The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd be playing on blokes that are both too short and too slow to get anywhere near him. Wouldn't say he'd learn nothing, but, unless he starts to look jaded with senior footy, not sure he'd get a lot from NEAFL.

Wouldn't be opposed to giving him a run on a wing though. He'll have a few wing man pooing their pants. Running them down one minute - plucking a mark 2 metres above them the next.

He did some really handy stuff up the field last week. At one point we kicked to him even though it was a 3 on 1 and he used his height to spoil perfectly. Stuff like that really fast tracks a player as his team mates will build a lot of confidence in him. Reckon he's good for 2 a week ave this year easily.

Port game was a complete mental lapse and we slipped back to the Lions of 2015-16. Looking forward to next week and the chance for the boys to get some redemption. Dont even need to win, just get that effort and killer instinct back.

I want to see gut running and appetite for the contest.

Not really a positive, but historic fact.

Go back and look at every rebuilding team with the same/similar age/experience as our players. They ALL suffer losses like this. Lapses happen to all rebuilding teams.

I'll use the Hawks as an example. In 2004 (the first year of their rebuild) they won 4 games and had a % of 70 for the year.

They won their first game and went on the lose their next 7, including an 81 point loss to port (ironic). They lost 11 games by over 40 points including 7 over 60 points.

2005, their second year of their rebuild (buddy and Roughys first years) they won 5 games with a % of 82.

They had 8 losses over 40, including a 117 point flogging at the hands of port (* port, flat track bullies for life).

Imo, this is where we're at. Our rebuild is behind due to losing Polec, Doc and Yeo and having guys like Mcguanne and Clarke having their careers cut short.

This year we can expect more big losses, but we can also expect some close losses and some pride restoring wins.

Fwiw, the Hawks won 9 games the year after.

In conclusion: their 2005 list, while getting smashed most weeks, would go on to have 15 premiership players on it. We're on track for 4-5 wins and a similar (likely less) %. Let's not freak out over one bad loss when history says we should expect losses like that to happen. Our focus needs to be on development and learning from those losses. We will get there.

Not really a positive, but historic fact.

Go back and look at every rebuilding team with the same/similar age/experience as our players. They ALL suffer losses like this. Lapses happen to all rebuilding teams.

I'll use the Hawks as an example. In 2004 (the first year of their rebuild) they won 4 games and had a % of 70 for the year.

They won their first game and went on the lose their next 7, including an 81 point loss to port (ironic). They lost 11 games by over 40 points including 7 over 60 points.

2005, their second year of their rebuild (buddy and Roughys first years) they won 5 games with a % of 82.

They had 8 losses over 40, including a 117 point flogging at the hands of port (**** port, flat track bullies for life).

Imo, this is where we're at. Our rebuild is behind due to losing Polec, Doc and Yeo and having guys like Mcguanne and Clarke having their careers cut short.

This year we can expect more big losses, but we can also expect some close losses and some pride restoring wins.

Fwiw, the Hawks won 9 games the year after.

In conclusion: their 2005 list, while getting smashed most weeks, would go on to have 15 premiership players on it. We're on track for 4-5 wins and a similar (likely less) %. Let's not freak out over one bad loss when history says we should expect losses like that to happen. Our focus needs to be on development and learning from those losses. We will get there.
The problem is, l know this is supposed to be a positives thread, but that is the general rebuilding phase for all teams. We aren't "all teams", we are n a state where players dont get the big lights, the crowds or recognised. Mostly every young player wants to play infront of big crowds and do well. A big reason of why we keep failing our rebuild is because our young players keep leaving, we getting back less quality draft picks for lesser players, Go Home 5 a big example. We consequently get younger and a big cycle continues. I would have much much more faith and would likely be less impatient with doing well if l knew that the young guys would stick it out.But because we don't know (Schache, McStay, Cutler etc.) we are all impatient for wins in the hope that they stay.

