Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Petrevski-Seton’s 2019 stats by average per game: (last year’s in brackets)

- 22 (16) Disposals
- 77% (68%) Disposal efficiency
- 4 (4) Score involvements
- 4 (4) Marks
- 4 (4) Tackles
- 4 (1) Clearances
- 2 (2) Inside 50s
- 2 (1) Rebound 50s
Genuine improvement
1f525.png
1f4aa.png

At the completion of Round 6, 10 teams have a bigger worst losing margin in season 2019 than our 33 points vs the Tiges in Round 1, leaving just 7 teams with a smaller worst losing margin.

In other words, our boys haven’t dropped their bundle once, while 10 of 17 other clubs arguably have, if we (somewhat conveniently) classify “dropping one’s bundle” as a 40 point or more loss. This demonstrates that, despite our injuries, youth, and inexperience, we’re showing the consistency, spirit, character, and general psychological toughness to stay in games - a promising sign for the future.

Some highly fancied clubs, with some shocking results, appear on this snappily named “Bigger Worst Losing Margin Than Us List, 2019 Edition” (please note that in service to the mental health of Bluebaggers everywhere, some of whom inexplicably seem unable or unwilling to spot upward trends, the 2018 edition of this list is not available for public consumption):

The Kangas lost by 82 points vs Freo in Round 1

The Dees lost by 80 points vs the Cats in Round 2

The Suns lost by 73 points vs the Crows in Round 5

The Bummers lost by 72 points vs the Giants in Round 1

The Lions lost by 62 points vs the Pies in Round 5

The Eagles lost by 58 points vs the Cats in Round 6

The Giants lost by 52 points vs the Eagles in Round 2

The Tiges lost by 44 points vs the Pies in Round 2

The Doggies lost by 44 points vs the Blues in Round 5

The Swans lost by 41 points vs the Giants in Round 6

Last edited:
okay it's later in the week... ;) I've looked at it and if you told me at the start of the year that by round 8, we would have been in every single game bar 1, won a game by 44pts, past the 100, have the best percentage in the bottom 5 and only been competitive in one game so far? I'd take that, compared to last year anyway.

Yes, we lost but it was bound to happen, it really was and as the players have said they came into the game thinking it would just 'happen' which is something that can be easily fixed in the upcoming game against Collingwood, we'll regain Krooz (possibly), McGovern, Setterfield and anyone else that warrants selection. Sad we will most likely lose Jones as he's been great but alas we have an okay backline still. I'm just hoping the boys don't go into their shells now that there has been a big loss, I think this year is going to be interesting as other sides have had horrible losses and followed up by beating sides they shouldn't, ie; Bulldogs losing to us by 44pts then two weeks later beating Richmond by 47.

TL-DR - We were bad on the weekend, but there is always next weekend and it's not the end of the world, one week doesn't make a season and we shouldn't lose our marbles over one bad game when we've had 6 good (patchy at times) ones beforehand.

Just my two cents and could be complete s**t but I thought I'd get it off my chest and have a say. I think this is the right thread... ha.

Positives:

Williamson played an AFL game of footy again. There was more than a few of us who were worried that it would never happen.

Walsh is fantastic and didn't stop all game even when senior players dropped their bundle.

Dale Thomas proved once again he's probably our best older leader not named Kade.

vs Pies so many positives:

4 best 22 defenders out but we showed the D word in D50 (head to the depth thread where it’s all happening).

8 & 9 on the park together mean the blues are a chance.

Young mids continuing their good stuff.

Better mids to F50 connection.

Jack creating a spot for himself.
Cunners...so exciting.
Good start by Stocker.
Another game into Willo (has mongrel).

Crippa almost becoming my favorite ever player but still has work to do to displace Harmesy.

The final results are not there yet but we are getting closer. We are so much closer to the top teams than we have been in a long time. A lot of players are showing improvement. Five year plan:
2019 - one more losing season, at least one more big talent in the draft.
2020 - top 8
2021 - top 4
2022 - premiership
2023 - back to back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s just pause for a second. Take a step back. Look at what we have here.

You may watch the media and get angry at their Carton headlining. OR you may look at it and smile. I said it this preseason. Just smile.

