The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

Thought I'd put this here as it seems most relevant to this thread.

I am currently in Canberra attending the National Student Leadership Forum where I have had the opportunity to talk with the likes of Malcolm Turnball and Bill Shorten in a Q&A type discussion surrounding current issues and relating that back to leadership.

Part of our trip to Parliament House today involved watching the pollies go at it during Question time, as well as the opportunity to sit down and talk with an MP. Our group had the chance to talk with Minister for Sport, Health and Aged Care, the Hon. Sussan Ley, which was really quite fascinating (especially with the happenings in Parliament today which were very unique - witnessing members scramble around to vote etc.)

Anyway, after a formal sit down and having asked her a decent question, we had a photo and she engaged us with some casual chat. I could not help myself but explain the situation of my beloved Lions and what she could do to help my once great team in her role as Minister for Sport. She told me she was a Swans fan, which I said something to the affect of "so you know the problems our frontier clubs face in a northern market." She told me that this issue interested her and that she would look into the Lion's situation! Haha!

So there you have it, any Federal announcement re: funding for our training and admin facilities can be directly attributed to me. :p

Last edited:
Hey guys

So there you have it, any Federal announcement re: funding for our training and admin facilities can be directly attributed to me. :p

Excellent work Phil!!

By the way, you are now the Brisbane Lions Big Footy official Federal Parliamentary lobbyist. Congratulations.

i can see a positive in the bulldogs story.

2012- 15th. 2013- 15th. 2014- 14th. 2015- 6th. now a GF appearance and maybe a flag.

we are getting great people in place, get aggressive at the draft and some elite player development coaches and strategies in place and you never know where we could be in 2019 and beyond.

i can see a positive in the bulldogs story.

2012- 15th. 2013- 15th. 2014- 14th. 2015- 6th. now a GF appearance and maybe a flag.

we are getting great people in place, get aggressive at the draft and some elite player development coaches and strategies in place and you never know where we could be in 2019 and beyond.

Also known as the "Reverse Buckley".

I don't want to start any code war shitfights, but this shows in terms of crowds while it is obviously poor for AFL standards, we are still doing relatively okay.

Melbourne Storm (minor premiers) average home attendance at AAMI Park INCLUDING home finals: 16461
Melbourne Storm (minor premiers) average home attendance at AAMI Park not counting home finals: 14963
Brisbane Lions (second last) average home attendance at the 'Gabba: 17074

Melbourne population: roughly 4 million
Brisbane population: roughly 2 million

NRL teams in Victoria: 1
AFL teams in Queensland: 2

Plus the fact that the Storm are appealing to watch for a neutral, I've been down to a few of their games this year when I flew down for Lions games in Melbourne (And I hate the Storm). Don't think many would be willing to watch us as a neutral.

It shows that our club at our lowest possible ebb on the field can still outdraw a club that is a benchmark in another code.

I don't want to start any code war shitfights, but this shows in terms of crowds while it is obviously poor for AFL standards, we are still doing relatively okay.

Melbourne Storm (minor premiers) average home attendance at AAMI Park INCLUDING home finals: 16461
Melbourne Storm (minor premiers) average home attendance at AAMI Park not counting home finals: 14963
Brisbane Lions (second last) average home attendance at the 'Gabba: 17074

Melbourne population: roughly 4 million
Brisbane population: roughly 2 million

NRL teams in Victoria: 1
AFL teams in Queensland: 2

Plus the fact that the Storm are appealing to watch for a neutral, I've been down to a few of their games this year when I flew down for Lions games in Melbourne (And I hate the Storm). Don't think many would be willing to watch us as a neutral.

It shows that our club at our lowest possible ebb on the field can still outdraw a club that is a benchmark in another code.
Fare points.

Just hit me how excited I am for next year. New coach, new assistants, new HOF, mature KPD's, what picks we get for Rocky and Hanley, what kids we bring in with those picks, what positional changes the new coach will make with some players, the brand of football we play, further development of our kids. Lot to be excited about, can't wait for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hit me how excited I am for next year. New coach, new assistants, new HOF, mature KPD's, what picks we get for Rocky and Hanley, what kids we bring in with those picks, what positional changes the new coach will make with some players, the brand of football we play, further development of our kids. Lot to be excited about, can't wait for next year.
Then the first game arrives and that excitement dulls and you start looking forward to the next off-season again. :p

Then the first game arrives and that excitement dulls and you start looking forward to the next off-season again. :p

Said like a jaded Lions fan. But chin up, good times will come (slowly at first).

At least there's some optimism there. Hopefully a few of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players really step up next season.

Said like a jaded Lions fan. But chin up, good times will come (slowly at first).

Yeah, good times are coming as long we wait!

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

How many people felt this same excitement when leppa and leigh come in. False dawn folks.......

Sorry force of habit.
I think there was a degree of caution with Leppa, but it was conceded that the club itself was a clusterroot when Voss was here and the more the stories came out it was apparent Voss didnt really have a chance (notwithstanding a couple of bad trades).

I feel more upbeat because I think we are finally addressing the back of house. Now if we get a functioning board we might have a hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back