The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If it all goes to plan andrews might have to convert to ruck duties if he wants to touch the ball. Don't see it getting into defense much

Despite the hate in other threads, I can actually see a point in persisting with Luggage, Cox and Berry. None dropped their heads and Berry seemed to work harder as the game went on. Attitude is hugely underrated in a team that is getting belted and will continue to get belted. All 3 need to time to adjust and find some belief. Shuffling between the 1 & 2's isn't the way to do it.

There's little to no upside in Harwood, Bastinac or even Claye Beams. We've seen them ad nuasem and know their ceilings.

We were never better than bottom 2 or 3 this year, those who are angry have unrealistic expectations.

Personally I like what I see in our team this year, a vastly improved attitude and even though we fade in and out we don't stop. That alone is huge. And if we are learning that as a team we might as we'll include those who will be the backbone of it in years to come.

Despite the hate in other threads, I can actually see a point in persisting with Luggage, Cox and Berry. None dropped their heads and Berry seemed to work harder as the game went on. Attitude is hugely underrated in a team that is getting belted and will continue to get belted. All 3 need to time to adjust and find some belief. Shuffling between the 1 & 2's isn't the way to do it.

There's little to no upside in Harwood, Bastinac or even Claye Beams. We've seen them ad nuasem and know their ceilings.

We were never better than bottom 2 or 3 this year, those who are angry have unrealistic expectations.

Personally I like what I see in our team this year, a vastly improved attitude and even though we fade in and out we don't stop. That alone is huge. And if we are learning that as a team we might as we'll include those who will be the backbone of it in years to come.
Agreed, however, do you think there is merit in playing some bigger, experienced bodies to help the younger guys out and aid us in being competitive in order to prevent the younger guys from dropping their heads and playing in a team that cops big losses every week? I still think guys like Bastinac and Harwood have a part to play in the rebuild even if they aren't going to be anywhere near our best 22 once the rebuild is complete and we're moving back up the ladder.

I think our 3 young guys would benefit more if they all got a run of a few games then rotated with each other. I just think if you replace 2/3 with Bastinac and Bundy, we're instantly a better team due to age and experience on the field.

some good points notliondown, and i didn't see any hate whatsoever for our 3 young guns from the 2016 draft, it was all about player work load management, anyway i'm sure Fagan and co. will do what is best.

Very good post!!
Exactly the comments I love to read from a true supporter. Attitude and effort really is the key. These ingredients combined with talent complete the mix.
Talent alone is not enough ( Ashleigh Sampie as example, wonderful tallent but couldn't keep up the effort)
Our boys will get better and better and now I see that reward for effort is the new mantra at the Lions rather than entitlement.

Agreed, however, do you think there is merit in playing some bigger, experienced bodies to help the younger guys out and aid us in being competitive in order to prevent the younger guys from dropping their heads and playing in a team that cops big losses every week? I still think guys like Bastinac and Harwood have a part to play in the rebuild even if they aren't going to be anywhere near our best 22 once the rebuild is complete and we're moving back up the ladder.

I think our 3 young guys would benefit more if they all got a run of a few games then rotated with each other. I just think if you replace 2/3 with Bastinac and Bundy, we're instantly a better team due to age and experience on the field.

I think there will be teams that we match up on better than others and changes should be made on a number of criteria. Bundy would arguably be better than a number of the current team so his selection is automatic to me when he is ready. But thats not to say it should be at the expense of 1st years by default.

My point is that I think we will cop big losses with Bastinac and Harwood etc in the team anyway. They, and our other fringe players, are not the answer to losing, we've seen that over and over in the last few seasons. Building a level of stability, trust and faith in young players is no doubt an art form, but its hard to instill those values if we drop players constantly.

The ceiling of McLuggage, Berry & Cox certainly appears higher than our current fringe players. Their inclusion builds the belief they belong regardless of win/loss. Age & experience doesn't automatically mean better. Now or in the long run. If we are going to lose, and realistically we are, lose with familiar structures, strategies and build towards something instead of treading water.

I suspect we are far better at managing expectations and building realistic goals inside the club than in previous years, and with that in mind the exposure of those guys to the inevitable loses will be treated as part of the journey not the destination. Which is yet another positive for me at least.

But on your point lionshine about bigger bodies, the Close discussion is the one I can see merit in. To me it's a reasonable debate as to our forward mix when all 3 are young and to various extents raw. That selection mix is one I think we'll see tinkered with on and off all year as that position takes it's toll on even experienced players when the delivery is pretty ordinary and they have to work so hard. Personally I don't think we've seen the ceiling in any of those 3 players so there's gains to be made in exposing all three to AFL regularly.