The problem is, l know this is supposed to be a positives thread, but that is the general rebuilding phase for all teams. We aren't "all teams", we are n a state where players dont get the big lights, the crowds or recognised. Mostly every young player wants to play infront of big crowds and do well. A big reason of why we keep failing our rebuild is because our young players keep leaving, we getting back less quality draft picks for lesser players, Go Home 5 a big example. We consequently get younger and a big cycle continues. I would have much much more faith and would likely be less impatient with doing well if l knew that the young guys would stick it out.But because we don't know (Schache, McStay, Cutler etc.) we are all impatient for wins in the hope that they stay.

Very true, but I'm trying to disregard the big fear of loss because it gets us as fans nowhere. History says if the group stays together we will prosper. History says our current results are pretty standard for rebuilding sides. We're likely 2 years off pushing for the 8 and 3 years off pushing for top 6. Of course none of that matters if we don't retain our players, but worrying about that is pointless.

Very true, but I'm trying to disregard the big fear of loss because it gets us as fans nowhere. History says if the group stays together we will prosper. History says our current results are pretty standard for rebuilding sides. We're likely 2 years off pushing for the 8 and 3 years off pushing for top 6. Of course none of that matters if we don't retain our players, but worrying about that is pointless.
I've always thought top 8 in 2020. After that, I'm not sure of the progress. I'd like to think GC will be one season ahead of us, and apart from GWS, I'm not sure who else will be around the mark. Adelaide possibly on the way down, Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne & Bulldogs.

I've always thought top 8 in 2020. After that, I'm not sure of the progress. I'd like to think GC will be one season ahead of us, and apart from GWS, I'm not sure who else will be around the mark. Adelaide possibly on the way down, Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne & Bulldogs.

Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a random post on BF the other week about Carltons 2020 team (it was pretty good actually) so did something similar with ours and even when I did it to our list our best 22 we were still so damn young. However that core of kept together could be pretty scary. There's a lot of pain currently and (like a broken record) just have to keep our young players together.

I saw a random post on BF the other week about Carltons 2020 team (it was pretty good actually) so did something similar with ours and even when I did it to our list our best 22 we were still so damn young. However that core of kept together could be pretty scary. There's a lot of pain currently and (like a broken record) just have to keep our young players together.
It's the scary part that I look forward to.

Todays positive was Robbo giving it back to Buddy instead of us being bullied all day. Swannys really intimidated us today but Robbo stood up. Loved it & reminded me of the days we had the Scott brothers, Leppa, Mal Michael, Bushy. Man we need more of this instead of being a punching bag that doesn't punch back. ALL FOR ONE & ONE FOR ALL.

Todays positive was Robbo giving it back to Buddy instead of us being bullied all day. Swannys really intimidated us today but Robbo stood up. Loved it & reminded me of the days we had the Scott brothers, Leppa, Mal Michael, Bushy. Man we need more of this instead of being a punching bag that doesn't punch back. ALL FOR ONE & ONE FOR ALL.

Rockliff drawing a line in the sand after Berry was sniped by Mills was great to see too.

Rockliff drawing a line in the sand after Berry was sniped by Mills was great to see too.

Great to see Rock turning the corner the way he has. I've heard nothing but good things in the last 5 months. Well and truly running with his second Chance.

On a dismal day, I thought the return of Paps was really encouraging. Also the games of Keays and Close approached best 22 standard. Both started to look comfortable at the level. Love the Robbos. Looked like MRobbo was on one leg but stayed out there to give some support to the kids. Just love NRobbo. In the last minute he was chasing down the ground as hard as he did in the first quarter.

Worth another look, and lets get it on BF for posterity. Maybe a mod could sticky it to the top of page 1?:)

It has been a long long time since a ballplayer stood up to Franklin like this - he became very limp and passive once Robbo took it up to him...I think he was very surprised that he couldn't bully Robbo. So good to see a Lion with a lionheart ready to stand his ground and not take this nonsense from big Buddy. As a matter of interest what is their size/weight difference?

It has been a long long time since a ballplayer stood up to Franklin like this - he became very limp and passive once Robbo took it up to him...I think he was very surprised that he couldn't bully Robbo. So good to see a Lion with a lionheart ready to stand his ground and not take this nonsense from big Buddy. As a matter of interest what is their size/weight difference?

Franklin is 9cm and 19kg bigger, according to the frequently unreliable and infrequently updated numbers on the club websites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back