Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Remove this Banner Ad

We no longer rely on the experienced players to get the team motivated/across the line, it is the kids driving the standards.

Going to make it easier to transition guys like Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Daisy etc out of the team when their time is up.
This is absolutely huge.

St Kilda's problem over the past 2-3 seasons has always been that they relied too much on Saint Nick (with a side of Montagna and Stevens) to get the job done during their rebuild. For us, the players we rely on are Cripps, Simpson, Jones, Weitering, Thomas, Curnow in that order (Docherty replacing Simpson when he was playing :(). We do not rely on Murphy anymore; we are inches away from not relying on Thomas, and Curnow is not vital in the same way as the others are. If the Walsh's, the SPS's, the O'Brien's, the Dow's, the McKay's, and the Gov's of the team can become the driving force within it (and Gov's been threatening to take the team and pull them along with him a few times this year) then we will not be subject to this issue at all.

Our 'build could be an example of how to cut hard, to select the right players, and to grow talent and leadership from within the right way.

We no longer rely on the experienced players to get the team motivated/across the line, it is the kids driving the standards.

Going to make it easier to transition guys like Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Daisy etc out of the team when their time is up.

Underestimated part of what is happening at the moment. Great point

Underestimated I agree but shouldn't be a surprise. The handover of captaincy was the moment to remember. Thats when they took the steering wheel.
Reckon the handover would have happened the year before if Doc hadn't done his knee in the preseason.

Allowed Cripps to step up in his absence and now we have two really good captaincy options.

The kids have been driving it for a while now, they were overshadowed by having an incumbent captain. Those shackles have been released so now they can own the team and the standards for real, not just by actions.

Reckon the handover would have happened the year before if Doc hadn't done his knee in the preseason.

Allowed Cripps to step up in his absence and now we have two really good captaincy options.

The kids have been driving it for a while now, they were overshadowed by having an incumbent captain. Those shackles have been released so now they can own the team and the standards for real, not just by actions.
And they share!!!!!!! You didn't

Had a bit of a cleanup. Folks, remember the purpose of this thread. Try and embrace the sense of community. No need to post every reflex reaction you have.

Thanks

Really looking forward to the next 4 weeks

GCS, WB, Hawks & North

Get back Charlie Kruezer Cuningham Williamson Macreadie TDK Kennedy Jack Lang and the VFL side. I think we will see some young players emerge.

I really like what I have seen from Stocker Schumacher & Goddard in the last few weeks as well.

Lot to like. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Had a bit of a cleanup. Folks, remember the purpose of this thread. Try and embrace the sense of community. No need to post every reflex reaction you have.

Thanks

Thank you.
I'd still like this to be a place for good things going on in our club.

I enjoyed the Charlie's Crew day video. Him sledging Cuningham was pretty funny too.

Kruezer back in reserves today doing well
Cripps is the most effective player in the game
Weitering is now the player most thought he would be
Jones has been impressive and mature this year
Walsh was the correct choice at One in a gun draft

Really like our defence and what it's becoming. It's the first part you need to get right and we have. Still has Docherty Williamson maybe Garlett Schumacher Lang and a Silvagni to come in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering and Jones in the backline working beautifully.

Cripps has to be in the running for best midfielder this year, and maybe a Brownlow chance if he stays on the park.

Probably get to see Williamson playing again soon. Cuningham too.

Northern Blues start the season with a win.

Adelaide are almost as bad as us right now.

This time last year our percentage was 61 and we had conceded 438.

It is currently 79 and we've conceded 337.

Points for are essentially the same, but conceded ~100 points less in 4 games, huuuuuge improvement defensively. Jones and Weitering are largely responsible for this.

Ability to hit the scoreboard needs some serious work.

This time last year our percentage was 61 and we had conceded 438.

It is currently 79 and we've conceded 337.

Points for are essentially the same, but conceded ~100 points less in 4 games, huuuuuge improvement defensively. Jones and Weitering are largely responsible for this.

Ability to hit the scoreboard needs some serious work.
Without knowing exact numbers I get the sense that scoring is down heavily across the entire comp this year. But yes, Jones and Weitering have been absolutely terrific.

I ran a new 5km personal best straight after the game, bettering the previous mark I recorded after hearing about Docherty's ACL during pre-season (true story).

Carlton instrumental in improving my running, Andrew Russel really is good.
classic soap :thumbsu:

injury report tomorrow should be pretty positive :thumbsu:

Barring any unexpected additions or lingering players, we should have only the following players unavailable:

- Docherty
- Pickett
- TDK

With a question mark on Fasolo and assuming McGovern and Walsh are fine for next week.

Trending in the right direction, certainly.

Edit: also assuming LeBois and Cottrell don't exist, which is probably true according to the club's perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back