The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So north Melbourne finished 15th in 2017. Based on their 2018 draw we should get double games against the following:
Carlton
Gold Coast
Port
Essendon
Melbourne

I can see us winning 7 out of those 10 games which means we need to win 6 of our remaining 12 games to play finals (st kilda, western bulldogs, Freo, hawthorn , north Melbourne, Geelong).

Also based on Norths draw I have our schedule as follows (home and away timing will change it no doubt):

Gold Coast
Essendon
North Melbourne
St kilda
Adelaide
Geelong
Hawks
West coast.
Melbourne.
Freo.
Carlton.
Richmond.
Port.
Sydney.
Gold Coast
Essendon
Western bull.
Geelong
Collingwood
Carlton
GWS
Melbourne
Port

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
So north Melbourne finished 15th in 2017. Based on their 2018 draw we should get double games against the following:
Carlton
Gold Coast
Port
Essendon
Melbourne

I can see us winning 7 out of those 10 games which means we need to win 6 of our remaining 12 games to play finals (st kilda, western bulldogs, Freo, hawthorn , north Melbourne, Geelong).

Also based on Norths draw I have our schedule as follows (home and away timing will change it no doubt):

Gold Coast
Essendon
North Melbourne
St kilda
Adelaide
Geelong
Hawks
West coast.
Melbourne.
Freo.
Carlton.
Richmond.
Port.
Sydney.
Gold Coast
Essendon
Western bull.
Geelong
Collingwood
Carlton
GWS
Melbourne
Port
IIRC we only get double up games against fellow bottom 6 sides on a maximum of 3 occasions. We will obviously get the Suns twice but we could also luck out and grab the Bulldogs and Dockers(Jess Hogan?) both possible/likely improvers as our other 2 double ups.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IIRC we only get double up games against fellow bottom 6 sides on a maximum of 3 occasions. We will obviously get the Suns twice but we could also luck out and grab the Bulldogs and Dockers(Jess Hogan?) both possible/likely improvers as our other 2 double ups.
I simply went off what North got this year which was double ups against the following with their prior year finish also stated.
Suns 17th
St kilda 11th
Sydney 5th
Brisbane 18th
Western bulldogs 10th

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fixture based on ladder position is a guide with minimums and maximums. Plenty of scope to provide a difficult or easy draw at each level. The overriding factor will be venue and TV draw cards. We're not good enough, nor favoured enough to get a favourable draw. Comparing us with a Melbourne club who looked like they could be competitive is folly. We'll tough it out again in 2019, but if you're looking for a 'positive', I'd suggest that if injuries stay away, we could be exciting enough to win a better chop at it in 2020.

Even though its pretty obvious to everyone that the club is better placed than 12 months ago, this year shows that when you're in the bottom 4 there is no such thing as an easy draw. We were beaten by sides that we should have beaten.

When you compare where the suns are with their list and where we are, we beat them once and not by much.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even though its pretty obvious to everyone that the club is better placed than 12 months ago, this year shows that when you're in the bottom 4 there is no such thing as an easy draw. We were beaten by sides that we should have beaten.

When you compare where the suns are with their list and where we are, we beat them once and not by much.

It didn't help that we played the teams immediately above and below us on the ladder only once and all away from home - lost to St Kilda and the dogs at etihad, beat Freo in Perth. We also only got to play Carlton once - we were unlucky to get two games against North and Collingwood. The two GC games were up there with our worst performances of the season.

I'm confident we were comfortably better than our win loss record this year. This doesn't mean we will win 12 games next year or anything though - I still think 8-10 wins is the most realistic outcome.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can Rayner featured so far in 3/9 of the top ten photos of the year put out by the club on their official instagram. Noone else has more than one incl established stars zorks, beams, Hodge, CC

Marketing and highlight machine with what seems to be the temperament to match being in the spotlight.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can Rayner featured so far in 3/9 of the top ten photos of the year put out by the club on their official instagram. Noone else has more than one incl established stars zorks, beams, Hodge, CC

Marketing and highlight machine with what seems to be the temperament to match being in the spotlight.
He has a humble bit of swagger about him I just cant get around at the moment. He struts the stuff on field but on camera he seems surprised/ecstatic to have an opportunity. Most kids his age and skill have had their wheels pumped up all their life and struggle to fit their head through the door on the way in. Rayner doesn't strike me as that.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Slow day today so thought I would have a look at a 21 years of age and under (as of today*) side for us, looking positive for the 2020s.:D:fire::footy:

Mitchell Hinge, Sam Skinner, Jack Payne.
Cedric Cox, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden.

