The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree totally with Stef Martin. His work rate is fantastic & never gives anything less than 100% effort. His game against Richmond was really really good and think his game assessment suffered because our midfielders lacked impact. Unfairly criticised often. On the other hand, I really don't think Rich's effort has been anywhere near acceptable. His body language is also replicating his performance as he shows no emotion or disappointment when his clangers hurt us often each game. Think Rich is still a good player and show's glimpses of his past but not nearly consistent enough for his experience or expectations.
I don't think Martin has been the same since that May hit.

Way too much positive media about our improvement this year to have any chance of getting one. Last year we were a basket case in the eyes of the media, this year we are not too far away from playing finals again.

Don't think we honestly need one, we haven't had this much talent on our list since our premiership years. Still a few holes to plug but things are looking up.

Way too much positive media about our improvement this year to have any chance of getting one. Last year we were a basket case in the eyes of the media, this year we are not too far away from playing finals again.

Don't think we honestly need one, we haven't had this much talent on our list since our premiership years. Still a few holes to plug but things are looking up.
We are still hugely off the pace. If we have less than 5 wins we should get one. Yes in a couple of years we might be mid table, but we have been struggling for the best part of a dozen years. An extra higher end pick just allows us to plug holes faster.

I feel like the bottom end of our list, i.e. the guys we've been talking about being candidates for being delisted at the end of the year (Clayton, Jansen, Hanley, William, Grewar, Dawson, Eagles, Freeman/Hammelmann etc) - are as good as I can remember. It really is a question of having to delist enough that we meet AFL requirements and have enough room to move at the end of the year for drafting/trading. They all feel like they could be AFL players, given the right situation and form. Big tick for our recruitment/drafting in the last couple of years - very few real spuds.

I feel like the bottom end of our list, i.e. the guys we've been talking about being candidates for being delisted at the end of the year (Clayton, Jansen, Hanley, William, Grewar, Dawson, Eagles, Freeman/Hammelmann etc) - are as good as I can remember. It really is a question of having to delist enough that we meet AFL requirements and have enough room to move at the end of the year for drafting/trading. They all feel like they could be AFL players, given the right situation and form. Big tick for our recruitment/drafting in the last couple of years - very few real spuds.

you could say Jansen and Clayton are spuds. Frost, Bell, Bewick are guys we would want to move on but are unfortunately contracted for next year.

guys we have discussed for delisting as you stated above have not shown enough when given the chance (or shown enough to be given a proper chance) hence they are candidates for delisting. if you can't get a game for the worst team in the competition it is an issue

you could say Jansen and Clayton are spuds. Frost, Bell, Bewick are guys we would want to move on but are unfortunately contracted for next year.

guys we have discussed for delisting as you stated above have not shown enough when given the chance (or shown enough to be given a proper chance) hence they are candidates for delisting. if you can't get a game for the worst team in the competition it is an issue
I think contracts will be paid out and we go hard at list turnover this year. A few contracted for next year may not be around.

We are still hugely off the pace. If we have less than 5 wins we should get one. Yes in a couple of years we might be mid table, but we have been struggling for the best part of a dozen years. An extra higher end pick just allows us to plug holes faster.

Yeah I agree we've been struggling but everyone can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. The media were sympathetic to our plight last year so it was much easier for the AFL to give us a PP. This year although we are still young we have a much more promising list that will see us rise up the ladder pretty quickly over the next few years. Add Cameron, have a good run with injuries and we will win 8-10 games.

Don't think we're that far away.

I think contracts will be paid out and we go hard at list turnover this year. A few contracted for next year may not be around.

its very rare that something like that happens, most of the time they are traded or the players are held on.

given the losses we are making and the financial funding the afl is providing us, I doubt this would be something we are allowed to go

Yeah I agree we've been struggling but everyone can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. The media were sympathetic to our plight last year so it was much easier for the AFL to give us a PP. This year although we are still young we have a much more promising list that will see us rise up the ladder pretty quickly over the next few years. Add Cameron, have a good run with injuries and we will win 8-10 games.

Don't think we're that far away.
I agree we aren't the basket case we were and we will get some relevance, but 8 -10 wins still puts as near the bottom.

I want glory and I want it NOW.

NOW, NOW, NOW.

Not that a priority pick is the difference between mediocrity and success, but it helps.

its very rare that something like that happens, most of the time they are traded or the players are held on.

given the losses we are making and the financial funding the afl is providing us, I doubt this would be something we are allowed to go
How will we trade out Bell, Bewick etc.?

We still need to pay a %age of full cap. Take the pain now and turn over the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we would need to hold onto them and ride it out till theyre gone
We will see, but Noble isn't just going to let guys "serve out" their time.

And while the AFL may not give us a pp, Gil has hinted at other ways to get the club out of the mire more quickly. Add that to club comments about wanting players who can be part of a premiership and not just happy to be here, or trying to extend their careers, I think assessments have been made.

Duh, Collingwood or West Coast will take them.
They couldn't be that stupid again....though we took Fev...glass houses, stones etc etc

It is just wonderfully satisfying when Collingwood steals a player from another club, usually by playing hard ball and then they just spud it up at the pies.

They couldn't be that stupid again....though we took Fev...glass houses, stones etc etc

It is just wonderfully satisfying when Collingwood steals a player from another club, usually by playing hard ball and then they just spud it up at the pies.

They think they take the other team out of the player but they're really just putting the Collingwood in them.

Laughable they are paying Mayne that much and they gave us 2 second round picks for Aish. The list goes on and on.

They think they take the other team out of the player but they're really just putting the Collingwood in them.

Laughable they are paying Mayne that much and they gave us 2 second round picks for Aish. The list goes on and on.
Sticking the Collingwood into them can't be good on any level

It would be a Big statement action by the club. With the increase in salary cap it is a possibility, but I don't particularly support the idea.

It would be an unsettling precedent - other players would be aware of the possibility that their contracts could end every end-of-year meaning their development/ impress the coaches individual play style could override team development.

I'd want to know that if i have a multi-year contract in place I'm going to get those years to get the best out of myself while putting the team needs before my own.

It would be a Big statement action by the club. With the increase in salary cap it is a possibility, but I don't particularly support the idea.

It would be an unsettling precedent - other players would be aware of the possibility that their contracts could end every end-of-year meaning their development/ impress the coaches individual play style could override team development.

I'd want to know that if i have a multi-year contract in place I'm going to get those years to get the best out of myself while putting the team needs before my own.
There is a couple on our list I wouldn't mind paying out but I agree with you, paying out contracts should be left to extraordinary circumstances eg. 2nd/3rd strike drug offences, criminal acts, Fev acts etc... not as a list management tool.

Change of regime, doesn't mean it will happen every year. Fagnob needs to build their own team and both those guys aren't getting any younger.

No point in treading water.

There is a couple on our list I wouldn't mind paying out but I agree with you, paying out contracts should be left to extraordinary circumstances eg. 2nd/3rd strike drug offences, criminal acts, Fev acts etc... not as a list management tool.
The only one that i see this as any likelyhood would be Tom Bell.
If he decides that he has been overtaken and will be too hard to come back after his recent injury. I would be inclined to pay him out this year to create another list spot if needed. But i think in that scenario it would need to be Tom who makes that decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back