The positives thread

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Say what you like about Matho the M/F has looked stronger around the contest since he was selected.
They showed a graph I think before the game of some stats with and without Mathieson in the team this year and the numbers were vastly better with Rhys in the team. Agreed say what you like about him, but he is improved our team, no doubt. Even more reason that the decision o not play him against Essendon was wrong and I think, cost us 4 points.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah it was a solid effort by Andrews - did a lot good. Anyone expecting him to stop some of Kings shots at goals are kidding themselves.
yeap that is footy sometimes forwards take marks no matter how good or otherwise the defender is.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They showed a graph I think before the game of some stats with and without Mathieson in the team this year and the numbers were vastly better with Rhys in the team. Agreed say what you like about him, but he is improved our team, no doubt. Even more reason that the decision o not play him against Essendon was wrong and I think, cost us 4 points.
Rhys has been great. Good addition to the 22. Fingers crossed he keeps that intensity for the remainder of the year.
Move on regarding the Essendon game mate. It was over a month ago and what's done is done...jeez.
We lost because of having 9 out of the side. Pure & simple. Had nothing to do with Rhys in or out.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rhys has been great. Good addition to the 22. Fingers crossed he keeps that intensity for the remainder of the year.
Move on regarding the Essendon game mate. It was over a month ago and what's done is done...jeez.
We lost because of having 9 out of the side. Pure & simple. Had nothing to do with Rhys in or out.
Say what you like, but given how Rhys has imporved our team, it was pretty ridiculous to exclude him from that line up and up there with naming Fort sub against Richmond. Anyway, I am more interested in celebrating the impact Rhys has had on the team and can't help but wonder with that Essendon game due to how tight the ladder is and what that extra 4 points does.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Harris has been improving of recent weeks and is handling the big dogs better than he has in the past 12 months. When we get belted in the M/F there's not a lot can be done sometimes.

Say what you like about Matho the M/F has looked stronger around the contest since he was selected.

I still believe our forwards need to do more chasing and harassing and pleased to see Charlie has picked up a lot in this regard of recent weeks.

We're playing a rung below the Top 2 or 3 at present but if we're in there anything can happen and if we put it all together on the night and everyone plays their role we can win any match. Provided a Melbourne or Geelong don't have a day out as well.

We will look stronger again with Adams and Ah Chee in.
think we would be stronger with Adams, Ah Chee and Payne in the team, Payne played pretty well against Demons last time, and apart from a poor 3rd Q against Bombers has been really consistent. He offers the advantage of playing on talls or fast mid tall forwards. I would also like to see Prior also on the wing but can understand the argument that Ah Chee is probably at this stage just ahead, but give Ah Chee time to fully recover and give Prior another run.

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
For all the doom and gloom on here about how our premiership window is closing, our best players are passed it, Fagan needs to be sacked, whatever, we're now one (home game) win away from our 4th consecutive top four finish and another crack at a flag. Our list is relatively healthy. Rayner just won a game off his own boot and would be full of confidence heading into the finals series. On top of it all, we're getting the number one pick in the draft who looks to be a generational talent that could have an immediate impact on par with Walsh or Daicos in their first years. Our age profile is pretty damn great and there's no reason this squad can't remain in contention for the next 3+ years. Most importantly, players like McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, etc. (the present and future of this club) have developed inside a winning culture which has the potential to totally transform the club into a period of sustained success ala Geelong or Sydney. We win far more games than we lose and as such we should hopefully remain a destination club at the trade table.

Life as a Lions supporter is great and it's amazing how quickly some people on here have become spoiled by our recent success (even if we haven't won a flag with this squad yet).
THIS <3

So happy I dont follow Essendon, Norf, Crows, Hawthorn, Eagles & GWS. They have a long road before their supporters have any finals excitement.
dont think adelaide are too far off it personally, especially if they clear out the remaining cultural deadwood from the camp saga

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Say what you like, but given how Rhys has imporved our team, it was pretty ridiculous to exclude him from that line up and up there with naming Fort sub against Richmond. Anyway, I am more interested in celebrating the impact Rhys has had on the team and can't help but wonder with that Essendon game due to how tight the ladder is and what that extra 4 points does.
It's hard to let go because on top of not playing him, they wouldn't even put him in as sub when Marcus Adams was on one leg (Adams was injured enough to not even be an option to put on Peter Wright). When we were getting smacked for clearances, to not put a FRESH clearance player on to at least change things up makes the Fort sub decision look like utter genius.

Of course we will never know if it would have won us the game, but the decision not to bring on Mathieson will forever stump me. Especially when other clubs use the sub rule so cynically...

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So happy I dont follow Essendon, Norf, Crows, Hawthorn, Eagles & GWS. They have a long road before their supporters have any finals excitement.
😂 I’ve been on the Eagles board a bit this year.

Many there believe they’ll be back in the finals real quick, because “we’re the Eagles, we don’t do “sucking” and we’re the richest club in the country”.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
dont think adelaide are too far off it personally, especially if they clear out the remaining cultural deadwood from the camp saga
Mmmm I believe they have a bit to go yet.

They have a pretty small midfield, and still light on for KPP’s (especially if they lose their Sandy boys at the end of the season).

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's hard to let go because on top of not playing him, they wouldn't even put him in as sub when Marcus Adams was on one leg (Adams was injured enough to not even be an option to put on Peter Wright). When we were getting smacked for clearances, to not put a FRESH clearance player on to at least change things up makes the Fort sub decision look like utter genius.

Of course we will never know if it would have won us the game, but the decision not to bring on Mathieson will forever stump me. Especially when other clubs use the sub rule so cynically...
Add in the fact we played with an extra tall defender that game (Adams, Payne, Fullerton and Lester), so had coverage for talls. I should forget about as this is the positives thread.

We have made finals again (Despite all my misgivings this year). Its a great position to be in compared to 4 or 5 years ago

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
😂 I’ve been on the Eagles board a bit this year.

Many there believe they’ll be back in the finals real quick, because “we’re the Eagles, we don’t do “sucking” and we’re the richest club in the country”.
damn reality is going to brutal for them if that's what they think

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
damn reality is going to brutal for them if that's what they think
There’s some who know what they’re in for.

There’s other who believe they can do it in 3 drafts, and last years draft was the first.

While others are saying this year zero of the rebuild.

But there are still a lot who repeat, “we’re the Eagles, we don’t stay down for long” mantra. Being out of finals three years running is incompressible to them.

Currently 4th in the AFL, 2nd in the VFL and considered by most to one of the four top echelon teams in the AFLW. These positions could change after this weekend's game, but still an impressive achievement considering everything.

Currently 4th in the AFL, 2nd in the VFL and considered by most to one of the four top echelon teams in the AFLW. These positions could change after this weekend's game, but still an impressive achievement considering everything.
Just quietly I'm hoping we grab our second AFLW premiership this year since we haven't lost that much compared to Adelaide and Freo.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
the pundits seem to think so. I see them as big favs a few places.

I really hope we smash this season. Finally Adelaide feel the cold sting of departing stars

Back