shoving Chinese down his throat. Not ******* good.

Meld it with another thread. I don't care. I made my point I couldn't find one. The Port Club food is s...t. May aswell well not have a club if we're dishing this crap up. I travel with my kids to give them a good experience. They and me get crap.

Positive I pumped some dollars into my club. The Pirate Life Stout on tap is very good. Had my usual 2 $5.50 Carlton Draughts. We need a new Chef.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start a new thread. Couldn't find the old one. Took my Mrs and Grandsons there today for lunch. The highlight was I let the boys run on Alberton Oval.

The food was terrible. I never complain about my club. I had a fisherman basket. It was cooked as if they tried to kill the fish twenty times over. The greasiast burnt fish I've had in my life. Scallops were hot tasteless lava rocks. Mrs had a Chicken Parmi that a Blue Heeler would catch as a frisbee.

The salad bar was f’ed. Veg cold. All in all shocking experience. Barry Curtain was there. Shoving Chinese down his throat. Not ******* good.
gfde.jpg

With the current wave of hospitality entrepreneurs building great brands on the back of simple food with good ingredients, I'm surprised that we haven't managed to take this and turn it into something worth going down to.

Gordon's formula:
— simplify the menu
— focus on local and fresh ingredients
— have a signature dish
— make simple cosmetic changes to signify change
— run a promotion that encourages people to test the product
— bask in the glory of 'wow this is better than it was'
— piss off before the wheels fall off again

With the current wave of hospitality entrepreneurs building great brands on the back of simple food with good ingredients, I'm surprised that we haven't managed to take this and turn it into something worth going down to.

They really hit upon something good with the American-style faire at one point, but between cost-cutting and the boomers complaining they went back to desiccated schnitties and other cliched pub food you wouldn’t feed your dog.

the boomers complaining they went back to desiccated schnitties and other cliched pub food you wouldn’t feed your dog.

I recall someone telling me years ago that the biggest problem with the Port Club is not the Port Club but the people that go to the Port Club.

Looking after you heartland is good but sometimes you need to lead the heartland to current day standards.

I recall someone telling me years ago that the biggest problem with the Port Club is not the Port Club but the people that go to the Port Club.

The groundswell against what turned out to be the wildly successful New Era caps - “too American”, “my 56yo dad wouldn’t wear that” - still baffles me.

As if the club was simultaneously going to stop stocking every alternative design and push for legislation to make them compulsory for every middle-aged & geriatric Port fan.

The club should speak to Luke Saturno at Gilbert Street Hotel. He's a rabid Port man and runs one of the best pubs in Adelaide.
Their chicken wings are legendary.

Surely the club can sort out something like chicken wings without stuffing it up.
Fat boges from Pennington & Rosewater would be knocking your door down.

Chicken Wings
Burgers & Hot Dogs
Fish & Chips
Nuggs for the kiddies

Do a roast of the day on Thursday's only (pensioners will start swarming from 11am)
Do a $15 pizza night on Tuesday nights (coincide with players hanging out at the Port Store)

Away Game Day specials that are quick to order, cook and bring out.

Run special days with local food providers: The Port Admiral, Low&Slow, Sotos, etc

The club should speak to Luke Saturno at Gilbert Street Hotel. He's a rabid Port man and runs one of the best pubs in Adelaide.

It really is one of the great joints in Adelaide, tremendous shout. They balance pretty standard pub fare with other food options if you're into something a bit different. Between that and the Kings Head, it's a blessed little area of town.

It really is one of the great joints in Adelaide, tremendous shout. They balance pretty standard pub fare with other food options if you're into something a bit different. Between that and the Kings Head, it's a blessed little area of town.

Yeah they get the balance right.

Throw in the odd band crammed into that corner by the bar and it has a great vibe.

Surely the club can sort out something like chicken wings without stuffing it up.
Fat boges from Pennington & Rosewater would be knocking your door down.

Chicken Wings
Burgers & Hot Dogs
Fish & Chips
Nuggs for the kiddies

Do a roast of the day on Thursday's only (pensioners will start swarming from 11am)
Do a $15 pizza night on Tuesday nights (coincide with players hanging out at the Port Store)

Away Game Day specials that are quick to order, cook and bring out.

Run special days with local food providers: The Port Admiral, Low&Slow, Sotos, etc

Can you run the port club plz i just got a boner from all of this

The Exeter on Rundle Street has recently started doing a Pub Rueben for $12 that goes with their classic Pub Steak Sandwich.

It’s not going to win any foodie awards for presentation, but * me it’s a good quick meal to go with a beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back