Connor Ballenden, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage
Rhys Matheison, Zac Bailey, Ely Smith.

Tom Joyce, Eric Hipwood, Cameron Rayner.
Thomas Berry, Toby Wooller, Brandon Starcevich.

Corey Lyons, Connor McFadyen, Ben Keays, Jacob Allison.

Depth- Noah Answerth, James Madden, Tom Fullarton.

* Harris turns 22 in 10 days, poor old dad.

I think we have most bases covered, Ballenden in the ruck but the big O and Archie are young guys. I like the look of our young midfield brigade, pace, grunt and flair.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Slow day today so thought I would have a look at a 21 years of age and under (as of today*) side for us, looking positive for the 2020s.:D:fire::footy:

I think we have most bases covered, Ballenden in the ruck but the big O and Archie are young guys. I like the look of our young midfield brigade, pace, grunt and flair.
Looking at that we need more mids and small defenders. Mids are obvious but I'm definitely not sold on Skinner, Payne, Hinge, Cox which is a concern - think we are find for KPDs but the smalls are poor. Can see why we were after HBs this year and most likely next as well. Trade in a mature ruck when we are pushing top 4.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking at that we need more mids and small defenders. Mids are obvious but I'm definitely not sold on Skinner, Payne, Hinge, Cox which is a concern - think we are find for KPDs but the smalls are poor. Can see why we were after HBs this year and most likely next as well. Trade in a mature ruck when we are pushing top 4.
No need to worry over Payne and Skinner (knees are fine and I refuse to believe it will happen again).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No need to worry over Payne and Skinner (knees are fine and I refuse to believe it will happen again).
Putting hands over our eyes and hoping it won't happen doesn't make it any less likely to happpen. You would have to think it is not as likely anymore to have a significant career due to all the ACLs. Very much hoping he can stay on the park with us as he looks like a talent, however, Payne just looks like that ultimate gorilla (like Adams) and it won't take him long to adjust to senior footy.

From a list management point of view, we’re set up really well.

Heading into the season, we should really have 4 players who’s personal goals should include making the All Australian Squad of 40. Neale, Zorko, Andrews and Cameron. 3 have made it in the past 2 years, and as discussed in another thread, Charlie I believe is very capable.

From your list in the quote, We should also dominate the 22 under 22 squad. Andrews, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage, Hipwood and Rayner, all look entrenched in our best 22. With their obvious talents and the opportunity they’ll receive, they should aiming to make that squad.

I don’t really see another club, who realistically have 4 players pushing for All Australians selection, with another 5 players (6 if you include Andrews in both list, who should be Captain too) pushing the AFL under 22.

It think we will definitely have an improve year, but would be nice to get a few individual awards too. Means we’re gaining more respect league wide, which feeds the belief from others of our potential. Maybe help potentially land another Neale in the off-season

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From a list management point of view, we’re set up really well.

Heading into the season, we should really have 4 players who’s personal goals should include making the All Australian Squad of 40. Neale, Zorko, Andrews and Cameron. 3 have made it in the past 2 years, and as discussed in another thread, Charlie I believe is very capable.

From your list in the quote, We should also dominate the 22 under 22 squad. Andrews, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage, Hipwood and Rayner, all look entrenched in our best 22. With their obvious talents and the opportunity they’ll receive, they should aiming to make that squad.

I don’t really see another club, who realistically have 4 players pushing for All Australians selection, with another 5 players (6 if you include Andrews in both list, who should be Captain too) pushing the AFL under 22.

It think we will definitely have an improve year, but would be nice to get a few individual awards too. Means we’re gaining more respect league wide, which feeds the belief from others of our potential. Maybe help potentially land another Neale in the off-season
Is it time for you to change your username to Martin Mcinnerny combo?

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Same - if I have hope, it can be dashed!

The worst part. I still remember when Lions away games were telecast from 10pm. Three hour telecast had me up to 1am. Of course q1 and q2 were always bad, q3 would come and we’d improve and the score line would be closer. Only to be beaten well and truly in q4 and lose the game. My brother and I would exchange txt’s at 3q time...they’re just getting our hopes up you know. Inevitably that was almost always the case.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes feeling positive about the season for the first time in years, I am trying to keep a lid on expectations. We may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I feel at least we are in the tunnel now.

Yes feeling positive about the season for the first time in years, I am trying to keep a lid on expectations. We may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I feel at least we are in the tunnel now.
If we can't see the light knaf we are trapped in there. Quick send for the rescuers.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back