Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
The quality of a team's bottom 6 players can really make a significant difference - if your bottom 6 are weaker then you commit more turnovers and you apply less pressure on opponents and don't hit your forward targets as much. With a poor bottom 6 you could lose 80-60 but with a strong bottom 6 you win 80-60. It can make that much difference.

If we look at our bottom 6 from Sunday's game including the emergencies (i.e. players ranked 20-25) then we have: Casboult Gibbons Lobbe Silvagni Kennedy Polson

If you replaced 5 of them with: Kreuzer Docherty Williamson Cuningham Lang
then we already have a much better team in the next few weeks. And in the next two years we will add another 4 Best 22 players (while losing Simpson and Thomas) through free agents and the draft.

So in 2021 aour bottom 6 may be the likes of:
Murphy Newman ECurnow Plowman O'Brien Lang
which is a far stronger bottom 6 than what we have now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If only footy was this linear. I get the point of having a team with depth but IMO the poor players change every week. I’d argue Big H was easily in the bottom six on Sunday. A bit harsh to include 3 guys who didn’t play. You’re assuming they’d offer little if selected.

I’m more focused on the development of the team to improve the result.

And all teams need stars. You need at least 6 and while we have two genuine stars in Cripps and Docherty it’s the players coming through that excite me. Weitering, Samo, Fisher, Dow, Charlie and Big H.

Go Blues.

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
If only footy was this linear. I get the point of having a team with depth but IMO the poor players change every week. I’d argue Big H was easily in the bottom six on Sunday. A bit harsh to include 3 guys who didn’t play. You’re assuming they’d offer little if selected.

I’m more focused on the development of the team to improve the result.

And all teams need stars. You need at least 6 and while we have two genuine stars in Cripps and Docherty it’s the players coming through that excite me. Weitering, Samo, Fisher, Dow, Charlie and Big H.

Go Blues.
No Walsh?

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

D4VkXnaU8AERZgN.jpg

Positive for me is that we have made limited changes over the four rounds , injury aside , and have been in all the games . Stability.

Something that is lost on a lot a fans ... the only way the team grows is by growing together … the only way to get to 80 odd games is by playing together. This builds synergy, this builds trust, this builds a team, this builds predictable behaviours within the group.

* it … SaCk Boltz

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly. My favourite moment of whole day was straight after loss seeing response of Crippa on the live coverage and seeing Weitering out of his robot mode and getting animated in leadership type mode at same time. Was really good to see how those two both react in a tough time.
I was actually shocked to be sitting here that it was done in such a professional manner..

I don't think it's too shocking to see 2 competitive beasts feeling a little downhearted at all. This core group will bond and learn and grow together.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Something that is lost on a lot a fans ... the only way the team grows is by growing together … the only way to get to 80 odd games is by playing together. This builds synergy, this builds trust, this builds a team, this builds predictable behaviours within the group.

**** it … SaCk Boltz
Where do I sighn...........

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I believe when Marc Murphy plays this week it is some milestone for the Murphy family in that John Murphy and his son have played 500 games in league history. John's Dad played for Hawthorn too. If I see John Murphy at the game watching on will certainly give a celebratory word to him. That is crazy rare family achievement.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Probably about the only ones that got to decide two generations in a row, the father-son rule choice. John decided to not play for his Dad's old club and then Marc decided to not play for his Dad's old club. In fact John made his son ring the coach of that club to inform him of his decision which Marc was scared to do apparently...lol Tried to get his Dad to do it for him. He was not having a bar of it. That coach he had to ring was Leigh Matthews to let him know he decided not to go there.

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I think only 8 families have achieved it - their triple 100 games plus across 3 generations is unique however I believe............

Not really relevant to this topic but on the Murphy’s they have ten best and fairest wins between them - including at least two by each generation and across four clubs. Further the son and grandson chose not to play at their father’s clubs. And to me the most fascinating is the grandfather was the tallest followed by the son and then the grandson. Anecdotally its pretty rare that each generation goes shorter...

Also the Kennedys have played about 4 games more and all 3 played 100+ games. They’ve also won five flags between them to zero for the Murphy’s.

The Silvagnis are about 35 games behind the Kennedys and are at 4 flags - Jack will hopefully help the Silvagnis best the Kennedys for both games played as well as premierships won.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
How good is it to have a reserves team that is winning? Sure, it sounds as though we’ve been fortunate. But you’ve got to be in it to win it. And not only were our VFL side losing last year, but they were getting belted.

Except when your list has aged, a strong reserves makes for a strong seniors. We’ve beaten two traditionally strong reserves sides who act as the feeder to strong senior sides. We’re getting there. Well done Northern Blues!

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
A stat that recognises one of best backlines in the afl:

Rebound 50s - 227 (ranked second)

Balls come into our 50. We get it back out. Our back 6 are ******* amazing. And we’re going it all without confidence. Once we start to build that we will be better than Richmond 2017. AAs in Weitering and jones. Just wait till docherty returns. You just wait.

Last edited:

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
A star that recognises one of best backlines in the afl:

Rebound 50s - 227 (ranked second)

Balls come into our 50. We get it back out. Our back 6 are ******* amazing. And we’re going it all without confidence. Once we start to build that we will be better than Richmond 2017. AAs in Weitering and jones. Just wait till docherty returns. You just wait.

Agree

Add Cripps Brownlow favourite , Walsh Rising Star , McKay’s contested marking .... plenty to like

Our best 15 or so is the equal of most in the comp !!

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Plowman - disposal efficiency - 22nd in AFL
Newman - metres gained - 4th
Cripps - disposals - 10th
Cripps - contested posssessions - 1st (by a long way)
McKay- goals - 16th
Newman - marks - 31st
McKay - contested marks - 1st (by a long way)
Cripps - clearances - 1st (by a long way)
Cripps - tackles - 4th
Weitering - intercepts - 7th

Now that’s positive

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
So we have 8 players tracking to be elite in 2020 (or maybe 2021 for Walsh). That’s remarkable considering where we were 4 years ago.

Our players who are either elite now or tracking to be elite in 2020:
Top 5 fullback - Jones already there
Top 5 CHB/interceptor - Weitering tracking for 2020
Top 5 halfback - Docherty already there
Top 5 ruck - Kreuzer thereabouts when healthy
Top 5 inside mid - Cripps on cusp of being crowned the best player in the comp
Top 5 outside mid - Walsh tracking for 2021 but could be close in 2020
Top 5 CHF - Charlie was tracking for 2020 and should get there
Top 5 small forward - this is the only major gap
Top 5 key/full forward - McKay tracking for 2020 and should be there by the end of this season

And then we have the potentially very good players in Marchbank, Williamson, SPS, Setterfield, Dow, Fisher and McGovern. 1-3 of them could also end up elite or close to it. We could easily have 6 players make the All Australian squad come 2021.

Back