We know. Don’t we? Who cares where we finish? Who cares if we miss out on pick 1,2 or 3 because we traded it. I don’t give a stuff. This list, THIS list, is the best group of kids we have had IN MY LIFE. We don’t need any more kids. We actually don’t need much at all.

We are playing finals next year and every year for ten.

So who cares what everyone says? We have IT. A heap of gun kids. It’s so much fun watching them now. There’s so much to look at. “Gee that was great by Dow. Did you see that spoil by Stocker on the goal line? What about SOS getting to that contest he shouldn’t have gotten to? Wow Chuckie C has his ‘launch’ back. Did you see him get Moore out of breath? Until he rolled an ankle he had that guy on TOAST. Did you see that chip by fish to Dow? What a handball by Walsh! My god willo chased like a mad dog. McKay is the best contested make in the game. Wow mcg has some tricks- fast, leap and skill! What about that intercepting by Marchy? Gee he’s moving well now! Cunners has such good break away speed and skill!”

Like think about these moments. They are coming thick and fast. In my long life I’ve never had SO much to look at and enjoy in a young group. Nowhere near it!!!!!!!

Chill!!!! Enjoy!!!!! This NEVER happens!

We have the BEST ypung list in the history of the game. THE END.

I’m not kidding. I’m not exaggerating. This group is amazing.

Think about it: 13 kids played on the weekend. Only 2 pies kids. 4 guys finished injured. FOUR. Horrid run of umpiring.....yet we neRly won! Against the best team in it!

What do you think is ahead??? WHAT??

STOP WHINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

I have one thing to say about positivity, this is the most excited I’ve been since we beat Richmond in the final.

This group of ‘kids’ are going to take us places, they don’t give up is the key ingredient. Yes, they will get pumped again every now and then, but boy it has been an exciting year with no results.

I tell all my friends keep giving me crap about the Blues, but be prepared for it coming back in the 2020’s because it will come back with interest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This year has been nothing short of a disaster so positives a few and far in between but a few can hold their heads up high;

Cripps - maintaining incredible high standards , one of the best in the comp
Walsh - Rising Star of the league , already our 2nd best mid
Newman - pretty happy with this pick up
McKay - v good contested mark & doing well in a rabble of a fwd line
Fisher - continues to improve
Jones - before injury was close to AA full back

Make of it what you will, but Nathan Brown reckons we've got 13 players who have potential to become All Australian at some stage in the future. And that's not counting established players like Cripps, Doc, Kreuzer, Thomas, etc. The other hosts didn't entirely agree with about 5 of them, but none the less.

He listed Curnow, Dow, Fisher, Marchbank, McGovern, McKay, O'Brien, SPS, Setterfield, Walsh, Weitering, Plowman, Stocker.

Part of me thinks he mainly just listed our young high draft picks plus Mitch, however he did say his equivalent list for the Lions only featured 8 names.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/li...otential-all-australians-in-their-side-138415

Would like to share some positive news if i could.

This might not be the right thread and i also know there seems to be a bit of in fighting and groups defending groups etc.
But at the end of the day its only a game..

My 16 year old Daughter has just finished competing at the "Australian Gymnastics Competition".
The Level 10 state team she competed with won a Gold Medal for the teams event.
And last night she won a Gold medal on the Uneven bars for level 10 girls 16 and under .
She also won a Bronze Medal for the overall Champion for girls 16 and under.
She finished in 5th spot in the overall classifications, Which should get her a place in the
AUSTRALIAN team, that competes against the Kiwis..

Far to say, I'm pretty Proud..

Would like to share some positive news if i could.

This might not be the right thread and i also know there seems to be a bit of in fighting and groups defending groups etc.
But at the end of the day its only a game..

My 16 year old Daughter has just finished competing at the "Australian Gymnastics Competition".
The Level 10 state team she competed with won a Gold Medal for the teams event.
And last night she won a Gold medal on the Uneven bars for level 10 girls 16 and under .
She also won a Bronze Medal for the overall Champion for girls 16 and under.
She finished in 5th spot in the overall classifications, Which should get her a place in the
AUSTRALIAN team, that competes against the Kiwis..

Far to say, I'm pretty Proud..
congrats proud dad and bobkitten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back