Something else thats a positive :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I like what I see in our team this year, a vastly improved attitude and even though we fade in and out we don't stop. That alone is huge. And if we are learning that as a team we might as we'll include those who will Its the midd the backbone of it in years to come.
Great post....please add Lester,to the list of outgoing! Its been the middle order ,for ages now, that are the problem...Lester,Bastinac,Bewick, Beames C.Attitude is everything at this stage,and these guys offer no leadership, or consistency. In..Christensen, Close.Dawson,definitely earned it,and either Barrett or Keays. Archie and Witherdon next off the rank.This is a team building operation, not a state of seige.

Darcy Gardiner and Sam Mayes have both been big improvers this season as they enter their 4th and 5th seasons respectively. Last season a fair few of us were commenting on the fact that they were struggling to progress/improve on their rookie seasons and they were both out of contract and rumoured to be potentially on their way out. Their form this season goes to show just how important it is to retain our young talent and continue to put time into them. You fast forward a year and Gardiner and Mayes have been two of our better, consistent performers.

Credit also to Robertson and Taylor who look to be on the right track this year and playing some good footy. I think Robertson in particular will be one who improves week to week and looks more and more comfortable at senior level as he gets that continuity and builds some confidence. If Robertson plays every game this season in the seniors come Round 22 I suspect we'll see a well rounded, confident player who offers a lot of grunt to the side without the skill errors that have littered his game in the early parts of his career.

Last edited:
Great post....please add Lester,to the list of outgoing! Its been the middle order ,for ages now, that are the problem...Lester,Bastinac,Bewick, Beames C.Attitude is everything at this stage,and these guys offer no leadership, or consistency. In..Christensen, Close.Dawson,definitely earned it,and either Barrett or Keays. Archie and Witherdon next off the rank.This is a team building operation, not a state of seige.
Good post Len.
As much as I will never name players unless it's for encouragement, it is really important if the Lions are serious about building and becoming competitive that the tough decisions are made week in and week out.
With leaders like , Swan, Noble, Fagan and Beams I think this will definitely be the case. There will be times that supporters don't agree but I think these guys so far have shown their hand in this area and have laid a foundation of strong intent. "Work hard, play the team role or your in the twos"

I believe that Robertson is the type of player that Fagan is willing to invest time in, because, as others have said, attitude is everything. I suspect that the same is true of Taylor. For those types of players, when they mess up, and they do, it is out of a willingness to do what the team needs.

I get the impression from comments he has made that Fagan will live with costly errors that were made while seeking an advantage or doing the right thing for the team. What he won't cop are errors made on the back of decisions that had no real upside.

I really do think that this is phase one of the plan.
1. Find out who really wants it.
2. Invest in them and live with the errors as they gradually improve.
3. Add top end talent for the next few drafts.
5. Keep lifting the standards.
6. Win.

Rockliff = contested ball beast.

In Tom Rockliff, the Lions have the No.1 clearance man in the competition through the opening month.

The vice-captain has a startling 48 next to his name, well clear of big-name midfielders Rory Sloane (33), Josh Kennedy (32) and Patrick Dangerfield (32).

As someone who wanted him gone, I take my hat off to him. He still needs to make quicker and better decisions (he's not alone there), but his work rate this year is bloody impressive. He had 2 choices after last year, and while I'm extremely happy he's not captain, his on field performance shows his resilience. I get the impression he needs a short leash, but with firm guidance there's no doubt he's one of our best.

I'm not quite sure how he does it, most dominant inside mids these days use strength/size/speed, or just throw themselves at the contest ala Sloane. Rockliff doesn't really have any of those advantages, but he gets the job done anyway.

Also have been quite impressed with Rich, Mayes and in particular Cutler in the backline. Cutler is actually 3rd in the league for Rebound 50s. Would like to see Rich use the ball a little better though.

Harris Andrews' 3rd in the league for 1%ers shows the mammoth effort he has been putting in. Back line have been ok so far this year.

Also have been quite impressed with Rich, Mayes and in particular Cutler in the backline. Cutler is actually 3rd in the league for Rebound 50s. Would like to see Rich use the ball a little better though.
I'd say his habit of taking kick in duties, playing on and just hoofing it up the wing instead of a shorter target has a lot to do with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back