Universal Love The Positives of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It is mathematically possible to make the 8 still, but yeah it's pretty much season over.

The highlights for me were the glimpses of our champion team that still showed up from time to time at the start of the year.

Running over the top of the Dogs
Blowing the Saints away by 86
Dusty dragging us over the Giants with the rest of our midfield out injured
The 7 goal avalanche against the Bombers

Bolton's early season form and Rioli's transformation in the back end of the year were two big positives. Baker's really impressed me too and I'm no longer sure where his best position is. Maybe he could take the forward spot that's been freed up by Rioli's move. Stack appears to have saved his career too.

We've got the two top contenders for MOTY as well. Botlon's was better IMO and deserves the win.

I don't think we're necessarily finished as a premiereship contender. We, along with a few other teams, just looked really tired this year. Too tired and too injured. A bit of a refresh in the vain of 2016/17 and we could be back in the mix next year. We'll need a better run with injury, which may be difficult given the age of most of our stars now.

despite an ordinary season, still stands that the last time Carlton beat us was that fateful 2013 EF

Honestly, as heart-breaking as that game was, if a time traveler bobbed up as I was walking to Richmond station & told me "don't worry mate, in 8 years at the end of the 2021 season this will still be the last time they beat you" I would have taken it

despite an ordinary season, still stands that the last time Carlton beat us was that fateful 2013 EF

Honestly, as heart-breaking as that game was, if a time traveler bobbed up as I was walking to Richmond station & told me "don't worry mate, in 8 years at the end of the 2021 season this will still be the last time they beat you AND you'll have 3 flags" I would have taken it
EFA :D

The way things are shaping….our 2021 record v top 10 teams may look like this:

V Demons 0-1, 4 scoring shot 32 point loss 😩

V Port 0-1, 2 point interstate away loss, might have been stiff to lose.

V Cats 0-2, 3 beltings by 63 and 38 though the latter was only by 3 s/s. 😩😩

V Bulldogs, 1-0

V Lions 1-1, both games in their home state

V Swans 0-1, belted on our home ground 😩

V Giants 1-1, both at Marvel, admittedly we fell in the one we won

V Bombers 1-0, overran them late for a good win in Perth

V Eagles 0-1, 4 point loss interstate away, probably stiff too.

V Dockers 0-1, 4 point loss interstate away, again might have been a bit stiff.

So overall, a 4-9 record doesn’t look great, but 3 losses by barest margins v only one win, 5 interstate matches v the team playing in their home state v only 3 v interstate teams in our home state(only one of those at our preferred venue.) Almost all if not all of these matches we were worse affected by injuries than the opponent. And umpiring…..

208 frees to Richmond……275 against. F*** me drunk.

There were some very memorable high pressure games in there, especially v Port, Eagles and Fremantle. All things considered I think there were just 2 truly bad performances in there, v Swans and first match v Cats. This was balanced somewhat by 2 very strong performances v Dogs and the win v Lions.

All in all, considering venues, disruption, our erratic draw(only 2 x 7 day breaks for the entire season to date) our injuries, the vile umpiring, the $100k under-funded footy department, our lack of obvious AFL ready depth, the 1-3 ledger in close finishes….

I am taking our performances overall v top 10 teams as a positive for a team missing finals. 😁

Enjoyed watching the VFL. Cumberland is one to really watch. Has great agility, a great step and hits the ball hard and a nice size.
Biggy is an incredible athlete that showed reasonable composure. Not bad for a big raw type. Reckon he will come on over summer and surprise.
CCJ, RCD, Ross and Martyn will all be better for a proper preseeason. The first two in particular have potential to be good players.
Hugo and Dow will get better.
We will get some good low draft pic talent through the door this draft.
Stack, Bolton and Balta have A grade traits and no way hit near their peaks.

Our older players will not get much worse than this year, and if they do, should not be played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one positive in 2021 - one of the best nights I've had in ages (admittedly, I don't go out much, or at all) but Dreamtime on the Swan was brilliant. Unfortunately, one week later was probably the worst moment. Took a few days to get over that one.

Anyway, just stumbled over this photo I took.

Dreamtime on the Swan.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back